What do I need?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Neighbour

Greetings,  I have few years old LG HD tv with 1080 dpi.  I have a home computer PC running XP.  I want to run Netflix movies on my tv and play movies on a player while getting the best out of my tv.  I don't believe I have enough internet speed for playing HD Netflix movies and I don't know if Telus can deliver what I need (I believe 5 mbps) to my address.  I think I have my wireless set up correctly so I don't think I need an HDMI cale running under my rug to the tv.  What do I need and what do I ask about to ensure that I can get the best feed for what I want?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Click on this link to confirm your current speeds...

http://rimouski.speedtest.telus.com/

Works best when the connection is not shared with someone downloading videos....

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Most Helpful
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

I would only use http://www.speedtest.net for any speed test, the one above sometimes doesn't give the greatest results.

Hope this helps you!

H_D

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Neighbour

Using Speedtest, I come in at 2.65 Mbps.  To what 'price per month' level must I subscribe to, to get 6 Mbps?  I live out in the countryside so maybe I'm already at my limit.

Highlighted
Most Helpful
CPU Alum
CPU Alum
To clarify, what is your closest rural town and how far are you from it?

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User
You may wish to review the discussions by searching the term "slow internet" on this site. There are a number of possibilities for your speed being what it is.
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Neighbour

I'm about 60 kms. away from Vancouver, and the speed I'm getting now is what I paid for.  I was just wondering if someone at Telus oversees this forum and could tell me what higher speeds are still available to me (for a higher cost).  I'm pretty sure optical cable isn't,. but what else?

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Coach

Hello,

The only way to confirm service availability in your area is to contact TELUS customer care at 310-2255.

They will look into a plan that better suits your needs, if available to your residence.

-M

All Replies
Highlighted
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee
Hey,

The run Netflix properly you need about 3Mbps for standard definition and around 6Mbps for high speed. To get the best possible connection you would want to try a wired connection instead of a wireless connection if possible and if you have any having system like an Xbox or PlayStation you can also access the Netflix app through there.

Hope this helps you!

H_D
Highlighted
Most Helpful
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Click on this link to confirm your current speeds...

http://rimouski.speedtest.telus.com/

Works best when the connection is not shared with someone downloading videos....

Highlighted
Most Helpful
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

I would only use http://www.speedtest.net for any speed test, the one above sometimes doesn't give the greatest results.

Hope this helps you!

H_D

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Neighbour

Using Speedtest, I come in at 2.65 Mbps.  To what 'price per month' level must I subscribe to, to get 6 Mbps?  I live out in the countryside so maybe I'm already at my limit.

Highlighted
Most Helpful
CPU Alum
CPU Alum
To clarify, what is your closest rural town and how far are you from it?

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User
You may wish to review the discussions by searching the term "slow internet" on this site. There are a number of possibilities for your speed being what it is.
NFtoBC

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Neighbour

I'm about 60 kms. away from Vancouver, and the speed I'm getting now is what I paid for.  I was just wondering if someone at Telus oversees this forum and could tell me what higher speeds are still available to me (for a higher cost).  I'm pretty sure optical cable isn't,. but what else?

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Coach

Hello,

The only way to confirm service availability in your area is to contact TELUS customer care at 310-2255.

They will look into a plan that better suits your needs, if available to your residence.

-M

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Kitlani wrote:

Try here: http://www.telus.com/internet/  Click on Learn More and enter your phone number. It will let you know if that service is available in your location.

NFtoBC