cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble accessing port from within LAN via public address

Dwiebe
Just Moved In

Working Setup:

I have 150 Fiber internet plan with a T1200H from telus.  I have been running the T1200H in bridge mode using my own personal router.  I also have my own security cameras that I setup to view externally via port forwarding; I use the public IP address to view the cameras regardless if I'm at home within the LAN or remote.  With this setup the T1200H and my router each get their own public IP and I use my router's IP and forwarded port to access the cameras. Everything works great...except, my router is a bit dated, and was a cheapy from the start, so wired speeds are slowed down to ~100mps vs 175mps when connected directed to the T1200H.  Wifi isn't the best either on my router.  So rather than buy a new router, I'm thinking to just delete my old one. 

Problem Setup:

I removed my router, disabled bridging on the T1200H and setup port forwarding.  Everything is working except one hitch.  I can access my cameras remotely using the public IP via port forwarding (when I'm not on the LAN), I can access my cameras within the LAN when I use the local IP address, but I can't access the cameras using the public IP from within the LAN.

I know, why not just use the local IP when at home?  It's an inconvenience within the app having to switch back and forth, plus, because the public IP changes periodically I usually find out when at home with my previous setup instead of when I'm away.  And finally, I want to know why.

During testing, I've found I can ping the T1200H using the public IP when outside the LAN; however, when inside the LAN I cannot.  It seems that the T1200H won't respond to a request involving it's own public IP when originating from within the LAN.  Anybody else experience this?  Is there a setting in the T1200H that I'm missing?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Dwiebe wrote:

During testing, I've found I can ping the T1200H using the public IP when outside the LAN; however, when inside the LAN I cannot.  It seems that the T1200H won't respond to a request involving it's own public IP when originating from within the LAN.  Anybody else experience this?  Is there a setting in the T1200H that I'm missing?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

This issue has been reported by others, but I do not recall a solution being posted. If you don’t have Optik TV, you can connect a router f your choosing to the ONT.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Thanks for the response. I see a new post with what looks like the same issue. I'd sure like to resolve this, but at least I'm not the only one.

I think you need Hairpin NAT (or NAT Loopback) configured to allow two internal devices to talk to each other via the public interface.  I'm not sure if the T1200 supports this or not.