cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage meter accuracy, actual usage

gary454
Neighbour

Sometimes I wonder if Telus was intentionally - artificially raising my monthly usage (in my past usage graph) leading up to the bandwidth caps in May, to scare me into accepting the unlimited bandwidth for the 15.00 monthly charge. For example, telus has my usage well over the 150gb starting August 2014 (309gb) up to an incredible (impossible) 585gb used in March of 2015. There are 3 of us in the household. We all surf the internet - NONE of us download large files, none of us do any online gaming or music. Our wireless is secure - no possible chance others are stealing. Starting in May of 2015, our usage fell to 98gb, June was 106, July 135 and now we received the email warning us that we are close to the 150gb limit (140gb as of a few minutes ago) which I feel is still far more than we are actually using. From a low of 98gb to a high of 585gb - doesn't make sense?

53 REPLIES 53

I only have home internet with TELUS. Like many here, I feel taken advantage of. I have been going to the 192.... etc webpage to check what devices are connected to my network. I've been keeping track of our household usage ( time, duration, type of usage) of internet ( Telus site)and have lowered the video quality on all our devices and apps ( such as Netflix and youtube)to use as little gigs as possible but Telus is still overcharging me for usage. Especially with our smart TV ( mostly netflix)and VOiP.  I've been doing my research on a reasonable rate of usage per apps and TELUS is way off the mark. I've call them and the only thing the rep can say is that their systems and measurements are accurate. Then again how would she know. To get hardware to get an accurate reading of my usage is beyond my expertise. I did file a complain with CCTS so we'll see what come out of it.

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/codes-stats-and-reports/procedural-code/

Too bad we are at the mercy of what TELUS tells us our usage is without confirming it. Last time I call instead of trying to get down to the specific amount of usage daily from their end citing privacy concerns ( it's my household so really?), they asked me to spend more money on unlimited internet. I do not need unlimited internet when 400 gigs will do. A 1/2 hr internet phone call does not use 2 gis nor does one hour of netflix use 4 gigs at the lowest image quality setting. So until we customers get, like we would do on a phone bill, a break down of our internet usage, expect to be overcharged for your internet usage until the government steps in and tells the company to provide a detailed record of usage. In the meantime, we will try some of the local BC internet providers. Hope they are more honest and do not try to take advantage of trusting customers.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@cashcow wrote:

. So until we customers get, like we would do on a phone bill, a break down of our internet usage, expect to be overcharged for your internet usage until the government steps in and tells the company to provide a detailed record of usage. 

Like electricity, natural gas, and in some places water, your cost is based on total consumption, and not billed by what the utility is used for. To Telus, a Byte is a Byte, they are neither cataloging where it comes from,  nor would most folks be prepared to go through the thousands of categories of use in a billing.

Most instances of high usage are created by individual users within the household, malicious software, or outside individuals siphoning your data. Some high end routers provide more detail, and allow you to specify the use volumes to each device on your network - have you considered such an option?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

For those interested in measuring their usage, both a secondary router such as an ASUS router will provide the home user a means to independently measure the daily usage.

TO provide usage per device then a firmware such as ASUSWRT-Merlin can be loaded on compliant routers allowing a great deal of flexibility in Security & Data Usage.

Lola
Rockstar

I just went to get my graph from Shaw and the sign-in page wouldn't load. Sigh. But when I looked yesterday in relation to this post we were at 23gb, with the current cycle running until the 17th. So a teensy bit higher this month. Our phones take about 4gb of that number so far. 

Gary454: from 316 to 585 to 226 looks odd, almost like something malfunctioned in March.

gary454
Neighbour

Oops sorry - repost

xray
Guardian

My usage pattern with 4 mobile phones, 4 computers, 3 tablets and Netflix account. Kids are on Skype, Snapchat and YouTube a lot. I also monitor my security cameras once in a while over the Internet. The usage looks about right for me.

@gary454 I think there's something going on with your network at home that you aren't aware of.

emcee2
Coach

I've been wondering what's going on too.  For our house, we can seemingly be well on track to come in under our bandwidth cap and then boom - we are over.  It doesn't add up.  Two months in a row.

For instance; email notice Sept 17 (1:27 AM) says we are at 75%; Sept. 20 (1:35 PM )another email that we are at 95%, Sept. 21 (12:05 PM)another email to say I have gone over.

Meanwhile: over at my telus account the "internet usage" shows - now, Sept 22 @ 1:35 PM - that I am at 148 GB of my 150 GB allotment.

So, is that statement at the end of the email notices that reads: "My Account is updated daily with your data usage - so that you can track it throughout the month." an out and out lie, or one of those left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing things?  The online data is clearly not in sync with the email notifications.  SO VERY FRUSTRATING.

The other part of this that makes no sense is that if the internet notifications are to be believed we have used 35 GB in 4 days.  Is the Telus pipe into my house even capable of Tx/Rx that much data over 4 days?  Nothing changed with our viewing habits... there were a few hours of Netflix and the usual web surfing on tablets and a few things like that.  I'm not saying it isn't possible, it just seems VERY unlikely.

The coup de grâce, so to speak, is that according to the Telus support staff I have spoken with in the past there is no way for me to see myself what is consuming the Data - i.e. a bandwidth monitor at the modem/router level.  I have one of those Actiontec V1000 (I think) routers... is there any way to set up a bandwidth monitor on the connection?

The coup de grâce II: Netflix on the Cisco 430 Optik TV box is constantly having problems.  Works just fine from the Playstation, which is wired into the ethernet port on the back of the Optik TV box (in case you didn't know that was possible).  Clearly the Netflix app for that Cisco box needs some - refinement.

Aside: I can get none of the formatting controls to work on this edit box.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

The slowest of Telus' offerings - 6Mbps allows over 2GB of data per hour downloads, so yes, it is possible to download 35 GB in 4 days.  A number of posters here have expressed frustration with the differential timeline between notifications, and the tracking on the website.  Many gateways have logs indicating the number of packets or MB transferred, but you would need to reset the gateway at the beginning of each billing period to have a chance of trying to match your consumed volume.

NFtoBC

gary454
Neighbour

Definitely something wrong in our case. I was in Victoria for 6 days with my family. Our usage went from the 138gb in the graph to 255 in the course of those 6 days. Unusual considering no one home and routers etc. all unplugged. Telus will be out here tomorrow as we are already showing well over 100gb in the first week of the new month.

JL69
Just Moved In

I am suspicious of my usage data as well.

-do you have anything that uses a "cloud service"? Are any of your machines a chromebook?

-did you recently update your computers to Windows 10?

-do you use Netflix?

-are you using SmartTV features to watch movies?

-do you have security cameras that send images to the cloud like Dropcam?

-do you have Android TV box like TVpad, HTV, Pivos?

-anyone using Kodi or XBMC?

-anyone using Roku and/or Chromecast?

-anyone using the cloud to do backups?

None of the above for me except I do have/check my security cameras.  Can I assume they send images to the cloud?  How data does this take up?

We have a desktop, a laptop, and 2 tablets.  My data usage sounds similar to Lola, NFtoBC, and xray yet my usage averaged about 175 GB in 2015.  I think it was about 145 GB in 2014.  Telus website only shows past 12 months.  I have Internet 25 (250 GB limit).  This month with 12 days left, I am at 174 GB already.  Why is my data usage so much higher than Lola, NFtoBC, and xray?

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

@JL69​ :  To clarify... what is the make and model of your security camera?  I use Nest/Dropcams and they consume over 70gb a month each at HD.

JL69
Just Moved In

@xl

I have the DLink DCS-5010L from Costco.

First got it in Aug, 2014 and we went on a 10 day trip soon after so we used/experimented with the new cams quite a bit.  However, during that period/cycle, our data usage was only 90 GB.

For 17 months (Sept/14 to Dec/15) my average monthly usage was 160 GB. In June, 2015, I used 272 GB. No idea how that happened and got Telus to waive the over usage charge.

I will have to dig deeper to get usage data prior to Sept/14 but my guess is my average monthly usage was even lower.

Now with about 10 days left, I am at 175 GB.

Like I said earlier, I know others who use the internet similar to me and their monthly average is about 100 GB.

I have now told everybody in the household not to download/watch/listen to anything on internet for the next 10 days.

My wife works from home a fair bit but she has been off work for the past 11 days so that can't be it.

We may watch 5-10 minutes of video here and there (like from CNN, Youtube, etc.) but no full length featured films in HD as far as I know.  I have talked to others in the household.  Definitely no net flix.

Sounds like we use the internet similar to Lola, NFtoBC, and xray but why is mine so much higher?

Dark_Knight
Rockstar

Could it be a neighbour leeching off your network? Is your network security set to WEP, WPA2 TKIP or WPA2 AES?

This might be a shot in the dark, but do you have a guest network SSID broadcasting? 

iPhone power user

The Network is Wired landline only.

The Wireless portion which is WAP2 has been turned off.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@courierdog wrote:

The Network is Wired landline only.

The Wireless portion which is WAP2 has been turned off.

Can you provide a bit more detail about your query?

NFtoBC

One of the annoying features of the Telus Router is the LAN Status Bandwidth is displayed in Packets while Telus sell the service based on GB of Data.

A Software (Firmware) change would permit the end user to read the Daily LAN Bandwidth in GB and log this for a minimum of the Billing Period (Suggest nominal 60 days of Logging)

The TomatoUSB firmware permits even more security and network monitoring capability by the end user in GB of Data

The DD-WRT firmware version also provide a similar suite of capabilities also using GB of Data

Why Telus sells the Data Usage by the GB but insists the supplied Router provide its data usage in Packets only serves to confuse the average user rather than working with the user to provide a consistent means of data input / output measurement.

Because Telus sadly outsources the firmware/software development of Actiontec routers to 3rd party companies.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

No ISP that has their networking hardware firmware/software development in house. All routers that are used by ISPs have their firmware outsourced. Even the hardware is outsourced as it's primarily in Asia. There are no Canadian companies building routers, networking hardware, and software in Canada.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Well Google Fiber appears to have some custom firmware development for their "Network Box". I heard it's a heavily modified Actiontec router. But the firmware is nothing like TELUS or others.

And I believe I've seen some job postings from Google related to it before.

I skip ISP provided routers anyhow, doesn't affect me.

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

I recommend changing your wifi password at this time as a precaution.

broadbentr
Organizer

It could be a number of things but something telus has confirmed is that the meter can sometimes be up to 3 or 4 days behind.  So tracking your usage on a daily basis is not possible.