Unfair Internet Overage Charges For Rural Customers Stuck on 1, 3, 6, Mbit Plans.

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

JDeluca
Resident

Ok, so as far as I can see, this is the most unfair thing to rural customers who are not served by Optik, or Fiber to the cabinet. SO because Telus can only provide our area with a 1, 3 or 6Mbit DSL service with 30, 60, or 100GB per month, our hands are tied. If we were able to get a 25 megabit plan with 250GB per month or the 50mb plan with 400 this wouldn't be an issue. So customers here get charged 52.00/mo for internet 6 in a bundle, or 57.00 stand alone. Now your saying because TELUS can't provide a faster package to me and I'm stuck with a slow crap 90's era DSL plan with 10 year old data caps from when the service was turned on in this town that it's my fault I'm using 150-200 GB more data? I would go for a plan that offers more GB of monthly data BUT I DON'T QUALIFY!. And neither do the hundreds of other people in this area that I speak for. So now if I wanted 250GB of monthly Data, I would have to pay:

1. If I'm a customer stuck on the 6Meg Plan (who's data caps have been 100gb probably for 10 years) because I Don't qualify for anything faster: 100GB PLAN =  57.00 +5.00, +10.00, +10.00 = 82.00/mo for 6Mbit internet with 250GB of monthly Data. DOES THIS SEEM FAIR? THATS 14.00 A MONTH MORE THAN THE 25 Mbit PACKAGE. AND 1.00 a MONTH LESS THAN THE 50 Mbit PACKAGE, that we CAN NOT GET, because some corporate schmuck is lining his pockets instead of updating the DSLAMS in rural areas. I see that the town next to us is getting Fiber to the houses this year. What about us. Can't we at least get Fiber to the Cab upgrades? Or an update at the same time??? If people had the choice to go to a higher package so they never ran over their measly 60-100GB data cap, I'm sure they would.

And how sweet of TELUS to charge the small towns like us starting in MARCH instead of JULY for internet data Overages. The least Telus could do is give everyone on the slow crappy plans 250gb of data to match the service that we can't get. This is petition worthy, and maybe even deserves a call to the ombudsman.

Community Power User
Community Power User

Complain to the  crtc it will fall on deaf ears here.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi @JDeluca, you can add an unlimited add-on for $10 per month.
JDeluca
Resident

ET I would like to know where you are getting this false information.  Here is the direct quote from the telus page on what the fees will be. 

"TELUS is introducing clear and simple usage-based Internet charges for home Internet customers who exceed their monthly data plan allowance, starting on March 2015 bills. The new charges are designed to ensure the amount customers pay for internet service reflects their actual data consumption – you pay for what you use. For customers who go over their monthly data allowance, TELUS will charge an additional $5 for the first 50 gigabytes (GB) of data, and $10 for each additional 50 GB. We are also introducing unlimited data add-ons for $15 a month for customers with TELUS TV, $30 a month for other Internet customers."

So because i dont have telus tv, my charge for unlimited on the internet 6 plan that currently is 57.00/mo. Will be 87.00 a month for 6 megabit internet as it says 30.00 for "other internet customers" Thanks for charging me 5 dollars more a month for internet 6 than what internet 50 is worth. SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT DEAL TO ME.  Not!!!!!  HOW IS THIS JUSTIFIABLE??

Community Manager
Community Manager

@JDeluca If the highest plan you can have is internet 6, they you can have the unlimited add-on at $10 instead of $30. Call 310-1212 or reach out to the TELUS chat team to get it added. www.telus.com/chat

dacimvrl
Neighbour

@JDeluca sounds like time to jump ship!

dukeebony
Helpful Neighbour

Thanks ScottyJ ---but I was not referring to mobile free data---I was referring to home internet service free data.That appears to be where the money is for Telus. Telus provides 6 Internet packages with free data ranging as follows: Telus 1--15 free G data, Telus 6--100 free G data, Telus 15--150 free G data, Telus 25--250 free G data, Telus 50--400 G free data and Telus 100--500 G free data. Most customers now use the internet to do banking and pay their bills online, check out news and weather online, use email instead of snail mail and watch the odd TV series or movie that they get from servers like CRAVE--- SHOMI and NETFLIX . Telus suggests it take 700 M to download a movie and 3 G to watch 1 hour of NETFLIX/CRAVE or SHOMI. In a one month period, it does not take long before you exceed the free data offered by Telus which eventually results in and additional charge to a maximum of $75 over and above your regular Internet fee for the month. That is a real slap in the face by Telus to their customers!!!! Yes I realize that come March 30th; customers will be able to purchase unlimited data at the rate of $15 per month ( if they have Telus TV service) OR $30 per month if they don't. However, the free data allowed by Telus should be in Terabytes not Gigabytes. Gigabytes may have been sufficient for the 1990's early 2000----BUT customers need Terabytes for use in the 21st Century. Maybe you should re-post this in a more appropriate blog---to reflect Home internet rather that mobile phone data!!!!!

Cheers,

dukeebony
Helpful Neighbour

ScottyJ---further to my recent post--- the cost of Internet is outrageous unless you bundle it with home telephone/cell service and TV service. Not all customers want TV because of the commercials and the TV packages do not offer the customers the channels they want to watch unless they pick one or all of the packages offered by Telus.

dukeebony
Helpful Neighbour

Sorry ET but as a moderator you have your facts wrong. The unlimited add-on for data is not $10. The unlimited add-on is $15/month IF you have TV service with Telus---otherwise it is $30/month.

Further more the free data should be in Terabytes NOT Gigabytes. 

Telus should take the lead with Terabyte free data and put shame on the competition by getting into the 21st Century 

dukeebony
Helpful Neighbour

ET---just another example of GOUGING money from customers by Telus and other service providers----Not unlike the oil companies we all hate!!!!!!!!!!!!

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ dukeebony, Crave TV isn't taking away data from your internet plan as it's TV based - On demand service, Netflix is an App and will use data from your internet plan.  If the fastest internet available at your location is the Internet 6 plan, then you are able to get the unlimited data add-on for only 10$ per month. If all the plans available at your location then you can either change plan or get the unlimited add-on for 15$ if you're subscribed to Optik TV or 30$ if you aren't

Please make sure you keep this conversation constructive. Here's the link to our Neighbourhood House Rules.

Thank you,

ET

dukeebony
Helpful Neighbour

Hello ET and thanks for your soft approach. I have read your house rules and apologize for the reference to gouging.

Can you please advise whether Telus is considering to take the lead in the industry and increase the free data from Gigabytes to Terabytes; which many of us feel is a more in line with users desires; BUT not by  increasing the monthly cost of Internet services. I have been a Telus user for many years---am satisfied with their service but think internet services for the Telus 25,50 and 100 services should be in terabytes.

Lets see what other users have to say????? 

dukeebony
Helpful Neighbour
Hello ET. Please accept my apologies if I went outside the parameters of House rules. Dukeebony

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
http://www.avast.com
Community Power User
Community Power User

Can you please advise whether Telus is considering to take the lead in the industry and increase the free data from Gigabytes to Terabytes; which many of us feel is a more in line with users desires;

Telus will not pre-announce such info here, look to their media pages for news releases, where it will happen first, followed by their Twitter and Facebook feeds.

I would expect that Telus has a pretty good handle on data volumes consumed by their customers, and these caps will affect only the greatest volume users. Those who want to use Internet-based video delivery instead of cable, satellite or fibre, will likely find their data costs climb the greatest. Those who are not consuming those volumes of video data will likely stay within their data limits; those using video data sparingly and an existing TV source for much of their video viewing will also have little trouble meeting their usage allotment, leaving only the "cable cutters" and those running commercial data volumes hitting their caps.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Dark_Knight
Rockstar

@dukeebony you can go from gigabytes to petabytes if you want...for the low low price of $15/th (with optik) or $30/mth extra without it. Technically, telus has already done what you're asking for. Smiley Tongue 

iPhone power user
dukeebony
Helpful Neighbour

dukeebony
Helpful Neighbour

Dark_Knight you have a point. Technically they have not. I am querying why they don't include terabytes in the present Internet packages ie: Telus 15 to Telus 100.  Yes they offer unlimited data for those one low price you mention BUT for how long will that price remain at $15 and $30. Increasing the Internet package free data to terabytes with no increase in the package rates would be better for the consumer and then the consumer would not have to pay for overages 

intolerant_jerk
Resident

Just to clarify, if for instance, I can get 50Mb on copper, but cannot get 100Mb, would I still be able to get unlimited for $10 or is that restricted to lower tiers? 

Though I too believe the caps to be way too small in this day and age (4k streaming and medium usage can get you up there pretty quickly) I think $10 a month for unlimited is fair. $30 however, is a bit excessive. 

dukeebony
Helpful Neighbour

intolerant_jerk----not sure what service provider copper is part of. Telus has Telus 1 and Telus 6 internet packages, which allow 15 GB and 100 GB of free data respectively. If you have either these packages ( and can not get the higher packages)  you can get unlimited data for $10. Otherwise it's $15 (with Telus Optik TV OR $30 if you don't have Telus TV

intolerant_jerk
Resident

Copper is the physical medium. Either you're on copper, or you're on fibre.