cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus tech took old modem

Bigbadpete
Just Moved In
Hi,
At my property, we switched utility accounts. Someone is leaving and I started a new account. The technician took the old modem and installed the new one. Recieved a letter in the mail with instructions to send the old modem to Telus. The tech took it! What do I do?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If in doubt, don't give them any information and call in to Telus using one of the phone numbers listed on Telus' website or your monthly statement. You could also use chat to inquire as well.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Did the tech leave you a business card?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

No, he didn't.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you call in they may be able to figure out who was out there. In the process mention that the tech took the old hardware back.

polecat
All-Star

It might be possible that the person had  made an arrangment with telus that the tech would reclaim the moden when a new account was requested.  You best contact telus annoying waits with no call backs.  I am in a small town and i know the techs so this makes it really easy. On their call back card they print 30 days the then the number is changed on their cell. Polecat.

xray
Hero
I would think that the new account holder should not be responsible for the previous account holders equipment.

Hi,

Pertaining to (taking) a modem and replacing it with another one, I received a call from someone stating they were from "Telus" who said my modem was a [slow] model... didn't state which I had... but noted Telus would be sending me a new high speed model.

With that, I was told I'd need to change my (network login & PIN).  Is this legit? I received a confirmation e-mail stating the same thing as well however I'm suspicious about the address.

Please confirm if Telus would call a customer pertaining something like this.

Thanks!

If in doubt, don't give them any information and call in to Telus using one of the phone numbers listed on Telus' website or your monthly statement. You could also use chat to inquire as well.

@buckledmosquito wrote:

Hi,

Pertaining to (taking) a modem and replacing it with another one, I received a call from someone stating they were from "Telus" who said my modem was a [slow] model... didn't state which I had... but noted Telus would be sending me a new high speed model.

Did the caller address you by name? If TELUS called you they would ask for the account holder by name. I never volunteer my name to an unknown caller. If they ask who is speaking I ask them who they want to talk to. To be certain you should ask the caller for your account number. If it's legit they should know it.

@buckledmosquito wrote:

With that, I was told I'd need to change my (network login & PIN).

This is normal. When you get a new router the WiFi SSID and password will be the default. You will need to change it to what you are currently using so all your devices won't have to be set up to connect again.

@buckledmosquito wrote:

I received a confirmation e-mail stating the same thing as well however I'm suspicious about the address.

The chances of some random scammer having both your phone number and email address is low. If a new router shows up that means they have your address as well so it's probably legit. Did they give you instructions for returning the old one?

Thanks... clears things up.