What are my options to improve my internet in my bedroom?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

emmybeans
Neighbour
The account is in my roommates name so I don't know much about it. All I know is it's the fastest speed and we have wifi plus. I don't get much of a connection in my room and lately it's gotten worse. I cannot even watch netflix or use Facebook on my phone. I have a ps3, a ps4, a nintendo switch and an andriod box that I want better connections on. I have tried a wifi extender and that didn't help. I make sure to unplug everything but the device I am using to limit what's connected to the network. I wanted to try a poweline adapter but everyone in my house is opposed to that because of the noise. I do have a Coax outlet in my room and am interested in trying MoCA but my downstairs roommates are using Coax for shaw internet. So I don't know if it's possible. I also have a phone line in my room. I'm not sure if there is any way that could be used to install another modem and router or something? Or does telus have a service where they can run a long ethernet cable all the way from the living room to my bedroom? Or maybe I can find a company in my town that can do that for me? Basically just looking for all of my options so I can pick the best one. I'm not very tech savy so please use terms that someone like me can understand.

Accepted Solutions
Most Helpful
BillTelusCust
Rockstar

Capture.PNG

So I have the ISP modem in bridge moode, then I have the Orbi base unit connected.  Then there is a wireless connection between it and the unit I have upstairs...and that upstairs (remote unit) is connected by eithernet cable to the computer I'm using now....and I got this 258.3 speed.  I can go on wi fi on my ipad and get the same thing.

ipadcapture.PNG

In fact, there's the ipad capture, it is using wi fi.   My problems were almost exactly what you described, and this solution has been in place for about a year now.   Good luck (and update the firmware, manually).

View solution in original post

All Replies
NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Best would be to run an Ethernet cable with a Wi-Fi router in your bedroom. Other options include setting up a Wi-Fi mesh, or similar. 

You also should learn the promoted, and actual speed of the service. Try Speedtest.net while connected to the current router by Ethernet, as the only user. It could be that the number of users in your dwelling is slowing the speed, or it could be a poor connection, which Telus can assess. Telus offers speeds between 5Mbps and 1000Mbps, with most users being between 15 and 150.

Here is a link to some options.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
emmybeans
Neighbour
We have telus internet 50, which is the fastest we can get at our location. Wasn't able to test while connected to the router myself because one of my roommates has guests over. But right now my phone is getting 23-30 mbps in my bedroom and 43-45 mbps in the living room right beside the router. Usually those speeds are only 4-12 mbps in my bedroom and 20-30 mbps beside the router. My roommate who's laptop is always plugged in via ethernet is not home and took his laptop with him. So I think that made a difference. Although the speed on my ps4 is still 3.0 mbps and my ps3 is 1.4 mbps. Still not enough to game online or use any streaming services. There are 2 ps4s currently connected via ethernet that are being used to play call of duty that I couldn't ask to stop to let me run another speed test.

If I were to run a ethernet cable with a wifi router to my bedroom, does telus provide this service?
NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@emmybeans wrote:

If I were to run a ethernet cable with a wifi router to my bedroom, does telus provide this service?

No, it would be a do-it-yourself project, but not difficult, as long as you can readily run the wire from one location to the other. Any router with Access Point capabilities such as   D-link's DIR-605L are really simple to set up. Even my sister the technophobe had no difficulty!

NFtoBC
emmybeans
Neighbour
I just wanted a service because it will be a lot of work to hang a 50-100 ft cable along my ceiling. Just one more question. Are there any better routers I can get that will give me a better connection than the one you posted a link of? Or is this my best and cheapest option considering that my internet plan is only internet 50?
And thank you for all of your help. I appreciate you taking the time to answer all of my questions.
MTL_Dave
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hello,

You can always buy a third party router or extender and bridge it to the Actiontec modem (but that is unsupported by Telus and you would need to know how to set it up yourself).  Telus can run an ethernet cable to your device but they do charge for the service (around $100/hour).

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@MTL_Dave wrote:

Hello,

You can always buy a third party router or extender and bridge it to the Actiontec modem (but that is unsupported by Telus and you would need to know how to set it up yourself).  Telus can run an ethernet cable to your device but they do charge for the service (around $100/hour).

And need the permission of the service owner and the building owner.

NFtoBC
TheWizard
Connector

It would also be good to check which devices are connected to which wifi networks, you'll find the 2.4 ghz connection to be more stable and consistant as longer distances from the modem but the 5ghz while generally shorter range = faster. So depending on location, choosing the right wifi path can go a long way.

I think the telus rate for doing any jack work = $75 a jack, so doing an ethernet run might be a good idea if you have your landlord/building managers permission and of course the account owner. Otherwise a lot of electrical companies can do that kind of work as well. 

BillTelusCust
Rockstar

I can confirm the advice you've been given about a mesh network.

- Powerline adaptors don't work in every situation.  I have two sets, in a box, was useless for me.

- extenders are very slow in my experience.  I have another couple of these in a box, along with the base unit router.

-I have a long etheret cable that I don't have to use anymore. Why?  Because I got mesh router.

The one i used is the Netgear Orbi.  I'm not saying it is the best, but it works for me.  I have the router downstairs and I am connected to a remote node, I have full speed, which in my casei, is 250 megs plus.

If you are able, the best thing to do is to get your ISP's (Telus) modem put in bridge mode and cut everyone over to the mesh router.  There are other ways to do it too, I believe (but haven't tried it yet)  but the first thing is to find a device to move your 50 megs from the host router to up to your room...

Most Helpful
BillTelusCust
Rockstar

Capture.PNG

So I have the ISP modem in bridge moode, then I have the Orbi base unit connected.  Then there is a wireless connection between it and the unit I have upstairs...and that upstairs (remote unit) is connected by eithernet cable to the computer I'm using now....and I got this 258.3 speed.  I can go on wi fi on my ipad and get the same thing.

ipadcapture.PNG

In fact, there's the ipad capture, it is using wi fi.   My problems were almost exactly what you described, and this solution has been in place for about a year now.   Good luck (and update the firmware, manually).

View solution in original post