cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus Internet keeps disconnecting - Technicians can't find out...

Stevey
Helpful Neighbour

Hello,

I am using Internet 25 - 2 mbps and 300gb data.

I'm using it for just typical home use.

After 4 months of use, my internet keeps disconnecting.

It would typically disconnect every 30~45 minutes for about 15~20 seconds.

Even when it's connected, during bad days, I would get 8 mbps for an hour with ethernet connection.

Wifi is just... awful. I tried changing the channels as well - didn't help.

My TV and cable is perfect. It's ONLY internet.

I had three technicians come at different times, and all they do is either change the router or keeps testing the speed until it's good, then they leave.

None of those incompetent technicians were able to resolve this issue.

Can someone please help me?

41 REPLIES 41

Bunk
Just Moved In

You're not the only one with this issue. I'm in New West and mine keeps dropping on a regular basis. Its only a brief enough drop to notice when using remote desktop or playing an online game. Just enough of a drop to crash me out. This is occuring hardwired to the router.

We're in Surrey, experiencing the same thing. Further, often our 5G network is not available or takes a few minutes to become available and we connect to the 2.4G or the vanilla one. And when it drops, this thing with the 5G repeats. Also, internet is way slow compared to what we had in Vancouver where we had a cheaper, slower acct. We're on the 100, which recently got renamed 75 to 100. 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Since this discussion you posted in involves technicians, have you contacted technical support already for this issue, and what was the result?

Telus' internet plans are 75, and then 150 if available in your area. 100 was an old grandfathered plan they used to offer a long time ago. If your internet is actually slow, from a computer that is physically connected to the modem by an ethernet cable, run a speedtest and post the results. Slow speeds on wireless could be caused by any number of things so a speedtest from a physically connected computer gives a far more accurate result.

If you are using Telus, log in to your modem and under Wireless Settings make sure Smart Steering is disabled if it is switching between networks and dropping connections. 5GHz also has a much shorter physical range than the 2.4GHz band. The closer you are to your modem in that case, the better.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Sorry, maybe it's the 150 then. We've only been at this place 2 years so whatever the highest plan is, that's the one we have. We renewed in January so that's when I noticed it was renamed to 75, lol. 

WRT to wireless range, that was never an issue in Vancouver. I don't really want to have to wire my laptop or sit beside the router to have decent speed. Do you?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

So are you on a fiber optic connection? 150 is only available on fiber. DD-WRT? Which router are you using and which gateway do you have from Telus? How is your home network set up? Much more information is needed as you've provided extremely few details so far. Also, have you contacted technical support?

For the speed test, you only need to have the PC hardwired briefly. No one said you had to be next to the modem aside from the test. It's a very simple process and one tech support would have had you run if you called about slow speed issues. Hardwired is the only way to get an accurate test as there are many things that can and will impact wireless performance. Please run the speedtest and post the results. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Welp, your info is wrong, then. Unless you consider 2 years ago a long time ago. 99% sure it was 100--Telus was competing with Shaw's 150 plan, I believe, at the time.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I'm sorry to hear you don't want any assistance with your connection troubles. If you decide you would like help with your connection issues and still do not want to post any detailed information here, please contact technical support for assistance at 1-888-811-2323.

I'm sorry that you are obfuscating on behalf of Telus. You know the 75 plan was until quite recently called the 100 plan.

You work for Telus, correct? Will you fudge around the truth, then ignore this question like you did when I pointed out that the 75 to 100 plan was recently renamed? Please share your scripts and talking points with us.

I only came on here to say I had the same issue. I will try the login to the router thing. Thanks. TBH, I've already lost confidence in Telus. I don't want to wait at home again for a tech. We've been told (by a tech) that the number of networks in our area is causing interference and not much can be done. We have one of those extender units but it doesn't seem to help.

Have a great day!

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

No I do not work for Telus. The name of the plan is not the issue here as you had indicated you were having issues with your wireless. In order to properly troubleshoot any connection issues, you will need to provide specific information whether it be here, or when you call tech support. If you are running a third party router that has WRT on it, tech support will not be able to assist you with it but someone here may be able to.

The number of networks in an area could have an impact but there are ways to minimize that. I have on average between 25 and 50 wireless networks in range where I am and with proper router configuration, I rarely if ever notice a drop in speeds. I never have dropped connections at all from any wireless device.

If you do want help in resolving your issue, you can provide additional details here as there is likely someone here that has had the same issue and may know how to fix it.

Information required:

• Which modem do you have from Telus?
  • If you have your own router, which make and model is it?
  • Where is the modem/router located in the house?
  • Are there any environmental factors near the router, or between it and your devices, that can impact wireless performance? (electrical panel, router installed in basement, appliances, HVAC ducts, any really dense materials like metal or concrete)
  • Do you have any hardwired computers? If no, hardwire one temporarily and test the speed of the connection and post the results. This is to ensure the physical connection is fine and to give an indicator of the speed that in ideal conditions should be present on wireless.
  • Are all wireless devices affected or just some?
  • Do you have two separate networks set up? (One for 2.4GHz and one for 5GHz, separate SSIDs) Or, if using the Telus T3200M gateway do you have SmartSteering enabled and you just see one network only? (This will cause brief disconnects when it switches between 2.5 and 5GHz bands)

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Malcolm8wrote:

You know the 75 plan was until quite recently called the 100 plan.

No. Telus offers up to 75 Mbps on bonded copper VDSL, and speed is hugely limited by distance. Their initial Fibre offerings were 15/25/50/100 Mbps, but are now 25 - 1000 Mbps. While pricing may have changed confusing things, I can assure you that 75 Mbps is not the 'New' 100. 

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

In October 2017, my bills changed from reading "TELUS Internet 100" to TELUS Internet 75 to 100" in the charges area. All my bills said this until March 2018, my most recent one, which reads again "TELUS Internet 100." If that is not the name of the plan, what is it?

Stevey
Helpful Neighbour

So... it's been a year since I made this post.

I guess I can share what I experienced.

Right after starting this post, I called Telus again. Fortunately, this awesome Technician named Casey helped me.

Unlike the previous 3 absolutely incompetent technicians I talked to before, Casey was willing to spend the time and help me with this issue.

My internet was almost perfect - until now. 

For the past few days, my Wifi kept disconnecting once around 11:30PM and once in the morning (before 7:00AM). 

It turns out ethernet is just fine - it was my old laptop I purchased from NCIX that had internet card issue.

I am contacting Casey again and going to try to resolve this issue. 

It looks like the only way to resolve everyone's speed issue is to have a technician pay attention to the speed for about a week.

The homeowner also needs to pay attention and write down what time the speed lags.

Then the technician and the homeowner need to communicate with each other and technician can resolve the issue.

That's how I was able to attain a good speed for more than a year.

Hope that helps... 

Do you happen to know the source of the problem because I've been having the same issue

@Hellobrotherif your having issues with your internet schedule a service call. Most times issues are unique and requires a technician to diagnose/repair the issue.

Honestly, all the technicians I talked to came up with different reasons. Do I think any of them were true? No. One of the technicians didn't even let me talk. She just kept saying that my internet is fine and I shouldn't worry. I hope she got fired. I think the real reason is because Telus didn't upgrade their services in certain areas and I am stuck with using their old technology. The only solution is to have a good tech keep his eyes on the connection, and whenever it disconnects, he simply reconnects it. I still get disconnected from time to time, just less severe. I am moving next year, so hopefully that area is good...

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The tools on Telus' end can show the connection history over time, if the support people look. If it's a regular repeat issue and you had recently called in a few times, I believe they should have their network people look into it at that point.

Here are a few things to consider.  

Over provisioning of a service in an area where the service is basically the only alternative.  Too many people pushing the node beyond capacity will cause it to drop the connection.  Another possibility is noise on the line. 

There could be a source of noise flooding the line causing these disconnections.  This is why keeping track of the times it happens is important.  Telus should be able to see in their tools, if noise is an issue when your internet drops.  This is also common when road construction is in your area and jackhammers are used.  Noise can also be caused by multiple providers share the same service panels.  

Does this issue happen only when the weather is bad?  Moisture getting into the lines can cause this to happen as well because the copper corrodes.  Technicians are lazy and Telus is incredibly cheap so if this is your issue and your lines are underground.  It won't get fixed.  

Same problem in North Van. I thought it was a faulty laptop that I bought 5 months ago. Called the manufacturer and a technician suggested the problem must be with Telus after he was unable to fix the problem. I've rebooted the modem several times and Telus claims they have monitored it and it is working fine, and if I wanted the modem to be replaced, they would charge me for it.

Cyrianna
Just Moved In

I have the same problem. It's ridiculous! I've been a customer for years, and no problems until about a year or a year and a half ago. Now it disconnects several times during the day. This is ridiculous! I work from home, and every time it cuts out, I have to close down programs and re-open them. 

It's a waste of time. I am paying for the fastest internet. It would be great if you could just make it reliable too.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Cyrianna

A bit more info would help folks offer comment.

• Are you on Fibre or copper?
  • What happens if you simply reboot the modem when this happens, rather than closing programs on your computer?
  • Have you kept notes of date & time when these issues occur?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"