cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus has installed a giant Fiber box on my property without consent!

I_AM_CANADIAN_
Just Moved In

I came back from a vacation yesterday and noticed that a giant eye sore had been installed on my front yard. I went outside and asked the people installing it (AFL GLOBAL) what it was for and they said it was a Telus fiber box for the area. I then asked why they were installing it on our property without our consent and they said that they did not need our consent. They also said it was weird that they chose this location since the area across the street should have worked as well since there are no houses infront of us. It's important to note that the box is HUGE and a complete eye sore which will bring down our property value considerably. As a long time loyal Telus customer I am really dissapointed that this was done without our consent with no compensation. The box is about 5 feet high and 5 feet wide and brown. Can they just do this? Anyone else had the same thing happen to them?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I believe if you check, you will find the installation is between your property line and the sidewalk / curb, on municipal right of way. Our neighbourhood has similar utility infrastructure, including electrical transformers, cable connectors, and Telus equipment in similar locations.

There was a similar question a few months ago.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Have you confirmed exactly where your property line is? Normally in many areas it starts a distance away from the roadway. I'd recommend to confirm this first.

As for the box across the street, installing fibre without having to dig under a roadway is much faster and cheaper to install. That would be the primary reason they put it where they did. 

I've seen some Telus boxes installed in various cities that have been painted. It's possible that may happen but I have no idea what the process for that is.

(I am only a customer, not an employee.)

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I believe if you check, you will find the installation is between your property line and the sidewalk / curb, on municipal right of way. Our neighbourhood has similar utility infrastructure, including electrical transformers, cable connectors, and Telus equipment in similar locations.

There was a similar question a few months ago.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Likarok
Organizer

It is probably on the Utility Right of Way, which is usually one to two meters on the inside of the sidewalk or the street curb. 

DonRhone
Friendly Neighbour

In most cases Telus uses existing road right of way areas.  That is most likely the case, however, if the box is on your property you can indeed force Telus to move it off your property.  If you can prove the box is on your property check with a lawyer who is familiar with expropriation. They can file what is in essence a Constructive Expropriation on your behalf and force Telus to negotiate a settlement or mover the box and also pay your legal costs.

I used to work with a Highways Ministry before I retired,  No one can put anything on your property without your consent and not compensate you for it. I would bet that the box is indeed on road r/w.  Hydro poles and Telephone poles are usually on the road r/w as well.

Good luck