cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus PureFiber SFP?

anjesh
Just Moved In

I wondering if anyone has got their own SPF module and plugged it straight into their telus router or a ER-X (ubiquiti) I want to "bypass" Nokia ONT, and the Telus Router/Modem and plug it straight into my own router. 

13 REPLIES 13

primexx
Friendly Neighbour

Woah, if I read that correctly you can terminate the Fibre directy into SPF and plug it into an ER-4, skipping both the ONT and the "Modem"? Is that right?

In theory it will work but it's not a supported setup. Telus won't be able to help you troubleshoot if anything goes wrong as they can only support their provided equipment.

primexx
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks for your help! It looks like the router I want is out of stock for a while anyway. It looks like a conventional setup at the moment is to keep the ONT for fibre -> ethernet conversion then use my own equipment past that, as you described in the other thread so that Telus doesn't put up a brick wall for support, is this right?

I asked the tech that came to install about this and he claimed to know nothing about it, also asked support two times so far when i called for other issues and they dont know about it. Anyone able to suggest how to get more info from telus about this without waiting on hold?

Thanks

I'm not sure what your question is now. If the router you are looking at is out of stock then you'd be best to just use the standard Telus setup the way the technician installed it for now. After you get your new router you should be able to remove the T3200 modem from the equation and use your own router as long as it is fed from the ONT. The technician probably didn't know because they are only trained in the equipment and setups that are approved by Telus.

I was hoping to get a SFP to bypass the ONT. I am aware I can bypass the T3200 modem with a router. My understanding is some customers are able to get SFP's instead of the ONT.

Ah ok. The SFP module is currently only compatible with the newer billing system so it depends on which community you live in and if they have you on the old or the new build. There may be some restrictions for the SFP based on speeds still as well. When they first launched they couldn't be used for plans higher than 100mbps but I think that might have changed now.

Anyway to tell what billing system i would be on? i am a new telus fiber customer (been a telus mobility customer for a year now though, i think thats a seperate account though). Also my speed is currently 300 but was inititaly 150.

Thanks

Just a update, had a installer stop by today to install TV and phone and I asked him about it, apparently as mentioned before they are only doing it in select communities. So in my case they are not rolling them out in North Vancouver, hopefully when they do they will let me swap over.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Just remember, SFP won't allow you to have your phone on Fibre. It will need to be on copper.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Right I wasn't too worried about that. Does having your phone on fiber actually have benefits? I had asked to keep the phone in copper but the guy insisted he didn't have enough time for that.

With that said I don't think we will actually use the phone it's more there for my in-laws.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

In some locations, you can get cheaper telephone plans because the fibre-based phone service is not regulated by the CRTC pricing structure.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"