Telus called to upgrade my PVR box, too good to be ture?

zywan0124
Friendly Neighbour

Telus (1-888-811-2323) just called me to schedule a appointment to swap the old PVR box I have to a new one. Because I own my PVR currently, so that I asked the lady on the phone, if I am still owning the new PVR after the swap, and she said yes. I am quite supervised for this free upgrade.  

Community Power User
Community Power User

Make sure you contact Telus yourself and verify this yourself (This number has been known to be spoofed on Caller ID before). It's not normal Telus would call you out of the blue to upgrade. Also keep in mind if this offer is legit, you will lose ALL recordings. Only scheduled recording information will be carried over to the new PVR.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum

@zywan0124:  To clarify... how many years have you had your PVR box?  What model is your PVR box?

zywan0124
Friendly Neighbour

I bought this PVR box from bestbuy about two years ago, and been using telus TV since then.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/telus-telus-optik-tv-hd-single-tuner-pvr-available-in-bc-ab-only...

TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

You can rent or buy a PVR box but, I've never heard of them just giving you a PVR. It might be a legit offer if your old one was super old to the point the technology was too old but, I don't think PVR's are even old enough for that to happen. It sounds like it was really Telus but, it sounds like you are getting into a contract. You would get an email or a paper copy of the service agreement mailed to you if this was the case so just watch out for that. If neither of those things show up you would be okay. Might be a good idea to chat them online or call back though just to be safe. I'm in mobility so I'm just going based on my experiences with our outbound sales team and how customers perceive Ipads and phones when they are called as free and not realizing they are in a contract. 

Mobility Client Care Rep
zywan0124
Friendly Neighbour

That's what exactly I was thinking, unless they are doing it for everyone, I am not sure why I am so special. 

xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum

The only box newer than that model I can think of is if you signed up for 4K.

TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Haha well you might just be special! I see these wicked promo codes just pop up on accounts sometimes and we have no idea how they pick people but, we're not complaining! 

Mobility Client Care Rep
zywan0124
Friendly Neighbour

Thank you for the information, I will definitely check again with Telus. I am not on contract currently, just month to month TV and internet services with negotiated discounted price.  I don't think they can make me into contract without telling me, if they do, I will be really mad and file a compliant to CRTC, I had good experience with CRTC to solve my problem with my cell phone services before. I think I will do online chat tomorrow with them to confirm what I am getting, then save all my chatting as record.

TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

They do have to tell you that you are on a contract, you are correct. So I wonder if there was a misunderstanding or just honestly outdated software? They can resolve your issue for you quite easily. I encourage you to contact them rather than seek out the CRTC. The CRTC will tell you to contact Telus before they will help you anyways. They only step in if you have made an effort and are still getting nowhere. 

Mobility Client Care Rep
zywan0124
Friendly Neighbour

Ok, I am reporting back after an online chatting with Telus. They confirmed this swap won't affect my price, services and status of my account, and the new PVR box belongs to me just like the old one. Really, the best scenario I can think of.

Community Power User
Community Power User

Just remember you will lose all recordings. They are only available on the OLD PVR. Only the scheduled recording will carry over to the new PVR.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
robert3
Resident

There is no audio jack to plug in head phones or blue tooth on TV.

@zywan0124 wrote:

Telus (1-888-811-2323) just called me to schedule a appointment to swap the old PVR box I have to a new one. Because I own my PVR currently, so that I asked the lady on the phone, if I am still owning the new PVR after the swap, and she said yes. I am quite supervised for this free upgrade.  

WESTLOCK420
Helpful Neighbour

I had Telus call me up once and offer a free STB rental for life, but that's the best I've ever gotten. 

This is the only "out of the blue" call I have ever gotten too. 

If its legit awesome! get it in writing though! 

Telus sometimes messes up on promos I bought my PVR brand new at London Drugs on boxing day for $49.99. 

ExCTandS
Friendly Neighbour

Telus called me too this evening.  Wants to upgrade my PVR and my modem.  The PVR to allow for more features.  The modem to improve my internet experience (Their words, not mine).  Scheduled an appointment for next Tuesday.  The rep had my home address and all the necessary details, so I do believe it is legit.  Currently do not have a contract, and renting (for free) the STB.

Will be interesting to see if they can get the new box to work as the previous installers had trouble getting the current box to work.  I'm just too far from the RSU for a good signal.

Community Power User
Community Power User

@ExCTandS  You do realize you'll lose all previous recorded shows on your PVR. Only the scheduled shows and times transfer over to the new PVR. Which model pvr do you currently have and modem?

As for new features there really isn't any all the receivers are the same software, just newer hardware with more memory, hard drive size and cpu power.

ExCTandS
Friendly Neighbour

WC_BC,

Well aware that I will lose all my recordings.  Not an issue, because I can get anything I want off the Internet, I don't need to depend on TELUS.

I will also lose all my settings in the router/modem.

The Telus rep was clear that I would lose all the above, when we spoke.

Current equipment is Cisco ISB7150 PVR, and a second set top box with no disk.

The modem is an Actiontec T1200H

The Actiontec was stable once it connected to the RSU, but two techs had trouble getting it connected the first time.  I'm at the end of a really long, and old, cable run, here in Langley BC.

Telus has refused to offer Telus TV to my neighbours when they asked for it, saying it isn't available in my area, yet I have it.  Makes for an interesting conversation I'll bet.

The copper aerial cable is well over 40 years old (according to the lineman who serviced it last).

RobW56
Neighbour

The reason they can’t offer it to the neighbours is because of the old copper wire. Yes you have it, but not enough good cable to give to the area. They aren’t spending money on old copper. Only way your area will get more services is when they place new fibre. It comes down to dollars and return for the money. As you say, you are at the far end on the road and probably not many customer for them to rush fibre. I would still keep asking or perhaps ask for the area field manager to come for a visit. 

ExCTandS
Friendly Neighbour

SO, Telus replaced my STB, and my modem.  I have noticed zero improvement on anything, but I now have 5g WIFI (NO not the cellular thingy).  I don't have any 5G devices, but when I do, I'm all set.

On the down side, the new STB/DVR does not have component or A / V outputs, only HDMI and optical (Audio).  This isn't a problem for my main TV, as it has HDMI input.  However the second TV does not have HDMI and requires A / V or component inputs.  Plus the second STB (without DVR) also drives the external sound system for that second TV.  Had Telus prevailed and replaced that second box, I would not have had a TV to watch or even the sound to listen to.  Fortuitously the Telus tech was very understanding and left that second box in place, and now all works well.  On my primary TV with the main new STB (with only HDMI) I take the audio out from the TV's jacks and send that to my external sound system.  Were it not for that feature, I'd be screwed.  AND not all new TV's have an audio output (I have one, TV number 3).

Not a fan of the new remote, they have moved the top numeric keys down to the bottom, and the motion keys (FF RW etc) to the top, it doesn't sit well in my hand, although it's easier to punch the numbers with my thumb.

SO, before TELUS leaves your premises, make sure EVERYTHING is working the way you want it, or ask them to reinstall the old equipment.