Telus Internet & Email features - bridge mode & ActiveSync

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Friendly Neighbour

I had a Telus representative show up at my door with an offer to switch my TV and Internet to Telus. He did not have a lot of technical knowledge so I am hopeful someone here can help as the offer to switch is a good one.

My questions:

1) New fibre network. I am told that fibre is available in my neighbourhood. Can I set the fiber modem/router in bridge mode so that I can use my own router and also to get a WAN address? I use a dynamic dns service which would be rendered useless with out this. Also, I have found that my own router provides superior performance and security over ISP provided routers.

2) Do Telus email servers support ActiveSync or other Microsoft Exchange services? I sync all of my contacts and calendars over multiple devices today. My understanding is the IMAP doesn't support that capability.

I would really like to switch to Telus but these are deal breakers for me if they are unavailable or if there isn't some kind of work around.

Thanks

Community Power User
Community Power User

Although you can connect your own router to Telus' ONT, or put the supplied Actiontec gateway in Bridge Mode, your router will need to be able to handle the multicast properties for the Optik TV segment.

Current Telus gateways have a Dynamic DNS option available to them (dyndns.com and no-ip.com).

There is an example of one user's set up here

There are also reports that you can put a switch at the ONT, and connect up to 2 routers, each of which will obtain an independent IP address. You can then connect your router to one port on the hub, and the Telus supplied on the other.

Telus email servers do not offer Exchange services or Active sync, but there is no reason you could not use other services to maintain contact and calendar syncing.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks for the reply NFtoBC. I appreciate the time you took for your comments but I don't think they fully answer my questions.

If I run the new Telus fiber network will I get a public IP address? I ran into this trouble with SaskTel when setting up my daughter's LAN in Saskatoon. How Saktel implemented fiber was like a giant LAN for your neighbourhood. Everyone got a private address starting with 172.x.x.x. The problem with that is it renders any dynamic dns service useless since it can not be reached publicly.  They also don't provide a bridge mode. So, I don't want to be caught in this same situation. Do you know if you get a public IP address with Telus fiber?

I am also not aware of a simple way to integrate contact and calendar syncing with an email client from different sources. Perhaps you have some suggestions. It seems bizarre in the extreme that Telus doesn't offer ActiveSync or some equivalent. I mean do customers of Telus on access emails from one device? I doubt it.

So, which brings me to another issue I have since found here. Suppose I want to run my own FTP server or email server (especially since Telus email is so limited) how would I do that without a public IP address and with Telus blocking server access (as I understand it). Seems odd to me but maybe I am misunderstanding something with how Telus is set up.

I like the Fiber from Telus but if it limits my access to the internet, what good is it?

Community Power User
Community Power User

I draw email from four or five different services, and calendars from at least three, and they are synchronized across OS X, iOS, Android and Windows 10 devices without difficulty. Calendars may be shared with specific individuals or groups.  If you want or need business level mail and calendaring services, possibly you should look into Telus business services, or another supplier such as Igloo or Zoho. Telus does not support the installation of servers on their residential packages, though you can on their business Internet.

As far as I know, Telus issues publicly accessible IP addresses, which will work with the two dynamic DNS suppliers I mentioned previously. Both are available as settings in the setup screens of the Telus provided gateway. 

NFtoBC
Friendly Neighbour

How do you sync all of this sources if you are using Telus as an email server? They simply do not support calendar and contact syncing. They would need an Exchange type server for that.

As for public IP addresses can you tell me if you are on Telus fibre?

Friendly Neighbour

NFtoBC'

"Telus does not support the installation of servers on their residential packages, though you can on their business Internet."

I have seen you and others make the statement here before. I checked the terms of service and I see no such restriction for personal use. They don't want you setting up a public email server but there is absolutely nothing in the terms of service that I can see that says you can't set up a server such as an FTP server for your own use.  Actually, they are quite vague on this. I guess this is a deal breaker for me. I buy a service that includes X amount of data for a month. Whether I use that data to watch Netflix or pass files around, why should that matter to Telus as long as I am not violating any laws? 1GB of movies or 1GB of spreadsheets sent to me on my FTP server. What's the difference?  Gamers use server services all the time. What's the big deal?

It seems that the Telus own terms of service are not being adhered to by Telus. This is a deal breaker for me. Why would I put up with being restricted like this? As they say: caveat emptor. I almost switched but glad I did the research.

Community Power User
Community Power User

@Railhound wrote:

How do you sync all of this sources if you are using Telus as an email server? They simply do not support calendar and contact syncing. They would need an Exchange type server for that.

Not through a single server, but through the services themselves.

As for public IP addresses can you tell me if you are on Telus fibre?

Yes.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Railhound

http://www.telus.com/en/ab/get-help/service-terms/ffh/internet-access-service-terms/support.do

13. You are not permitted to operate an e-mail, web, news or other similar server through a Services account, except where such use is expressly permitted under your service plan.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Friendly Neighbour

That says nothing about operating your own servers from your own personal use. Nor does it say you can't operate an "FTP server" or "similar" server. Is an "FTP server" or "gaming server" "similar" to a "news server"? A news or weather widget could be considers a "news server". (Better turn off AccuWeather or not?). Contractually, this clause means almost nothing because it is so vague and because, "server", "web", "news" and combinations of these terms are not defined terms and therefore are meaningless and wide open to interpretation. So, on that basis, really, you can do want you want.

It seems that several people here have been offering advice about contracts but have little understanding of contract structure let alone the legality of peoples actions.

If I pay for a service I should expect to be able to use that service without limitation except where I might be breaking the law. I would hope that someone from Telus would clarify the matter.

Friendly Neighbour

What services? Who is providing those services?

Most people will follow the email set up instructions given by their ISP to interface with their ISP's email server. If that server doesn't have an Exchange server (or the like) they will not be able to sync contacts or calendars. From what I have read, the most advanced interface to Telus' email server that is supported is IMAP. IMAP doesn't not support syncing calendars or contacts (nor does is support local email storage).

It sounds like you are using an email server other than Telus' email server. So, if you have a set up that you'd like to share I'd be interested.

As for my public IP address question, I had originally asked if Telus issued public ip addresses. You said as far as you know they did. You should definitively know that since you are on fibre. Do you have a public IP address or not?

Community Power User
Community Power User

@Railhound wrote:

What services? Who is providing those services?

Most people will follow the email set up instructions given by their ISP to interface with their ISP's email server. If that server doesn't have an Exchange server (or the like) they will not be able to sync contacts or calendars. From what I have read, the most advanced interface to Telus' email server that is supported is IMAP. IMAP doesn't not support syncing calendars or contacts (nor does is support local email storage).

It sounds like you are using an email server other than Telus' email server. So, if you have a set up that you'd like to share I'd be interested.

An Exchange server is really overkill for an individual. While it is a great tool for business and corporations who want to create shared calendars, contact lists, presence indication and messaging opportunities, there are other simpler options available for single users who want to simply synchronize mail, a calendar and contact list between a small number of devices. Some which come to mind include:

- a Google account

- a Yahoo account

- a MS Live account

- an iCloud account

If you need to use an Exchange server, they are available from service providers such as:

- hosting.ca

- Microsoft Live / Office 365

- GoDaddy.com

and likely many others.

As for my public IP address question, I had originally asked if Telus issued public ip addresses. You said as far as you know they did. You should definitively know that since you are on fibre. Do you have a public IP address or not?

I'm not sure why you would expect that simply because I have FTTH, I should definitely know if I have a public IP address. However, looking up any of a number of IP assessment tools, they report either an IPv4 or IPv6 address. As I stated earlier, the Telus gateway includes a tool to connect the gateway to two dynamic DNS services, which indicates they realize a need of some users to have such services.

Regarding the use of personal servers, there is a big difference between 'Telus does not support...' and 'Telus prohibits...'. There are many folks using security cameras, backup devices and cloud services, NAS with Internet access, thermostats, weather stations, and more, on Telus Internet. Telus does not prohibit their use, but also offers no support to trouble-shoot problems arising. Telus also blocks certain ports from use to prevent the creation of certain types of servers on their normal ports.

NFtoBC
Friendly Neighbour

NFtoBC,

I don't know if these email servers provide exchange services but it is a definite pain that you would have to set up an email account with these providers to get something that should be provided by Telus. (Not to mention they are unsecure but that's beside the point for this conversation). Exchange servers like ActiveSync are not over kill. If you have a home computer and a cell phone which I would suggest many average users do,  you can't keep them fully in sync with Telus email server using IMAP.

You should know if you have a public IP address by simply looking on your gateway device and checking the gateway IP address. Is it public or private?

Well it is one thing to say that servers are not supported and another to say they violate the terms of service. I get that Telus won't support my FTP server (they wouldn't do that either with a business account). I wouldn't expect them to. But, I would not also be violating the terms of service either by setting one up. If Telus is blocking ports for whatever reason, then it would be more appropriate to tell people to set up their servers on different ports rather than to imply or to explicitly say that setting up a server violates the terms of service.

All this to say, if you just have a computer or a cell phone or if you have both and you don't care if there are fully in sync Telus is ok for you. If you do want to keep your devices all in sync, you need another email provider.

If you run servers, maybe Telus will work and maybe not depending on the configuration abilities for ports that your server has.

Community Power User
Community Power User

@Railhound wrote:

You should know if you have a public IP address by simply looking on your gateway device and checking the gateway IP address. Is it public or private?

Yeah, not stated. The interface just presents an IP address.

All this to say, if you just have a computer or a cell phone or if you have both and you don't care if there are fully in sync Telus is ok for you. If you do want to keep your devices all in sync, you need another email provider.

Then Telus may not be the ISP for you.

NFtoBC