What's Telus Fibre exactly?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Neighbour

I have fibre in my house for over 2 years now (Internet 100) but when I check at fibre.telus.com it says it's not available in my area yet (I'm in Okotoks). 

Is Telus Fibre more than just fibre to home? Maybe a different infrastructure?

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Telus has Internet 100 which doesn't necessarily mean it's fiber to the house itself as it can work over copper lines as well if you have the bonded gateway. Fiber is completely separate infrastructure from the old copper lines VDSL comes in over.

Many very new neighborhoods are starting off with fiber being installed instead of copper, though it's more common in the larger cities. Okotoks might be getting that treatment for new builds.

Do you have hardware that looks like the two white boxes below?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Fibre means reliability.... no more copper wire thefts.  Sadly... are copper thieves smart enough to know this.

Highlighted
Neighbour

Thanks Nighthawk. I wasn't very clear in my post. What I meant is that I have fibre in my house for over 2 years now (yes, I have the fibre modem and the ups unit as the picture you posted).

xl, thanks for the philosophical answer, hehehe. I understand what Fibre is, my question was specifically regarding the product "Telus Fibre"

By the way, I checked with Telus via chat and the 150 is indeed available in my area. I guess the issue is with the website that checks for availability.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

150 won't be on the availability tool yet as it's only a soft launched package. When it's officially launched, it should show on the website as available.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂