cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to fibre, have some questions.

efritsch
Just Moved In

I recently upgraded to fibre but noticed my speeds are no different than the regular DSL internet I had. I'm fairly certain that the guy on the phone said it would be faster. Is this normal? If it is, what is the advantage to getting fibre?

Also, can someone explain to me why after fibre, I now have 3 boxes. The fibre box, the DSL box and the 5G router. I was really hoping that the fibre would simplify things and allow me to use my Linksys Router like I could using cable internet.

Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If the speed seems off, call Telus. They can check to make sure it's configured correctly on their end.

Normally for fiber installs there are 3 boxes. The ONT (fiber terminal), the battery backup for the ONT, and whatever router they installed. The Actiontec gateway would be acting as router only if you have fiber. Do you have Optik TV as well? If yes, which Actiontec did they give you? If it's the T1200, you can bridge port 1 in the settings and attach your Linksys there with no problems. Optik boxes will still require the Actiontec for all features to work.

I don't have fiber and I have my own router connected to port 1 on my T2200 (bonded gateway) and have no issues so far. It is the simpler setup than installing a switch between the ONT and the Actiontec / your router.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

efritsch
Just Moved In

Thanks for the prompt reply. I guess I'll have to call Telus about the speed issue.

I don't have Optik TV, I have the white fibre box which is hooked to my original DSL modem via network cable which is then hooked up via network cable to the 5G Router that Telus originally gave me. I'm assuming the battery back up is hidden behind my TV stand as there is no other cable aside from the cat5 that connects the fibre to any other box. I wasn't home during install, my wife was.

If I'm understanding you correctly, I shouldn't have the DSL box and I may not need the router. My Linksys does 80.11b/g/n and may provide enough bandwidth. At least it has more than two hardwire ports.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you do not have phone on Fibre, then there will be no battery backup device. The early installs in my town left phone on copper, thus no battery, as there is no requirement to maintain internet or TV services during power outages.

I'll take the telco's permanence of power backup over a local battery any day!

The ONT decodes the fibre signal to ethernet. You can use any router if you don't need the multicast segmentation  of the Telus supplied routers, which address the TV stream.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

@efritsch:  are your speed assessments done when Ethernet connected?  Wifi may have a bottleneck, but Ethernet won't.

Also is there someone else in the house streaming movies on wifi?  Do you have an security cam running and consuming bandwidth?

broadcastguy
Coach

When I had fibre initially, the difference was that I got higher speeds than my plan was provisioned for, due to the overhead.  Now, however, I am getting less than what my plan is provisioned for because TELUS oversold the area I live in and the fibre splitter is at capacity.  So much for that fibre advantage that set TELUS apart from other providers, such as Shaw.