Unfair pricing depending on neighbourhood?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Neighbour

I was looking forward to PureFibre coming to my neighbourhood (South Surrey). It's finally available, but for some reason capped at 50/50 for $80/month. I checked my mom's neighbourhood (about 15 minutes away), and for $80/month, she gets 75/75 service and for $10 more, 150/150. How is this fair, Telus?

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

It likely is dependent on the availability of ports at the telco building. It is interesting, though, as 75/75 seems the current midline setup.

Unless you have a large number of users, you will not see an appreciable difference in day to day use between 50 and 75.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Neighbour

I was considering switching away from Shaw, but I'll be paying the same amount for less downstream bandwidth. Even if it practically won't make a difference most of the time, I can't stomach a) getting less for the same money than if I lived 10 minutes away, and b) paying the same amount of money for less bandwidth than I get with Shaw. I'm just honestly surprised Telus has different pricing like this. For $10/month more than I'd be paying, I could be getting 3x the bandwidth if I lived in a slightly different neighbourhood. Doesn't add up to me.

Ambassador

This is why they no longer show Internet pricing up front have to enter residential address...too many people choked how much better service their neighbours are getting for the price. Cat Frustrated

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yup! I can get gigabit upstairs, but only 6 Mbps in the in-law suite, according to the interface.  Robot LOL

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Neighbour

The Telus rep could not explain how it was fair that I'd be paying the same thing for less. Nor could she explain how a new neighbour that was just upgraded would be limited to 1/3 the speed that most neighbourhoods have. She tried to offer me 6 months of the introductory price, but I can't bring myself to subscribe to something that is overpriced and would be downgrade from my Shaw service. Maybe I'll check back next year, though I can't imagine they'll be back to upgrade things anytime soon seeing as they literally just brought in this sub-standard service.