Webmail/Telus email is currently down.

BeefPorkChicken
Connector

Are you guys also having trouble deleting emails?

Fisherguy
Advocate

@BeefPorkChicken wrote:

Are you guys also having trouble deleting emails?

When they first got my webmail working I couldn't delete them, forward or reply, then they got all the pother folders working and I was able to do everything using webmail.
Phone and PC email just started working a few hours ago.

ulysses
Coach

When they first got my webmail working I couldn't delete them, forward or reply, then they got all the pother folders working and I was able to do everything using webmail.

Phone and PC email just started working a few hours ago.

That was my experience with webmail as well before full functionality was restored. However, telus.net email service via Thunderbird client is still down.

Notwithstanding the strongly expressed views of @Nighthawk to the contrary, Telus' Updates suggest that restoration is being done by email client.

From Update 4

My Outlook or Apple Mail shows as offline

This is a known issue and means that we are still in the process of restoring your historical data. For these customers, we recommend using webmail in the meantime, which will enable you to send and receive new emails and set up email forwarding. There is no other action required at this time. Please refer to Update 3 for more information.

and

From Update 3

What is TELUS doing to resolve the issue?

We have tripled our resources by bringing in industry-leading data recovery experts to help execute this two-step process:

1. ...
  2. Data restoration: The aim of this process is to re-establish and merge our customers’ historical data into their webmail-only accounts, and then we will work to reactivate full email access via email clients like smartphone apps and desktop clients.
Community Power User
Community Power User

I'm reading something different then. Outlook and Apple Mail are mentioned specifically because they are two of the most common mail apps out there. It mentions if they are having trouble connecting to use webmail. The same would go for any other mail client out there. If they aren't able to connect you'd have to revert to webmail.

Update 3 also mentions what I said earlier that Telus is focusing on restoring webmail access first, then the allowing access to the various mail apps.

@Nighthawk wrote:

Judging by the information Telus has posted they seem to be prioritizing webmail before allowing the individual mail apps access.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
ulysses
Coach

Update 3 also mentions what I said earlier that Telus is focusing on restoring webmail access first, then the allowing access to the various mail apps.

@Nighthawk wrote:

Judging by the information Telus has posted they seem to be prioritizing webmail before allowing the individual mail apps access.

Except that you are conveniently ignoring what follows that. Again:

Data restoration: The aim of this process is to re-establish and merge our customers’ historical data into their webmail-only accounts, and then we will work to reactivate full email access via email clients like smartphone apps and desktop clients.

ulysses
Coach

@Nighthawk 

On reflection, I see your interpretation as well. You are viewing the update as referring to access by other than webmail generally. Hsuppose that Telus could simply have said that data restoration of telus.net would follow restoration of webmail. In any case, all that is really important is that restoration takes place. Smiley Happy 

Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes. Webmail first, mail apps later. They simply say "email clients", which typically would mean all at once. Not app by app.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
xray
All-Star
I suspect they are restoring access by protocol. Webmail, POP3 and IMAP. The fact that different email clients behave differently during the recovery process may be related to how common POP3 vs IMAP are used in various email clients.

I feel bad for the team tasked with fixing this. They are working long hours under a great deal of pressure trying to fix something that most of them had no part in breaking. Been there done that. It sucks.
ulysses
Coach

I feel bad for the team tasked with fixing this. They are working long hours under a great deal of pressure trying to fix something that most of them had no part in breaking. Been there done that. It sucks.

True, but the same can't be said about those responsible for the design of the system. An outage for this length of time should never have happened. And, IMO, it would not have happened in a well designed system with proper backup and redundancy from hardware, software , and procedural points of view. Hopefully, the restored system will be up to that standard.

BeefPorkChicken
Connector

Who else got an email from the CCO saying that the email has been restored?

Fisherguy
Advocate

@BeefPorkChicken wrote:

Who else got an email from the CCO saying that the email has been restored?

Don't know where CCO is but this while mess has has nothing to do with location.  My wife's email was out 1 day, mine just came back after being out 11 days.

BeefPorkChicken
Connector

Oh I'm sorry, i meant to say the CCO of TELUS Tony Geheran (Chief Customer Officer), it said on the email that the Email outage has been cleared, but I'm still having trouble. deleting and my some of my old emails are missing

DeeScruntled
Helpful Neighbour

The story of my life:

Capture.JPG

DeeScruntled
Helpful Neighbour

I post too soon...  Smiley Happy    Immediately after my previous post the delete error went away and I discovered the text of my saved emails from days past have been restored... Could be the end of the story...

DougSmythies
Connector

My e-mail client (Outlook, in my case) started working yesterday morning. I got the e-mail from Telus titled "Your TELUS email should now be restored" many hours later. There was activity in my account prior, with 2 mails sent August 16th recovered, but with a received date of august 25th, and a bunch of e-mail sent Aug 9th through 15th (some I already had) also recovered, but with nearly the proper received date/time. I also had a period (an hour or two) where the left pain in Webmail was missing. I still am getting a send/receive error on outlook related to some apparent inability to actually delete some e-mails marked for deletion after transfer to my outlook client. Raw pop traffic examples:

+OK message 308 marked for deletion
+OK message 309 marked for deletion
+OK message 310 marked for deletion
-ERR deleted 246/310 message(s)
+OK message 21 marked for deletion
+OK message 22 marked for deletion
+OK message 23 marked for deletion
+OK message 24 marked for deletion
-ERR deleted 3/24 message(s)

Over the next several client/server sessions the number of e-mails that wouldn't delete ended up at 10, which I think are all duplicates from august 9th, So now I typically see this:

-ERR deleted 1/11 message(s)
-ERR deleted 0/10 message(s)
And in using the webmail interface, I can not delete those 10 e-mails.
Prior to all this activity and last week sometime, there had been a total of 26 e-mails restored over a period of days, but with a received date/time of when they were recovered verses when they were sent. During the initial outage I was dropped from at least one e-mail distribution list.
Knob
Neighbour

The Telus Webmail seems to be a little wonky again, when I log in it takes me to the login page again.  After a second login my webmail loads but when I try to do something it takes me to the login page again, it is a endless circle.  How sad I have to go back to my gmail account once again.

polecat
Ambassador

Knob - The same thing here went to check sent and junk today each time it sent me back to log in. Went right out and then logged in and then all ok. This has happened several times in the last week. I will give it more time before i contact a tech it might clear up soon. Polecat

ennjeoajat
Connector

I don't use Telus webmail, but have been using the 'getmail' command line retrieval agent with my Telus POP account for the last 15 years. I thought the recent Telus email problems had been solved for me, but in the last few days I've been getting the "POP error (-ERR LOGIN failed)" error on occasion. They are increasing in number, suggesting Telus still has stability issues.

MrE
Advocate

@ennjeoajat 

I use Microsoft outlook with POP3 SMTP scripted to filter and forward mails and have , like you. done so for over 10 years. The  POP3 errors raise  a requester and everything stops until I am home to close the requester. I  have to contact 2nd level tech support at telus a few times a year to get them to reset the POP3 server when it gets really bad. Changing timeout setting do not help and first level tech support is only trained on webmail.

Since Telus is well aware with ongoing problems (years) with the pop3 server they should do a proper fix but with this wider problem they are not likely to look deeply into it right now.

Knob
Neighbour

I am working again, just a short term glitch.