cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage meter accuracy, actual usage

gary454
Neighbour

Sometimes I wonder if Telus was intentionally - artificially raising my monthly usage (in my past usage graph) leading up to the bandwidth caps in May, to scare me into accepting the unlimited bandwidth for the 15.00 monthly charge. For example, telus has my usage well over the 150gb starting August 2014 (309gb) up to an incredible (impossible) 585gb used in March of 2015. There are 3 of us in the household. We all surf the internet - NONE of us download large files, none of us do any online gaming or music. Our wireless is secure - no possible chance others are stealing. Starting in May of 2015, our usage fell to 98gb, June was 106, July 135 and now we received the email warning us that we are close to the 150gb limit (140gb as of a few minutes ago) which I feel is still far more than we are actually using. From a low of 98gb to a high of 585gb - doesn't make sense?

53 REPLIES 53

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

There might be a delay.... but after the 3 or 4th day.... you know exactly your consumption.  If you go away for a week for a family vacation.  You can really see your consumption when no one is around.

Edmund
Neighbour

sure I concur, and for a number of months which I monitored the usage using networx and comparing it to the figure telus posted, I found telus is giving me a figure about 15% more than my actual usage, and actually telus can give us any figure it likes and we don't know how they sum up to that figure, but one thing we are sure is when we download a file, the size is a known figure, and including the required upload and some overheads, networx is giving me a very reasonable figure which is about 5% more than the actual downloaded and uploaded size, but telus is giving jme a figure which is on the average 15% larger than networx, that means about 20% larger than the actual usage and is entirely ridiculous and unacceptable.

I tried to make a complain to customer service, and they throw me to the technical department and the guys there just throw me a lot of novice knowledge and information which is entirely not to the point and they refused to find out the problem why telus is recording such a huge figure and just throw me back to the customer service and ask me to paid $30 more for unlimited plan and solve the problem.  I don't know what conclusion to made and maybe anybody can make a judge on that.

My iphone usage is like this.  Know better not to go for their TV and home phone plan obviously!  

cellarboy
Neighbour

I'd like to throw my 2 cents in here. I'm in the third month of being a customer and have a 250GB cap. Was a Shaw customer for 17 years previously and when they started showing usage I noted I never went over their 150GB cap except for once. Got the plan with 250GB cap for Telus to make sure I never incur an overage.

So on my first bill the usage listed was 129GB. Typical to what I've seen before on Shaw. This even with a good bit of Netflix binge watching during a week I was off work sick.

Coming to the end of my second month and I start seeing missed calls galore from Telus and finally my bill arrives and my internet usage for the 2nd month is 239GB! And low and behold I finally manage to take one of the calls from Telus and they guy is trying to sell "unlimited internet" for $15 extra a month.

I smell some BS at work here. There's NO WAY our household usage jumped by this much.  If anything use of services such as Netflix has been reduced.

So I'm going to take some measures like reducing the quality of Netflix streams and see what happens. If that usage doesn't drop dramatically I'm going to be having some serious conversations with Telus. If you're going to cap users your measurements better be **bleep** well fair and accurate and had better not be attempts to scare customers into add ons. I'll cut our overall services before I pay more.

pchan229
Just Moved In

I would have to agree with your observation. I have a similar problem.

We (2 person household) used Telus internet 25 plan with 300GB for almost a year. In the last 11 months, we have never exceeded the limit. It was about 180GB per month. Last month, we were convinced to change to Telus internet 50 plan with 450GB. We have yet felt the difference between Internet 25 and 50, our internet usage surged to 420GB in less than 24 days. We for sure will have to pay extra for over usage in this month. There is no reason for such a huge increase as we have not changed our internet use pattern. This is outrageous. I checked Telus website regarding high-speed internet which does indicate high speed comes with high usage. If this is true, then Telus is creating a trap for customers to fall into.  Maybe I should revert to my old plan. Any suggestions in the community?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The plan you are on won't have any effect at all on the amount of data used. High data usage can be caused by a few things including malware, unrestricted P2P/torrenting, streaming 4K, or Windows 10.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

pchan229
Just Moved In

I tend to agree with your observation. I have a similar problem.

We (2 person household) used Telus internet 25 plan with 300GB for almost a year. In the last 11 months, we have never exceeded the limit. It was about 180GB per month. Last month, we were convinced to change to Telus internet 50 plan with 450GB. We have yet felt the difference between Internet 25 and 50, our internet usage surged to 420GB in less than 24 days. We for sure will have to pay extra for over usage in this month. There is no reason for such a huge increase as we have not changed our internet use pattern. This is outrageous. I checked Telus website regarding high-speed internet which does indicate high speed comes with high usage. If this is true, then Telus is creating a trap for customers to fall into.  Maybe I should revert to my old plan. Any suggestions in the community?

I think to draw the conclusion in exact, you really need to monitor your own traffic and record that for a comparison before you can judge on telus figure, I would say you may use a wired computer and install networx to monitor your outgoing and incoming traffic and give you a total, turn off your wifi in your router to ascertain that is the only computer using the internet, download some large video files from youtube say make that a total of 5G downloaded, then stop using the internet for two days or just briefly browse the internet as required, after 48 hours when telus must have updated the final figure, get the figure and compare that with networx which you can see from the customs tab by choosing the first and final date to see the total usage.  From my experience which I monitored every month when my allowed usage was 100G, usually I could only use up to 88G at most and telus will report a figure up to 100G, that is around 10% more than my actual usage, everybody can try that using a few days time, its totally worth to do that.  Good luck for everybody using telus.

gary454
Neighbour

I ended up being at 161 in August 2015, paying an extra 5.00.  Since August 2015, my average usage per month has been 109gb. With a low of 90 and a high of 112.  For this month I'm at 114 with 3 days remaining in the period.

pix530
Just Moved In

Incorrect usage statistics and inability to prove their numbers is a known issue.

At least for me.

We are light users, almost no youtube, no netflix and no games at all, and even no downloads.

Mostly we use Internet for reading news and emails.

I checked my cell phone wifi data only and used 9.8Gb per month. About same would be with my wife.

Coincidentally, after we signed 3 years agreement and connected Optic TV our utilization came up from less than 50gb to 600gb-800gb.

Telus Customer Service sent me to their technical team and they sent me back to Customer Service.

CS can see that after we signed for Optic our utilization immediately went up, they swear Optic doesn't count.

They refused to provide ANY details, all I asked for: scr dsc IP. Thats it.

They said bylaw they not allowed to tell me this information which is absurd.

More, they switched from daily to monthly stats, so I am not even able to disconnect all Internet sources for 1 day and see if utilization is really 0.

I am IT security expert so there is no issues with compromised wifi, sniffers, weak passwords etc.

More, our signal is within our house only so it is not an option.

I could setup Cisco router and use neflow to gather detailed data but this would not benefit me at the moment, I am not ready to battle with Telus corporation over user over utilization so far.

Telus modem is not smart enough to give me any statistics.

I believe they really use invalid data, otherwise they would be able to proof it with details.

Right, the horrible usage data is driving my crazy since it is happening every month, even though I complained to the manager twice this year, there is no use at all, the most frustrating part is every month on the last day, I checked the usage in the morning and confirmed the figure is updated as seen at the bottom at midnight on that day, therefore I know approx. how much I can use on the last day. Taking last month as example, I checked the usage as 131G and my entitles amount is 150G, so I got 19G left, I know telus is giving use a very much higher figure, so I purposely only use 6G on that day since I have real time monitoring in my computer, so adding up cannot go higher than 140G, but when I receive the invoice, telus even give me a figure of over 150G and wanted to charge me another $5, I immediately made a complain again and they agreed to cut that extra charge on me and is entirely ridiculous to see something like that.  IN actual fact on that service month, from my record my total usage was only 132G for the whole month, but telus can give me a figure of over 150G which is 15% more.

And the other frustrating part is I continued to monitor everyday the usage and this month, on the first 6 days, I used only 12G but telus is already reporting my figure as 19G which is terrible, I made a complain to customer service and they put me to the technical department and the answer is they can't do anything since they are not in control of how data is collected , and don't even know which department is doing the programming of the system software collecting the data, and they put the case to the manager and they said the manager will return back to me immediately but up to now its more than a week and nobody ever call me back and give me an answer, so this is telus service !!! SEE THAT yourself.  Those complains actually started when telus started to charge on overuse year ago, and up to now, there is no improvement and situation even getting worse and the usage figure is reporting more and more. One day I purposely only check some email and only used less than 20MB that tiny and shut down the router to see how telus reports, and the next day, I checked telus reported I used 1G on that day and is 50 times my actual usage, really terrible !!!

I would say its hopeless to make complains to telus since they won't do anything about it, maybe this is what the system is programmed to be like that to charge customers money because not many people can actually monitor their real traffic since many people connect many deviced to their router and is hard to monitor all the usage, but I can since I only use one wired computer and nothing else, no wifi at all, therefore my real time traffic figure is accurate to make a judgement.

Moved:

dru
Community Manager
Community Manager

Moving/creating reply as topic in appropriate sub-forum.