cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus Wifi Boost

PL
Advisor

So I installed two of the Telus wifi boosters that seem to work well, but they said I have to disable the 2.4Ghz network. It says that the it does dual band 2.4 and 5Ghz but I didn't bother having a 5Ghz guest network but I did have a 2.4Ghz guest network which I now cannot see. Does this mean that I lose the ability to have a 2.4Ghz guest network?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rc
Rockstar

You do not need to turn off wifi on the actiontec just ensure  that the ssid on the boost is different than that of the actiontec 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

rc
Rockstar

You do not need to turn off wifi on the actiontec just ensure  that the ssid on the boost is different than that of the actiontec 

Hi RC

Thanks but I'm a bit confused. I have the Actiontec T3200M and Optik TV. In the other question Telus Boost Wifi, you say it is recommended that you disable 2.4Ghz on the Actiontec and leave 5Ghz if you have Optik TV, is this still the case or is it still okay to have the 2.4Ghz wifi enabled on the Actiontec as long as the SSID is different from the Boost wifi units? You reference this link.

https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/troubleshoot-boost-wifi-actiontec-t3200m

Thanks

It is ok to have 2.4Ghz enabled on the actiontec, as long as it has a different SSID from the boost.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I kept the Actiontec SSID live specifically for the guest network. Keeps visitors, etc away from the content of my network.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Thanks Guys

You've been a big help.

Do you guys use Smart Steering? Does it work with the Telus Wifi Boosters? 

Also I did enable the 2.4GHz network and changed the name. So I now have 2 more SSID. One is the regular 2.4 GHz channel plus the guest one. Is there a way to only have the guest? Not a big deal if you can't. Also there aren't many advanced settings. Is the guest network defaulted to internet only? Any way to make the regular one do that? So I could just have the one SSID. Hope I make sense.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

If I recall, you can't disable the regular SSID and have only the Guest one.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

@PL wrote:

Thanks Guys

You've been a big help.

Do you guys use Smart Steering? Does it work with the Telus Wifi Boosters? 

Also I did enable the 2.4GHz network and changed the name. So I now have 2 more SSID. One is the regular 2.4 GHz channel plus the guest one. Is there a way to only have the guest? Not a big deal if you can't. Also there aren't many advanced settings. Is the guest network defaulted to internet only? Any way to make the regular one do that? So I could just have the one SSID. Hope I make sense.

I use smart steering..... basically the modem starts every device as 2.4ghz.  Over several hours, devices are tested to see if they accept the 5ghz frequencies over the same SSID.  There's some instabilities during evaluation period, but it stabilizes after a half day.