Usage meter

Connector

I check online and my home internet usage varies from lowest 36 to highest with one exception 172.

Yes I watch Netflix on occasion. However for the month of September my usage jumped to over 1500! 

And I certainly did not more than triple my movie watching.  Only thing done different was I

upgraded from 25 to 50. 

When tech was here they had a problem with connecting the new modem upgrade. Finally he hooked up

both my old and new at same time. I was told to leave and then try again next day and see if new one

would connect properly.  It did so I disconnect the original and then proceeded as usual.  And then one

day I check my usage and saw that spike!  Was told that it was accurate and had 45 dollars added to my bill?  My question to tech people here is :

Is it possible having that problem with the modems caused that spike? 

Accepted Solutions
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User
It's possible the wifi was left open without password on one of the modems. Since it only happened one month this is the logical explanation.

Although that's a large amount of data to download if multiple people had a free for all while it was open it could be done. Even only in a day.

If you ever notice a sudden jump that is unexplained. Change your wireless password ASAP.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Community Power User
Community Power User
Has your usuage been normal since the high 1500GB spike? I rarely hit 400GB in a month for what i do. Do you use a bit torrent client or any gaming consoles (Xbox, PlayStation)

I'd be more led to believe someone got onto your wifi.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Connector

I have no playstation etc. And yes it only spiked in September. And the highest ever was 172. 

I would think if someone managed to get on my wifi it would still be happening.

Just seemed strange it happened at the same time i upgraded.

Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User
It's possible the wifi was left open without password on one of the modems. Since it only happened one month this is the logical explanation.

Although that's a large amount of data to download if multiple people had a free for all while it was open it could be done. Even only in a day.

If you ever notice a sudden jump that is unexplained. Change your wireless password ASAP.

View solution in original post

Connector

Thank you. I will check with them again and see if they will reverse extra charge, however i have a feeling not.

Updated to say support has refunded me for the overage. Sounds like was left unsecured. So thanks again for your help which helped immensely.

Community Power User
Community Power User

Great news!

Have you put a password on your wifi?  @WestCoasterBC & I strongly suggest you ensure a strong password on your network!

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"