cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus to Telus calls

Irishgranny
Leader

How is it that Shaw -a cable company-offers free long-distance calling between their customers anywhere in Canada(eg.Abbotsford to Winnipeg) from their home phone, yet Telus-the telephone company -doesn't do the same ??  I'm not talking mobile phone , but home landlines....surely the telephone company should be the leader in this, not a cable company 1

Any thoughts ???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Irishgranny wrote:

So...to put it in simple English for this granny....it's never going to happen with Telus...right ?     Smiley Frustrated

@Irishgranny If you have folks you regularly want to speak to long distance, it is often worth setting up the opportunity outside the telephone network. For instance, my parents connect with their granddaugher on FaceTime to do her spelling lessons. It keeps them connected, is fun, and gives them something to chat about with the great possiblity to extend the discussion in different directions. Much more personal than the phone.

There are many ways to similarly keep in touch - Skype is one well known option.

In network calling is a great idea, until a large provider such as Telus has to take the heat because of calls outside their network the caller did not realize were such.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

nasty
Rockstar

In theory, Shaw could route their phones over their data network to the other Shaw customer you are calling and not have to go onto the regular phone system. 

Maybe they just eat the cost to increase their phone customer share.

Phone services through a cable provider(localized VOIP) use 'PacketCable' technology  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PacketCable   to provide phone service which routes your phone calls over an ISP-managed network until it reaches the Public Switched Telephone Network [PSTN]. Because it's routed through the ISP-managed network, your ISP can control call quality.

Those who have a real good stable Internet connection, they have dumped the landline and gone to a VOIP provider like http://voip.ms/    .Usually they will have a cell phone as a backup in case of power failure or freaky internet routing. It all depends on your needs for a home phone and the price savings available for that need. 

Dependent on provider, users can register their address for E911. A E911 call may not be handled by your local Province 911 system and can cause errors in dispatching.

Telus would try to not offer a VOIP style phone product, as it will then gut their POTS network profits.  VOIP is the future, but copper line phone continues during long power failures. With VOIP, it lasts as long as your home UPS batteries last.

Fibre to the home will have a UPS battery in the ONT. Your Telus phone will be a VOIP style to the C.O. and then handoff to the PSTN.

The Cable Internet System has a backup power supply that is supposed to keep the Internet allive for VOIP data as a priority.

Same with Telus and their power grid that keeps the Dslam's and C.O.'s alive.

So...to put it in simple English for this granny....it's never going to happen with Telus...right ?     Smiley Frustrated

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Irishgranny wrote:

@Irishgranny If you have folks you regularly want to speak to long distance, it is often worth setting up the opportunity outside the telephone network. For instance, my parents connect with their granddaugher on FaceTime to do her spelling lessons. It keeps them connected, is fun, and gives them something to chat about with the great possiblity to extend the discussion in different directions. Much more personal than the phone.

There are many ways to similarly keep in touch - Skype is one well known option.

In network calling is a great idea, until a large provider such as Telus has to take the heat because of calls outside their network the caller did not realize were such.

NFtoBC

View solution in original post

I do use Skype forf some of my contacts..and I love it.  However not everyone has it.  I just find it strange that a cable company offers a service that the telephone company doesn't.  I realize that it works very well as an incentive thing, so do free Tv's and tablets etc. work for Telus to bring in new customers.  But as a long-time customer , would like to see some of those perks offered to us.  Maybe some type of loyalty offering ! 

Sorry...just my ongoing complaint.  Thanks for the responses !

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Skype is available on just about any elecronic communications device out there - computers, phones, tablets. I excpect more of your contacts have the easy ability to add skype to their communications device than would subscribe to Shaw home phone (remember Shaw calls are ony free between subscribers).  Possibly you need promote the benefits of a more ubitquitous communications option (eg Skype) to your regular contacts to get more of them on board?

Until very recently the cable companies offered a whole package of services the telephone company did not. The cable companies  are now trying to expand their services and finding ways to promote it, as are the telephone companies as they move into traditional cable company turf!

NFtoBC

Shaw does offer stand alone phone service. There is no need to have thier internet, even though it is a VoIP it runs seperate from the internet they provide. 🙂

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Peter_Parker wrote:

Shaw does offer stand alone phone service. There is no need to have thier internet, even though it is a VoIP it runs seperate from the internet they provide. 🙂

Peter_Parker, the webpage I saw indicated phone service had to be bundled with another service, thus my reply. Maybe the bundle is just to secure the pricing offered, but that info was not clear from the website.

NFtoBC

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Good point...

Hey doesn't Telus Mobility offer a Top 5 feature where you call Telus mobile to Telus mobile for free?  Landlines feel like bondage.

http://mobility.telus.com/en/BC/Favorite-Numbers/index.shtml

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

[This should have posted last night]

The cable company wants to get you to move from your current service which works very well, and provides excellent connectivity and clarity, to their VoIP service which may provide similar quality, or not. In addition, most of the people I call would either be local, not Shaw subscribers, or outside Shaw's calling area, so no benefit to me. I expect I'm not alone.

Companies will offer you amazing deals to get you as a customer...........

Telus is competitive or cheaper on regular calls out of network. Shaw also requires connection to,other services to get phone. If I have to buy internet, I can get far better deals on home phone than Shaw.

NFtoBC

nz
Neighbour

I use googles VOIP when I can (free long distance to any number canada + USA). It is a pity that service is not fully available in canada but I imagine the reason why it is not available  is that phone companies like telus shaw and bell are makeing $500 a year / person on it and are doing there **bleep** best to keep it out...

Nz