Very slow Telus internet service where I just moved

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

DanielT
Friendly Neighbour

I just moved to a house in postal code V9E 2G6. The connection is 1.43 Mbps. I phoned and was told that it was just the speed of this location. Would have been awesome in 1995. In 2015, however, it's unacceptable. What will it take for Telus to come and upgrade service? Thank you.

Community Power User
Community Power User

It would take the installation of fibre instead of copper to move from that level of service. It will likely be some time before the rural, large parcel segments of the Saanich Peninsula are served by fibre due to the cost. You may be wisest to look for a wireless or satellite internet provider.  You can see what services are available at your address using the Telus online tool: http://www.telus.com/en/bc/internet/?INTCMP=TcomHomeTile_FFH_Internet

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
DanielT
Friendly Neighbour

So, to confirm, 1.43 Mbps download is not a technical problem with the line running to the house? It is what can be expected?

Community Power User
Community Power User

It's a limitation of living in a more rural location. Most cases DSL isn't available there to begin with. The longer the copper line from the central office or the local distribution box is to the house, the weaker the signal gets. If you log in to your modem and look at the statistics, does it show you what your attainable speed is?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
DanielT
Friendly Neighbour

I don't see that type of statistic in the firmware. It's a ZyXEL VSG1432.

It's painful to have found an otherwise great place to live that is so underserved by Internet providers. It's rural, but certainly not remote. I would never have guessed.

Community Power User
Community Power User

No Shaw cable?

NFtoBC
DanielT
Friendly Neighbour

At this point, it's just a possibility. They've got to "add the address" (whatever that entails), run a line up a hill -- 6 poles to the house -- and the landlords have to be cooperative. I'm hopeful.

Community Power User
Community Power User

Add the address usually means it's not in their system yet. 6 poles? That could be very expensive if on private property just to get them installed and that's usually done at a cost to the landowner.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
valiaig
Advocate

Well when I used to live in rural town in Manitoba.. provider charged us zero when he run fiber cables. All we had to do is fill survey and give permission  to access our land if needed. What you mean at cost of landowner? When only provider profit from these upgrades...

Community Power User
Community Power User

Telecom/Cable/Hydro will not install poles on private property at their own cost. Even if the person living at that location were to purchase those full services for a decade long contract, it still wouldn't cover the cost to install poles and lines.

As for OP, if he needs 6 poles installed, Shaw isn't planning to use any existing poles. The only houses in that area that need that many poles are the ones on the larger pieces of land set way back from the road.

Community Power User
Community Power User

@Nightwawk

I'm guessing the poles are already installed, as the OP is a tenant, and there is existing telephone and internet, and I'll bet hydro. However, it is still a long distance to install wire, cable or fibre.

NFtoBC
valiaig
Advocate

I suggest talk to the community and start moment there of sort.. Like Google Fibre does  and passed on to monicipals and Telus and sent copy to CRTC.. . I am certain it will speed things up..

valiaig
Advocate

Oh, one more thing... How far it is from major city? Victoria, Vancouver. By the looks of it at postal code nearest is Victoria which is last I checked is capital city of British Columbia.. So you are saying that Vancouver has all the best things there is and town near provincial capital isn't, when it should've been priority?

Community Power User
Community Power User

@valiaig

You can enter the postal code into Google maps to view this rural location. 

NFtoBC
DanielT
Friendly Neighbour

The poles are installed, running Telus (copper) wire and BC Hydro. Apparently the landlords tried in the past to get Shaw without luck. (Something about the street poles being on the wrong side of the road and they'd have to dig underground, and/or Telus owning the poles and not wanting to share -- a couple of stories that leave me scratching my head.)

After speaking with a Shaw installer directly the past few days, he believes it is possible. Although, until I see him run the wire into my suite, I won't get too excited.

Yesterday, I spoke with a person living on a Gulf Island who had problems w/ slow Telus (a 'speedy' 1.5 Mbps in his case), and a few years ago he said Shaw received a federal grant to install service. He lived in a much less dense/remote area than myself and it was done.

I am living in Saanich, the most populous municipality of greater Victoria. A part of Saanich that is not remote, but rural. On six acres, not sixty. Poles running from the road up to the house. Neighbours within a few hundred feet on three sides.

Yet, 1.43 Mbps.

Community Power User
Community Power User

The joys of living in the rural. IT all comes down to dollars and cents. No company as an example would invest 1 million dollars to make $50,000 in 20 years. You get the idea, but the more people that are vocal and constantly demand something will sooner or later get something done.

If you're only one person saying me me the odds of them doing anything is pretty much nil. Now if you had 30 people (house owners) saying me me that's another story.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Community Power User
Community Power User

If both Telus and Hydro are sharing poles, they will be hydro poles. Telus won't own them. Shaw should be able to use them unless Hydro has told Shaw they can't.

DanielT
Friendly Neighbour

I've been told by the Shaw installer that he's discovered Shaw has "no infrastructure" in the area and is not able to do an install.

So, 1.43 Mbps it is.

DanielT
Friendly Neighbour

UPDATE:

(FYI I have not been able to find how to create a new forum thread. I've been on the internet for a couple of decades, but still can't find it so I am replying to my last saved post...)

My landlords got tired of slow internet, blamed it on me, and told me to get my own. I did, and in spite of Telus telling them that the speed was as fast as it could be, I got 5mpbs as soon as I got my own service (they were at 1.43mbps when I moved in in Sept '15, and went down to 0.86mbps in Dec '15). I was elated, but 10 days later it went down by 40%. Then, about 1.5 months later, it went up to where it was. Now, it's even faster (5+mbps)! WTF?!?!?

I could swear it's because of the temperature. But nobody can give me answers. Does anyone know anything that can help?? Thank you!!

Community Power User
Community Power User

@DanielT wrote:

UPDATE:

(FYI I have not been able to find how to create a new forum thread. I've been on the internet for a couple of decades, but still can't find it so I am replying to my last saved post...

You can create a new thread by selecting a topic area on the home page (e.g. Internet, TV & Home phone) and there is an Ask A Question button there.

NFtoBC