What is the cheapest internet available?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

LeeDeweert
Resident

I would like to have the internet in my home, however, all I need is 1.5 MBPS speed. I don't need very much bandwidth and I would like to pay accordingly.

Right now, my bill is $35.00 per month promotional. After 12 months it will go up to $60.00 per month. Even $35.00 is too expensive for me!! Rather than cancel the internet and be forced to use public library internet, I'd like to keep it in my home for something reasonable.

Give me slow internet, and keep my bill small!!! (Id rather not go back to dial-up)

Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

Unless you shlurp from a neighbour, or go back to dial-up, $45 ( a bit less with a bundle) seems to be about the cheapest option available.

If your download volume is truly small, and you have a smartphone, possibly tethering would work for you. Watch for sales.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Most Helpful
LeeDeweert
Resident

Thanks for the reply. Yea that's what I thought.

I might just end up leeching off my wifes iPhone data account. Problem comes if she's not there and I need the internet (I guess if I NEED it I can just bike my ass over to the library).

Might have to see how much more money it is to get more data. She seems to burn through 5 GB data easily over the 3G network (or is it 4g now, I dont know). Sharing WIFI is definitely an option with the naybes.

Here's a relevant blog post by Mr. Money Mustache.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/05/16/internet-sharing-how-to-get-revenge-on-the-cable-company/