When is high speed internet coming to my area?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Neighbour

I live in bearspaw area which is NW of Calgary, which is just on the city limit. It's 2015 now, and still no sign of high speed internet in our area. I am just wondering when is Telus going to expend the high speed internet to the area? I really want to use optik the service too, but I guess no high speed internet no optik tv.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

I have found that older parts of Bearspaw do seem to have up to 6mbps ADSL available. For example: Blueridge Rise, Bearspaw Village Cres, Bearspaw Village Dr, etc.

Watermark seems to have fiber installed and all addresses I've tried all have 100mpbs and Optik TV available.

Are you in an older house or Watermark? What do you see available when you put your address in http://www.telus.com/en/ab/webapps/qual/index.do ?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. πŸ™‚
Highlighted
Neighbour

When I put my address in, it just show that Internet is not available in my area. And I'm in a older house on coyote valley road. Also, for some reason that only the people live at beginning of the the road had  ADSL and no high speed for them either. For us, we don't have ADSL or high speed internet.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Well DSL is limited by distance. The further away from the distribution point, the slower the speed and after a certain distance the line resistance gets too high to support high speed at all. The huge distance between houses on Coyote Valley Rd also will reduce the chance of getting high speed.

While having a very expensive house and big piece of property outside the city is very nice, it comes with trade-offs. The simple fact that you are that distance outside of the city will mean that that road is very unlikely to get anything soon. Even near Bearspaw School, there is no DSL available.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. πŸ™‚
Highlighted
Neighbour

So is there any hope that Telus will one day provide the service there? 

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

One day it's possible I imagine. Just be a matter of when considering how much Calgary is growing.