cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail/Telus email is currently down.

hologram123
Advisor

Just a heads up - our webmail is down at the moment. The queues are very high. Please be patient! We are working on it! So sorry for the inconvenience!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
613 REPLIES 613

@ThePopper wrote:

There you go!  From Telus webmail, to Gmail............as your main email.  Now was that a difficult thing to do?

I would greatly appreciate if you would stop trashing people on this Forum, and keep your rude opinions to yourself.

Did all of your complaining make you feel better?  I hope so.

Have a pleasant evening and enjoy Gmail - Take care!

I've had Gmail for years, believe me I didn't just decide to open a Gmail account cuz you mentioned it.
Like I said, I really don't care what you'd appreciate or what you don't like, who's complaining now?
Did all you condescending comments make you feel better?  I'm so glad!   😄
(... but at least you don't beg for likes)  lol

WOW Dude, you're a very angry and unhappy person.

I wish you well - Take care

Fisherguy, in my opinion, your last comment to Nighthawk, is totally way out of line.  I'm sorry that you are so frustrated, but there is a simple solution to end the stress that you are obviously unable to control - Go and open a Gmail account, AND MOVE ON!  What do you expect Nighthawk to say????

I'm so tired of receiving all of these emails from people giving "hourly updates" that their email is still down. It is, what it is - Telus is doing all they can to rectify the situation.   Get a grip, make a change and move on.  It's not the end of the world - The sun will still rise tomorrow, and nothing is infallible.

I too, am a Pro-Telus customer.  My webmail was hacked about five years ago.  I never spend hours upon hours on this forum, venting, demanding and threatening.  I simply created an account with Gmail (if you don't like Gmail, there are others), and I carried on with my life.  SIMPLE!

What's the problem??

@Nighthawk wrote:

Restoring by email client? You do realize that's utter nonsense right? Accessing the email on the server has nothing to do with the individual mail client/app. Once the messages are available on the server, ALL mail clients should be able to access it.

Tech support is not the group working on restoring the servers and they extremely likely have no idea how the servers even work, the current problems with them, what's being done to repair them, or what the exact specific status is on the repairs to the countless individual email accounts affected. I know it sucks not being able to access messages but the only thing we can do is be patient. Calling tech support about it won't help.

Chill. Don't shoot me, I am just the messenger. Moreover, it was a Telus rep with whom I was discussing a billing issue and raised the topic of the outage who told me to call to tech support.

@Nighthawk wrote:

Restoring by email client? You do realize that's utter nonsense right? Accessing the email on the server has nothing to do with the individual mail client/app. Once the messages are available on the server, ALL mail clients should be able to access it.

Since you are such an expert, could you please explain why telus webmail has no difficulty accessing, sending, and forwarding email if, as you suggest, messages are not available on the server?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

@ulysses wrote:

Chill. Don't shoot me, I am just the messenger. Moreover, it was a Telus rep with whom I was discussing a billing issue and raised the topic of the outage who told me to call to tech support.

Apologies if that came across a bit harsh. I know you're the messenger. If you were talking with a billing agent rather than a tech support agent, that would explain things. What they told you was wrong.

@ulysses wrote:

Since you are such an expert, could you please explain why telus webmail has no difficulty accessing, sending, and forwarding email if, as you suggest, messages are not available on the server?

Judging by the information Telus has posted they seem to be prioritizing webmail before allowing the individual mail apps access.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

@Nighthawk wrote:

@ulysses wrote:

Apologies if that came across a bit harsh. I know you're the messenger. If you were talking with a billing agent rather than a tech support agent, that would explain things. What they told you was wrong.

@ulysses wrote:

Judging by the information Telus has posted they seem to be prioritizing webmail before allowing the individual mail apps access.

Apology accepted. To clarify, a billing agent told me to call technical support, It was technical support that provided the information regarding email clients.

If emails are available from the server, as they apparently are, why it is taking so long to make telus.net operational. It's one thing to go through logs to find "lost" messages, but I don't understand why current message traffic is not operational on telus.net.

The situation is certainly not remote from the CRTC jurisdiction and they are the body who gives administrative monetary penalties. They may not currently regulate email but they advise government on it and are introducing new rules for Internet services on January 31, 2020,  see 

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/internet/code.htm

When telus takes my payment they are accepting responsibility for maintaining the services I pay for. That means they don't get away with passing on the the blame to the equipment or its manufacturer. Problems resulting from upgrades are not unprecedented. Sufficient pre testing, and a functional restoration plan in case of  a "massive, unprecedented, multi-server failure" both seem to have been overlooked. 

Unfortunately when outlook hits that 1 out of 10  logon that fails it can sometimes put up an error requester. The blocks outlook and mail quits being retrieved and priority mail quits being forwarded. You might not "consider the email service to be down" but do you consider it to be working properly?

(warning rhetorical sarcasm!) What if only 9 out of 10 phone calls you tried to make worked, or I only paid for 9 out of 10  of my telus bills? 😉

11 days and counting...

I wonder how it is some people (like my wife)  only went without email for 1 day with a few hiccups the 1st couple days while others like me have not had email for 11 days (so far)?
Wonder if it's mostly the oldest customers that have been affected the longest?  I've had Telus email since the dial up days...

It's probably what server your data was on which is causing the delays. The restoring process is most likely systematic (one server at a time) and teams are slowly restoring effective accounts one by one, on a server per server basis. Of course the more folders and stored emails the longer the process will take. 11 days is bad for sure, but i am sure you're probably using other email services as well by now or always have.

Surely Telus will have meetings to prevent this again, you live and learn. Sometimes you learn the hard way. Seems so far there hasn't been any data loss, besides incoming mail not being received for affected accounts.

IT'S A MIRACLE!!

My phone/tablet emails apps are finally back up as is Outlook on my PC!

My webmail..incoming & outgoing...has been working fine the past 3 days (except still missing those LH files).  But today I have a new problem....open my incoming emails..shows I have 7 of them BUT  when I try to open them...just get a message that says 'missing blob for ..".and then an assigned number for each one.  Now what's happening ???  Can't get anything on my iphone either...not even that message.   HELP !!!

Are you guys also having trouble deleting emails?

@BeefPorkChicken wrote:

Are you guys also having trouble deleting emails?

When they first got my webmail working I couldn't delete them, forward or reply, then they got all the pother folders working and I was able to do everything using webmail.
Phone and PC email just started working a few hours ago.

When they first got my webmail working I couldn't delete them, forward or reply, then they got all the pother folders working and I was able to do everything using webmail.

Phone and PC email just started working a few hours ago.

That was my experience with webmail as well before full functionality was restored. However, telus.net email service via Thunderbird client is still down.

Notwithstanding the strongly expressed views of @Nighthawk to the contrary, Telus' Updates suggest that restoration is being done by email client.

From Update 4

My Outlook or Apple Mail shows as offline

This is a known issue and means that we are still in the process of restoring your historical data. For these customers, we recommend using webmail in the meantime, which will enable you to send and receive new emails and set up email forwarding. There is no other action required at this time. Please refer to Update 3 for more information.

and

From Update 3

What is TELUS doing to resolve the issue?

We have tripled our resources by bringing in industry-leading data recovery experts to help execute this two-step process:

1. ...
  2. Data restoration: The aim of this process is to re-establish and merge our customers’ historical data into their webmail-only accounts, and then we will work to reactivate full email access via email clients like smartphone apps and desktop clients.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I'm reading something different then. Outlook and Apple Mail are mentioned specifically because they are two of the most common mail apps out there. It mentions if they are having trouble connecting to use webmail. The same would go for any other mail client out there. If they aren't able to connect you'd have to revert to webmail.

Update 3 also mentions what I said earlier that Telus is focusing on restoring webmail access first, then the allowing access to the various mail apps.

@Nighthawk wrote:

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Update 3 also mentions what I said earlier that Telus is focusing on restoring webmail access first, then the allowing access to the various mail apps.

@Nighthawk wrote:

Except that you are conveniently ignoring what follows that. Again:

Data restoration: The aim of this process is to re-establish and merge our customers’ historical data into their webmail-only accounts, and then we will work to reactivate full email access via email clients like smartphone apps and desktop clients.

@Nighthawk 

On reflection, I see your interpretation as well. You are viewing the update as referring to access by other than webmail generally. Hsuppose that Telus could simply have said that data restoration of telus.net would follow restoration of webmail. In any case, all that is really important is that restoration takes place. Smiley Happy 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes. Webmail first, mail apps later. They simply say "email clients", which typically would mean all at once. Not app by app.

I suspect they are restoring access by protocol. Webmail, POP3 and IMAP. The fact that different email clients behave differently during the recovery process may be related to how common POP3 vs IMAP are used in various email clients.

I feel bad for the team tasked with fixing this. They are working long hours under a great deal of pressure trying to fix something that most of them had no part in breaking. Been there done that. It sucks.