Webmail/Telus email is currently down.

Community Power User
Community Power User

Existing discussion: https://forum.telus.com/t5/Internet-TV-Home-Phone/Webmail-Telus-email-is-currently-down/m-p/99286#M2...

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
geodoc
Connector

Vancouver - Tuesday - 11:30 PM - 08/20/19

Webmail partially working. Able to log in and view inbox page. Unable to view any other sections like 'sent', or 'trash', unable to compose, displays

"A client error occurred. Please try again." message.   POP mail seems to be functioning normally (MS Outlook).

Email inquiry to Telus support describing problem generated a boiler plate response.

ulysses
Coach

Six days and counting. Still no telus.net email service. Webmail will only receive messages. Incredible and very frustrating!

ulysses
Coach

In fairness, I should add that the forward email option in webmail does work. I now am receiving my telus,net emails in my gmail account, where I can reply, forward, delete, etc.

geodoc
Connector

This morning Telus Webmail seems to be functioning except for it not displaying folders on the LH panel. The contents of various folders can be viewed using keyboard shortcuts. Odd.

When attempting to view Webmail in the "slow connection" mode (which I usually use since I prefer the interface), it will display the inbox folder, but when selection a message or other folder, it displays an error message and is stuck there.

No change in either case above with UBlock and cookie controller turned off.

Carkar
Resident

My email in Edmonton doesn't work. Hasn't for a week. Isn't there any place to get current updates from Telus regarding what is going on? I know that businesses using telus email are working perfectly well it just seems that personal emails are not. How does someone get updates? Thanks, Carolyn

Community Power User
Community Power User

The header of the Neighbourhood home page contains links to two sets of info. This has the most recent.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
bowser_36
Resident

Seems it's just certain regions which are down. If I run from a US-based server the site is up https://downinspector.com/check/http://webmail.telus.net.

Tony1000
Connector

Email (Web, IMAP, SMTP) all back up for me since Sunday Aug 18, but still getting lots of old messages, like notifications on this forum going back to last Thursday Aug 15. Have turned all notifications off but I suppose the ones before that were still in limbo, and now being restored.

BusyBee
Resident

Well, day 7 and not restored yet.  I receive new email through the webmail interface (since Sunday) but cannot reply/forward/delete any of those.  Oddly, I have received emails that would have come during the night on the 15/16/17 - they came through yesterday (21). They come in daily from a listserve I am on.  I sincerely hope that businesses are back online - and I believe TELUS will need to compensate them in some fashion.  

Fisherguy
Advocate

Mine's still down, has been for a f'n week...

ulysses
Coach

My telus webmail in Vancouver appears to be restored to full functionality. Panel on left is present. I can now write, reply, forward and delete emails. Options are accessible and I was able to successfully import my Address Book from Thunderbird.

However, my telus.net account is still down.

ulysses
Coach

A caveat to the above. I don't know if I have received all messages that were sent while both email and webmail were down.

Fisherguy
Advocate

@Irishgranny wrote:

Think I had about 5-6 emails in Inbox..plus whatever was in Trash & Junk.  Still makes no sense that it takes 3 days to run in new able (if that's really the problem).  And the same cable supplies Alberta, Okanagan, Vancouver Island and Vancouver area ??  No excuse for this long an outage.  And....their update page shows only 1 affected area...Surrey.  So what's happening with the rest of us !!

It's not a cable issue at all! 
It's been posted what caused the problem but here it is again (8 days and counting or me)
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/4-days-of-telus-email-outage-caused-by-data-storage-...

MrE
Advisor

Yet again the pop3 email server is failing on about 10% of login attempts!  The  CRTC needs to set some BIG fines for each hour telus has email down.

(Aug 24)

mbp
Advisor

Email is not a service that is even remotely dealt with by the CRTC. Internet service isn't either.

The email outage has been a massive, unprecedented, multi-server failure thanks to Dell. I would guess as part of the restore process there may be an odd hiccup or two, but being able to log in to the mail server 9 times out of 10 isn't a situation where I would consider the email service to be down.

DeeScruntled
Helpful Neighbour

I consider Telus email service to be down and dead until all folders containing 12 years of emails are totally restored. To  my great relief I always sync'd my email through Microsoft Office Outlook and for now and forever I will revert to my Gmail account for all email communication.

Capture.JPG

Community Power User
Community Power User

Twelve years of emails restored from backup may take a while. There are likely hundreds of thousands of accounts and millions of emails to be brought back from a series of backups. Not a speedy process.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
ulysses
Coach

No updates since Thursday re telus.net outage. That is not acceptable. At the very least there should be daily updates. And, rather than boiler plate, I am sure that we all would like to know when we can expect regular telus.net email to be restored.

ulysses
Coach

I just got off the phone with telus technical support regarding telus.net outage. He told me that they are proceeding with restoration by email client and that they are currently working on the various Outlook clients. I use Thunderbird as my email client and was advised that restoration of Thunderbird will not be addressed before Outlook is completed. He could offer no estimate regarding when service may be restored, He told me that I will receive an email from telus when my service is back up.

Hardly reassuring.