Webmail/Telus email is currently down.

Highlighted
LostinVancouver
Coach

@mbp wrote:

You do realize sympatico was Bell right?

I didn't get the email notification.Smiley Tongue

jhulford
Neighbour

BC Tel which became Telus. 

Irishgranny
Ambassador

Think I had about 5-6 emails in Inbox..plus whatever was in Trash & Junk.  Still makes no sense that it takes 3 days to run in new able (if that's really the problem).  And the same cable supplies Alberta, Okanagan, Vancouver Island and Vancouver area ??  No excuse for this long an outage.  And....their update page shows only 1 affected area...Surrey.  So what's happening with the rest of us !!

Irishgranny
Ambassador

Nice that you were able to receive email...

chaterz
Resident

I can't go on like this. Recently opted for a loyalty discount that commits me to a couple more years in exchange for a reduced bill. Telus have broken that contract with me.....next logical step? This is more than 48 hours by my reckoning.

LostinVancouver
Coach

Decades of goodwill thrown away in a few days because nobody thought to adequately backup the data.

fireguy
Friendly Neighbour

Never assume the people in charge know what their doing.

Telus has no clue.

Telus-Frustrated
Resident

STILL DOWN

Cannot access my telus mail account on either webmail or using the softward on my computer.  While I can certainly log in to my primary telus account email access is not possible nor is it possible to redirect email sent to my telus account to another account outside of Telus.

Sending me a text message 90 minutes ago doesn't help with the simple fact that the email has not been available since early Thursday and its now late Saturday afternoon and no resolution in sight!

TELUS - can you spell COMPENSATION?

I'm forced to consider alternate email providers now....

LostinVancouver
Coach

"this is a fluid situation".

LOL, like what the heck is that supposed to mean?  Didn't realize restoring email service requires the use of US Navy Seals or Mossad agents.

shruber1
Neighbour

No text message here and my email is still down.

Timmah1
Neighbour

Well I had e-mail back for a day or so and now it is completely down again...

I remember recently when they switch me from copper to fiber they ensured me several time my e-mail address and e-mail would transfer over with no issue. Well that was a lie and they ended up deleting my e-mail accounts. That took them 4 days to figure out how to fix that.

It puzzles me how they seem to have no redundancy at all for the e-mail system.

bluebell
Resident

Strathmore, Alberta.  Down again!   aaaarrrrrgggghhhh!!  What's up Telus?  I want compensation for your poor service.

ennjeoajat
Connector

My area in Surrey, BC was up most of the day. Was receiving a few messages. Sent some too, but have no idea if they arrived. But the Telus train wreck resumes and email is completely down again.

I remember the years where Telus could not figure out how to set the clocks on their DNS servers. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that they've since outsourced their email infrastructure to experts in arcade machine repair, but the root of the competency problems is internal, beginning with (mis)management.

LostinVancouver
Coach

@bluebell wrote:

Strathmore, Alberta.  Down again!   aaaarrrrrgggghhhh!!  What's up Telus?  I want compensation for your poor service.

You'll get compensated in the form of increased charges for their level of "service".

Elky64
Connector

As of 8:00 PM on Aug 17 here in Cranbrook, BC my accounts are slowly going in reverse, what had worked are now very intermittent or not at all. Wife's single account still has had no signs of life since initial outage. Trying to access webmail goes absolutely nowhere now no matter what browser/device is used.

LostinVancouver
Coach

@Elky64 wrote:

As of 8:00 PM on Aug 17 here in Cranbrook, BC my accounts are slowly going in reverse, what had worked are now very intermittent or not at all. Wife's single account still has had no signs of life since initial outage. Trying to access webmail goes absolutely nowhere now no matter what browser/device is used.

Welcome to the 10% club!Smiley LOL

couttsy
Neighbour

If you are an old fart like me, you might remember a Telus 3 day email outage happening once before many years ago. At that time I was operating my own ISP service complete with email, so I could chuckle at the problem Telus was having. Now it's a different story, as I am totally dependent on Telus for my email, although I use a third party service to filter out the garbage. It is very obvious to most of us that the "90% back in service" number is out to lunch, and whatever bureaucrat thought that one up should be shot with a ball of his own BS.

It is my belief that the problem originates with user authentication. I use the POP3 server, and for about a week before the complete outage that server would occasionally return "internal server error" when I attempted to connect. It would usually only last a few hours, and I could always use Telus Webmail if I needed to read my messages. The outbound SMTP server always worked during these outages.

Like most large email suppliers, Telus probably uses a centralized authentication system. The fact that the Webmail server could authenticate and the POP3 server could not suggests that the difficulty was with the authentication system.

Another interesting fact is during most of this 3 day outage, I could still use the SMTP server for sending mail, although there were brief periods that I would get "421 mtlp000083 cmsmtp ESMTP server temporarily not available".

J.A. Coutts

geodoc
Connector

7:00 PM 08/17 - Vancouver. Both webmail and POP email worked from late morning until about 6:30 PM. Now unable to connect to POP email or access webmail. Sigh .......................

Irishgranny
Ambassador

Can now get the login page..but can't go anywhere with it.  What does the message

"??? Idap.LDAP_ERROR ??? "  mean ?  I"ve had that once or twice before.

Most Helpful
Community Manager
Community Manager