Video content block from US website

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Resident

I can no longer view videos from the Dr. Oz website. The message says that they are not available from my location. I contacted the Dr. Oz website and they confirmed that they may not be able to provide this content.

Is Telus blocking this content? Who else might the culprit be?

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Whomever purchased the distribution rights for Canada has the right to determine how the show will be distributed in Canada. The Dr. Oz producers are meeting their contractual obligations by preventing Canadian viewers from watching the show, except through the method chosen by the folks with the Canadian distribution rights. Same thing with the Colbert Report; you could watch it on one of the Canadian comedy sites, but not streamed directly from the originating US network TV site.

EDIT: You can watch episodes on CTV, and stream them from the CTV website a day later.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Resident

Thanks for that reply. Just to clarify, I was not trying to stream entire shows, just short clips and "how to" information. I wonder if it is CTV that is blocking the content, since they appear to have some rights to the show.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

You might find those elsewhere on the internet, as well. Use your favourite search engine to see if the video you wish to watch is reproduced elsewhere.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

A lot of American content is blocked in Canada. Some of the short clips may not be but it varies greatly depending on which company owns them in the US. Short of a good VPN it's not always possible to access it especially if a Canadian network has the distribution rights.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂