When can i get hook up to fibre optics, 100mbps on copper and upgrade to a faster AC router

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Ambassador

When can i get hook up to fibre optics for Fleetwood, Surrey, BC, When can i 100mbps to my house, someone said you can get it on copper, when is 3.4 client optik tv software upgrade coming to Surrey,BC too?, i talk to london drug yesterday and then said you can plug in your own AC router to the telus A1000H router but the guy said the telus routers suck, so when is there going to be a upgrade to old and new people router wanting the new best ones?, when is there going to be more features on optik tv on xbox one's oneguide? why is telus getting ride of optik tv on the 360 too, i was think to give my sister my old xbox for her to use for youtube and optik tv and later on my old 32inch sony tv. if ever shaw puts up faster internet speed like the 250 or one gigabit speed, could i get telus tv and shaw internet? will the telus routers ever have the opsion to connect a Network bay backup drive to the routers? when will fibre optic be in the houses? when will home phone with 5 feature ever cheap? everyone going to smartphones now?

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Searching would have probably answered most of your questions.

1. Surrey has all buried lines (power, cable, phone etc) so installing new fiber, especially to existing areas is likely never going to happen. New builds/areas, yes.
  2. Upgraded Optik software? If they have a new release, that usually gets sent out in waves randomly. You'll get it when it's available for you. As long as your box is on it should get the update automatically.
  3. I don't trust anything from London Drugs. Try Memory Express or NCIX instead. Much better. Also it's V1000H, not A.
  4. AC routers won't give you any real added benefit since the internet connection will be far slower than AC is anyways plus you'd need devices specifically that support AC to even take advantage of it (unless London Drugs is trying to scam you into buying an AC router)
  5. If you were paying attention here you'd know from the many threads that the V1200H allows you to connect your router bridged and that would resolve most of your questions here.
  6. Xbox One guide? That has nothing to do with Telus. Telus is dropping Optik for Xbox as it is since the developer abandoned it a while ago. AT&T dropped Xbox support a year ago. Telus was being nice and kept it active longer than it needed to. This is not a new subject here.
  7. Network bay backup drive? Never heard of it. Do you mean Network Attached Storage or plugging in a USB drive to the modem?
  8. Gigabit internet is just a way to scam uninformed people out of money. The extreme majority of servers out there wouldn't even be able to push gigabit speeds to you when you try downloading etc from them. Many of them can't even come close to saturating a 100mbit connection.
  9. Fiber optics will never be inside houses as copper is much easier to run, less prone to damage, and can be faster than your PC can push data anyways.
  10. Again read point 5.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. πŸ™‚
Highlighted
Ambassador

Yes, this: Network Attached Storage, like this http://www.ncix.com/detail/seagate-nas-pro-4-bay-a1-103269.htm

Thanks for all the info bro!! πŸ˜ƒ

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

A 20TB NAS? I don't know anyone that has something like that outside of a business environment. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. πŸ™‚
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

A 20TB NAS? I don't know anyone that has something like that outside of a business environment.

I know some amateur videographers using such data volumes, but that's about it!

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Ambassador

Some services are above ground! Dixon just installed fibre optics ending in december of last year, there will be one gigabit services in the next decade or so, here a youtube from telus for installing fibre optic to home! : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U6hT3NRAsc

Now i got the xbox one with ac dual band on it but i have a 5 port d-link switch but its now full with laser printer,cable box,xbox one and later on a gaming pc, so could i hook up my ac router to my swtch thats connect to the V1200H? when will i able to upgrade to the V2200H? is that only for fibre optics? how does someone get two phones lines going to telus modem/router and i thinking of upgrade my speed when it comes available to me and so on

Highlighted
Ambassador
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Why? That router is such ultra overkill it's insane. I saw the review NCIX did on it's smaller sibling - the AC3200. If you had gigabit internet and a dozen heavy users in the house, sure, I could see that router being usable though likely still overkill. Don't expect to get the full available wifi speed the router is capable of on one device either. See the NCIX review and they explain why. 

Highlighted
Ambassador

o, ok, thanks for all the info!!