Telus fibre in strata

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

whataboutbob
Neighbour

We live on the 4th floor in a strata complex. The council approved Telus to come in and install fibre. The install into each unit was entirely voluntary and of course for various reasons, many did not allow access. The tubing containing the wiring goes up from the basement to units directly above - for example 106, 206, 306 and 406. Because the tubing is staggered in each unit, the fibre cannot be pulled up unless access to each unit is granted.

Unfortunately, one of our owners (unit 106) has refused to allow entry which means no fibre to the units above. Her reason being that she simply does not like the woman in 206. So we are screwed.

Question is, a few weeks ago Telus came by and doubled up the copper to another unit with a similar issue, telling them that their speed would be close to what fibre would allow.  Now, I don't want to be paying for a service I'm not really getting - however if the speed is going to be similar??? Anyone know?

Community Power User
Community Power User

Bonded copper (2 lines simultaneously) will allow a 50 Mbps level service to be installed. Not as fast as fibre, but fast enough for most users.

I take it there is no opportunity to pull the fibre in using the copper line?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
whataboutbob
Neighbour

Zero chance of pulling through with the copper line, as they have been bundled in each unit and tie-strapped togeather along with shaw's cable.

I will call Telus, maybe I can work something out with regards to pricing.

Community Power User
Community Power User
I would try a meeting with Strata, she shouldn't be able to hold your phone service hostage because she has a beef with the neighbour..

That being said bonded 50 should suffice.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
whataboutbob
Neighbour

Strata laws won't permit entry to an owners unit if the owner won't allow, which makes sense. `It would take a court order, and that only happens when a common area repair is necessary.

Telus install is completely voluntary.  The other issue was, initially Telus sent a rep around door to door to ask for permission. It was about 50/50 for access. Then the install guys came 5 weeks earlier than we were told, and simply started knocking on doors asking for entry. They did this because the initial Telus rep would not share with the install people - who said yes and who said no - something about privacy.  Telus completely dropped the ball and simply ended up pissing off several owners - one to the point that she nearly called the police because they had been knocking at her door 3 times - after she asked they leave her alone.

I'm sure we're not the only strata with this problem.

But anyway, will see what Telus says and charges, for doubling up the copper for my unit.

Highlighted
xlxo
Helpful Neighbour

Thoughts...

• is there an opportunity to install the Fibre externally outside the building?
  • you may need to bribe unit 106, perhaps a few months of fees waived for access to their unit?
JTL
Advocate

> Unfortunately, one of our owners (unit 106) has refused to allow entry which means no fibre to the units above. Her reason being that she simply does not like the woman in 206. So we are screwed.

Sad. Unfortunate seeing how FTTH install can be sabotaged by immature tenants.