Transport PVR to cottage

Highlighted
Resident
Can I transport my PVR to my cottage where I have no TV service and watch recorded TV on my TV there?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

This Neighbourhood is inhabited by customers, just like you. We have no insight to Telus business plans, and no connection to the internal workings of Telus. We volunteer to share knowledge about Telus products and services which we have gained by experience or surmise. As such, the following is a guess on my part:

Basically, PVR recordings are meant to allow you to time shift programs in the comfort of your own home, but not to allow place shifting. While you simply want to be able to watch things you have recorded at a time of your choosing, which happens to be at the cottage, others might record shows for use in other venues for other than convenience.  It seems the copyright holder is placing bounds on where you can view their product, and the current technology better allows that to be enforced than in the past.

Maybe @rayrayjj or @vishwa can jump in with their experiences with Slingbox or similar.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

No, unlike a VCR, programs recorded on a PVR require your Internet connection to play.

You could download some programs from other sources to a computer and play them back at the cottage, but that is a different process entirely.

NFtoBC
Highlighted
Ambassador

This kinda surprised me that you need an internet connection to playback stuff you have recorded on the PVR.  I'd assumed that because the stuff was recorded on the PVR hard drive that it was good to go.  So of course I had to try this out by disconnecting the network from my PVR and lo and behold even though you can open the PVR menu and see all the shows you have recorded, when you go and try to playback a show you get a blank screen.  So what is it that requires an internet connection for playback of recorded shows if they are stored locally on the PVR?

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

This Neighbourhood is inhabited by customers, just like you. We have no insight to Telus business plans, and no connection to the internal workings of Telus. We volunteer to share knowledge about Telus products and services which we have gained by experience or surmise. As such, the following is a guess on my part:

Basically, PVR recordings are meant to allow you to time shift programs in the comfort of your own home, but not to allow place shifting. While you simply want to be able to watch things you have recorded at a time of your choosing, which happens to be at the cottage, others might record shows for use in other venues for other than convenience.  It seems the copyright holder is placing bounds on where you can view their product, and the current technology better allows that to be enforced than in the past.

Maybe @rayrayjj or @vishwa can jump in with their experiences with Slingbox or similar.

NFtoBC

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

The recordings are basically encrypted and will only work on the PVR they were recorded on. The PVR seems to require internet in order to unlock or authorize playback on the PVR.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Ambassador

@NFtoBC explained it well.  This situation isn't unique to Telus.  Recorded programs cannot be viewed on Shaw PVRs without having an active Shaw connection.  The PVRs need the headend to authorize playing.  It isn't enough to have internet connection.  One way to achieve what you want to do is using a Slingbox(there are several versions--anyone should work).

Assuming you don't use a 4K PVR/STB, it should work well with most other models.  I have tried it with IPV6015 and CIS330.  My guess is that ISB7100/7150 and CIS430 should work as well.  Use the component out for the slingbox and HDMI for the home TV.  Use a tablet in the cottage.