cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WINDOWS 8.1 PRO and Telus Security.

TeofiloSalvador
Neighbour

Anybody having problem with WINDOWS 8.1 PRO and Telus Security?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Looks like Telus Security Services uses bdfndisf6.sys which is also the same module used by bitdefender.

Anyway, looks like that module causes my PC to get the BSOD at least once a day.

My system was running perfectly stable when it was on Windows 8 and it started getting the BSOD ever since I upgraded to 8.1

From all my research it seems it is due to that file mentioned above.

The actuall BSOD message I get is: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (bdfndisf6.sys)

I am going to be uninstalling Telus Security Services and useing somethign else until you guys fix this for Windows 8.1

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Hippo
Leader

Hi there,

If you are experiencing issues downloading TELUS Security, please reach out to our technical support department at 310-8324. We are available 24/7. Thanks.

Berzelius
Organizer

Hi,

What kind of problems are you experiencing ?

We have not yet heard of anything problematic with windows 8.1 and Telus Security.

Did you do a fresh Windows 8.1 install, or was your existing windows 8 updated to 8.1 ?

Did you attempt a full uninstallation and re-installation of the Telus Security program ?

Yves
Member of the Telus team
Assure FFH (Internet & IPTV Tech support)

Looks like Telus Security Services uses bdfndisf6.sys which is also the same module used by bitdefender.

Anyway, looks like that module causes my PC to get the BSOD at least once a day.

My system was running perfectly stable when it was on Windows 8 and it started getting the BSOD ever since I upgraded to 8.1

From all my research it seems it is due to that file mentioned above.

The actuall BSOD message I get is: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (bdfndisf6.sys)

I am going to be uninstalling Telus Security Services and useing somethign else until you guys fix this for Windows 8.1

I tried to install the TELUS security services package and twice now it resulted in the Windows Blue Screen of Death.  When I called technical support some overly enthusiastic individual said he couldn't help me since it's Radial Point's software and that they should call me in 2 business days.  After loading up my computer in safe mode and removing the TELUS garbage, my computer ran perfectly.  Please note that I wasn't running any software that would've interfered with the software and that I use Windows 8.1

seaswept
Neighbour

I am also having problems with the Windows 8.1 and Telus security.  It will not install.  It continues to say it will not install.  I have spent hours with Telus techs trying to find the problem.  Everything has been reset and deleted and reinstalled and finally the fellow gave up and said my computer was the problem and I should take it back.  I had only used it 2 times at that point and it was a brand new computer.  I was not able to get it back to the store  but can't imagine that being the problem anyway.  I read somewhere to reset all the defaults in internet explorer etc. but it still is not installing.  I am about read to hit my head on mortar because I cannot find a decent free antivirus, spyware, malware and I don't think I should have to purchase one since I ought to have Telus security for free.  I used several years ago on a very outdated computer and it worked just fine..

@seaswept wrote:

I am also having problems with the Windows 8.1 and Telus security.  It will not install.  It continues to say it will not install. 

I cannot find a decent free antivirus, spyware, malware and I don't think I should have to purchase one since I ought to have Telus security for free.  I used several years ago on a very outdated computer and it worked just fine..

Malwarebytes, free anti-malware. It is run on demand. Paid version is auto running.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Avast free anti-virus

http://www.avast.com/index

There are many modules that install. Some do background data(quick Cloud definitions). If you do not know how to specify the install(or add/remove) to your type of protection, don't even bother.

Take your computer to a computer repair shop(not a big box store) for help installing Telus Security or other free product(plus install fee of course). Hopefully you were not led astray by an unskilled call support worker, who in the end blamed your computer(take it back comment).

If your new computer has a 'free trial' of anti-virus or 'security suite', they are a pain in the rear and need to be unistalled before installing another product. At times you need to go to the 'free trial' makers site for a specific uninstall program to clean it out.

Use after add/remove in Windows.

Norton removal tool

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

McAfee removal tool.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

tool itself and they sure want people to register first, but not needed.

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

A list to links of un-installers. Links may or may not be up to date.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/78961-av-uninstallers.html#post690028

Telus should also have a removal tool for its security suite(radialpoint security software).

Install instructions

http://www.telus.com/en/bc/get-help/internet/security/download-install-security-services/support.do

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

+1 for Malwarebytes and Avast. One of my PCs has the paid version of Malwarebytes and I've been happy with it. All my other devices have Avast Free and haven't had an issue.

Avoid BitDefender though. It is bloated and slow. If you put in a DVD to install a game, BitDefender essentially ground my PC to a halt while it tried scanning it and there is no easy way to get around that short of shutting if off completely for the install.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

SA
Advocate

Telus Security has always been flakey for me.

With Windows 8.1 64 bit and the built in Windows Defender, I have not had a virus since running Windows 8 (more than two years ago now).

As long as you're not going to the shady parts of the web, not opening every attachments from anyone that happens to email you whether you know them or not and just use common sense when online; I don't recommend anything other than the built in Windows Defender.

Especially not the paid options and even the free ones are not free as they introduce their own malware as far as I'm concerned.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

The IT Manager at our local Community College also recommends Windows Defender as being sufficient.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

seaswept
Neighbour
Thanks for the info but I have tried all of those, mostly they work like piecemeal. There is not an all included protection for free. What I want is the Telus one that I should be getting and that should be working on a new computer with the newest Windows. Telus Security has all the features needful and useful and is included in my internet package that I pay for. They should solve the problem since it is not only me with the issue. Alternately give me some real steps to trouble shoot the issue.

@seaswept wrote:
Thanks for the info but I have tried all of those, mostly they work like piecemeal. There is not an all included protection for free. What I want is the Telus one that I should be getting and that should be working on a new computer with the newest Windows. Telus Security has all the features needful and useful and is included in my internet package that I pay for. They should solve the problem since it is not only me with the issue. Alternately give me some real steps to trouble shoot the issue.

To be blunt, if you think you need Telus Security and other such 'crapware', then you're using your systems wrong.

Not all A/V software works on all possible setups.  That is why you stick with common sense and the built in Windows Defender which does know how your system works (and should work) best.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

@seaswept wrote:

Well the problem that usually arises is when Microsoft releases a new OS or does a major update like 8.1, it tends to interfere with the installation or operation of Telus Security. Took ages to get Windows 8 support. I'm not sure if it's fully stable on 8.1 yet. RadialPoint - the company that made it originally - appears to no longer reference it on their website so I suspect it got sold off to another developer that may be a bit slow releasing updates.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Nighthawk wrote

RadialPoint - the company that made it originally - appears to no longer reference it on their website so I suspect it got sold off to another developer that may be a bit slow releasing updates.

http://www.radialpoint.com/products/ptscx/

Click page link of: 

PTSCX Service Extensions

Internet Security Services

We’ve integrated security services from the industry’s leading security software providers, which can be bundled as part of any consumer PTS offering.

• Virus and Spyware Protection
  • Fraud Protection
  • Parental Controls
  • Web Content and Search Advisor
  • Social Network Privacy Protection
  • Mobile Security for Smartphones and Tablets
    (including mobile malware protection and remote device recovery / lock / wipe)

http://securitycentersweb.radialpoint.net/Virus/home/howdoigetrps.html

Trendmicro and Radialpoint got together 3 years ago

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=av_9Rd0SSSus

seaswept
Neighbour
Thank you for your comment. However , the Telus Security package provides additional safe guards since I am not the only one who is using this computer as well as Parental Controls. I pay for the service and wrote with the intention of assistance in trouble shooting it . I believe I am on the wrong forum , I assumed that the Telus Neighbourhood was about the Telus service and products. Thank you .

v9
Rockstar

Re: WINDOWS 8.1 PRO and Telus Security: Well this is one more of those posts, where the OP(Original poster) didn't report back to forum to agree or not with the replies. Reading the topic & answers provided.  I though it may be useful to post these comments about the " Telus Radialpoint Security-performance" discussed in the <Shaw.community.ca>

I know the point isn't how to remove "Radial point' but other security issues-But it might added it some tips as to how to deal with that. Here's the link: https://community.shaw.ca/thread/13395 ..hope help. CU <v9>

@v9-12 yrs.Telus mobile user & Ex-BC Tel cable installer.
Find this reply useful-Give likes to his author
The future is unknown?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Since when does RadialPoint call a customer of their customer... You were told something incorrect.

Please note that Windows 8.1 is not a supported operating system for Telus security.

Telus' Security download page only says it supports Windows 8, not 8.1. The blue screens of death seem to confirm this incompatibility.