Webmail/Telus email is currently down.

Reply
Elm2
Resident

I hear Shaw is picking up a lot of Telus customers. If this carries on much longer, I'll be visiting their office.

ExCTandS
Friendly Neighbour
Aug 17 11:19, service still out for email and webmail. It does let me log in to Webmail, then says password is over 6 months old, then it says "Looks like we can't find that page, what would you like to do" then offers a link to the home page, which works. So there is some interaction with Telus, meaning the cables are working ?? So to me, the troubles are in house with the e-mail servers either at the Vancouver Data center or the Edmonton Data center.
Skypilot
Resident

Three days and counting with no Telus e-mail. Sure glad I have a gmail account and not a business relying on Telus e-mail.

Any lawyers out there looking for a class-action?

Donots
Resident

Elm2, unfortunately you need your valid email, to set up your account with Shaw

Elm2
Resident

Donots

I have three email accounts, one of which is not working.

LostinVancouver
Coach

@Elm2 wrote:

Donots

I have three email accounts, one of which is not working.


I've got four email accounts, two are "working" but they really weren't used before.  The two that AREN'T working, I was using.  Seems to me the reason why it isn't working (both had a fair number of emails in the inbox).  The two emails that are working, have pretty much an empty inbox.  Is that the same with you?

LostinVancouver
Coach

Follow up to my last post....

 

Seems to me (not being a "techie") that is far easier to "restore"/"fix" an email account that was essentially dormant (and/or rarely used) vs one that was used fairly regularly (as the later involves stored emails in the inbox that MIGHT have to be 'restored' in some way due to a hardware failure where there was no backup system in place).

Irishgranny
Ambassador

Abbotsford....3 of my friends who live within 15 blocks of me all have email now...yet nothing at my place since Wed night.  How do they explain that ?  Hope they plan on rebates on our net bill...and what about the business customers and lost customers etc.  Going to have a lot of mea culpas ahead.

LostinVancouver
Coach

@Irishgranny wrote:

Abbotsford....3 of my friends who live within 15 blocks of me all have email now...yet nothing at my place since Wed night.  How do they explain that ?  Hope they plan on rebates on our net bill...and what about the business customers and lost customers etc.  Going to have a lot of mea culpas ahead.


Did the email account that you use have alot of stuff in the inbox (read/unread messages)?  As I already posted, it seems more than just a coincidence, that out of my four email accounts, the two that are working were ones that were rarely used (and hence, didn't have alot of messages in the inbox-whether read or unread).

LostinVancouver
Coach

Again, I'm only guessing but I suspect they have *NO ADEQUATE BACKUP SYSTEM* in place.  Hence, most of the work the "techies" are doing is trying to restore the messages somehow (which can be time consuming).  They're keeping quiet about it because I would tend to believe SOME data is be unrecoverable.  The 90% number they keeping telling the public might actually be correct (as we're talking about alot of dormant and/or rarely used email accounts - I think the standard internet package gives you four or five?; again, it's not alot of work to "fix" those accounts as there's little date to 'restore').

 

Though again, I'm just speculating.  But we should feel fine that the outage page on Telus says Vancouver is all ok right?!

chaterz
Resident

I can't go on like this. Recently opted for a loyalty discount that commits me to a couple more years in exchange for a reduced bill. Telus have broken that contract with me.....next logical step? This is more than 48 hours by my reckoning.

LostinVancouver
Coach

Decades of goodwill thrown away in a few days because nobody thought to adequately backup the data.

fireguy
Friendly Neighbour

Never assume the people in charge know what their doing.

Telus has no clue.

Telus-Frustrated
Resident

STILL DOWN

 

Cannot access my telus mail account on either webmail or using the softward on my computer.  While I can certainly log in to my primary telus account email access is not possible nor is it possible to redirect email sent to my telus account to another account outside of Telus.

 

Sending me a text message 90 minutes ago doesn't help with the simple fact that the email has not been available since early Thursday and its now late Saturday afternoon and no resolution in sight!

 

TELUS - can you spell COMPENSATION?

 

I'm forced to consider alternate email providers now....

 

 

LostinVancouver
Coach

"this is a fluid situation".

 

LOL, like what the heck is that supposed to mean?  Didn't realize restoring email service requires the use of US Navy Seals or Mossad agents.

Yycsoccergirl
Resident
Calgary
Still nothing for me and yes a very large inbox and extremely active. Your theory makes a lot of sense. Still haven’t figured out what my next step is though feeling like it’s time to make the move.
Highlighted
Elky64
Connector

@LostinVancouver wrote:

@Irishgranny wrote:

Abbotsford....3 of my friends who live within 15 blocks of me all have email now...yet nothing at my place since Wed night.  How do they explain that ?  Hope they plan on rebates on our net bill...and what about the business customers and lost customers etc.  Going to have a lot of mea culpas ahead.


Did the email account that you use have alot of stuff in the inbox (read/unread messages)?  As I already posted, it seems more than just a coincidence, that out of my four email accounts, the two that are working were ones that were rarely used (and hence, didn't have alot of messages in the inbox-whether read or unread).


Not the case with my wife and me. I have tons of emails with my accounts being somewhat restored although things are still flaky, webmail hit-n-miss. My wife on the other hand keeps her's pretty much squeaky clean (deletes everything) not once seeing the light of since the wee hours of the 15th.

Irishgranny
Ambassador

Think I had about 5-6 emails in Inbox..plus whatever was in Trash & Junk.  Still makes no sense that it takes 3 days to run in new able (if that's really the problem).  And the same cable supplies Alberta, Okanagan, Vancouver Island and Vancouver area ??  No excuse for this long an outage.  And....their update page shows only 1 affected area...Surrey.  So what's happening with the rest of us !!

Fisherguy
Advocate

@Irishgranny wrote:

Think I had about 5-6 emails in Inbox..plus whatever was in Trash & Junk.  Still makes no sense that it takes 3 days to run in new able (if that's really the problem).  And the same cable supplies Alberta, Okanagan, Vancouver Island and Vancouver area ??  No excuse for this long an outage.  And....their update page shows only 1 affected area...Surrey.  So what's happening with the rest of us !!

 

 


It's not a cable issue at all! 
It's been posted what caused the problem but here it is again (8 days and counting or me)
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/4-days-of-telus-email-outage-caused-by-data-storage-...

JackJackson
Resident
Is that what your bosses told you to tell us? 90%. Sounds like a Sean Spicer line.