cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus Boost Wi-Fi

andsoitgoes
Organizer
Quick question, I can’t seem to set up the Wi-Fi boosters without having one hardwired into my router, I thought they were both setup via a hardwire connection and then could be moved wherever, is that not the case? Is there something I am missing?

Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rc
Rockstar

https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/telus-boost-wifi-quick-start-guide

According to the above the first boost should be a wired connection to the main telus router.  I think they probably meant to say must be a wired, ethernet connection 

Have not seen any references to being able to remove the ethernet connection  after initial setup.  Also don't expect it to be possible  based on my understanding of how  boost functions and that telus recommends that the wifi on the actiontec be turned off.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

rc
Rockstar

https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/telus-boost-wifi-quick-start-guide

According to the above the first boost should be a wired connection to the main telus router.  I think they probably meant to say must be a wired, ethernet connection 

Have not seen any references to being able to remove the ethernet connection  after initial setup.  Also don't expect it to be possible  based on my understanding of how  boost functions and that telus recommends that the wifi on the actiontec be turned off.

@rcwrote:

Also don't expect it to be possible  based on my understanding of how  boost functions and that telus recommends that the wifi on the actiontec be turned off.

How does "boost functions" work? The boost wi-fi seems to be limited to 144Mbps but certainly has a longer distance range in signal strength. Depending on the device, I can get 866Mbps on the 5Ghz band of the Actiontec. I'm not sure if I want to turn off 5Ghz yet unless there is some signal interference issue.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

My Actiontec Wi-Fi still connects the wireless TV devices in my home. The rest of my Wi-Fi network is connected to the Boost Wi-Fi SSID.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

To clarify my earlier post, should have said telus recommends disabling 2.4Ghz radio if you have optik TV and a actiontec t3200

https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/troubleshoot-boost-wifi-actiontec-t3200m

Hey NFtoBC - i see you all over these forms with epic wisdom you are clearly the guru.

1) I just got the boost network.  My question is why can I not just leave the WiFi network ON for the Actiontec 3200 and put SSID and password as the same name as boost network so I have 3 broadcasting (actiontec + boost starter kit (2))?  Shouldn't the network know when to move to each one within range?

2) In this thread it says you have to ethernet the first boost.  My thing is I WANT to ethernet ALL BOOST's that I have.  The second boost connected via WiFi during setup and told me NOT to connect ethernet during install.  My question:  If I connect the Ethernet to the SECOND BOOST after installed.... Is the boost smart enough to detect the Ethernet and create the Mesh Network as such rather than daisy chaining from original Mesh and causing the 50% lag?

3)  Have you heard any issues with AirPort Expresses DESTROYING the Actiontec 3200 configuration.  I was using Apple products with the Actiontec the last 4 weeks since getting Telus and it seems after trying to diagnose everything possible:  Everytime I went to connect the Airport Express (ANY configuration you could imagine... I tried Port 1 Bridging... No Bridge on Actiontec but bridge on Airport..... I even tried Airport Express just using as a "wifi device" so I can airplay music to it and disconnecting the wifi radio completely.) within a couple hours all the wifi devices would just start tripping... dropping IP constantly and having to restart actiontec every 3 hours.    I've read there was issues with Xbox's in the past and curious is Airport Express were a similar issue with this router. 

Thank you in advance for your wisdom. 

-- Kyle W

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@kylewils wrote:

Hey NFtoBC - i see you all over these forms with epic wisdom you are clearly the guru.

Not really, I'm just around more.

@kylewils wrote:

1) I just got the boost network.  My question is why can I not just leave the WiFi network ON for the Actiontec 3200 and put SSID and password as the same name as boost network so I have 3 broadcasting (actiontec + boost starter kit (2))?  Shouldn't the network know when to move to each one within range?

You could, but it would not address the issues of poor network connection between the T3200M Wi-Fi radio, and the rest of your network. The use of the Boost devices independent of the Actiontec corrects this problem.

2) In this thread it says you have to ethernet the first boost.  My thing is I WANT to ethernet ALL BOOST's that I have.  The second boost connected via WiFi during setup and told me NOT to connect ethernet during install.  My question:  If I connect the Ethernet to the SECOND BOOST after installed.... Is the boost smart enough to detect the Ethernet and create the Mesh Network as such rather than daisy chaining from original Mesh and causing the 50% lag? 

Yes, others have indicated you can ethernet connect each of the Boost devices.

3)  Have you heard any issues with AirPort Expresses DESTROYING the Actiontec 3200 configuration.  I was using Apple products with the Actiontec the last 4 weeks since getting Telus and it seems after trying to diagnose everything possible:  Everytime I went to connect the Airport Express (ANY configuration you could imagine... I tried Port 1 Bridging... No Bridge on Actiontec but bridge on Airport..... I even tried Airport Express just using as a "wifi device" so I can airplay music to it and disconnecting the wifi radio completely.) within a couple hours all the wifi devices would just start tripping... dropping IP constantly and having to restart actiontec every 3 hours.    I've read there was issues with Xbox's in the past and curious is Airport Express were a similar issue with this router. 

I have not heard of issues you describe, except this recent post.

Thank you in advance for your wisdom. 

-- Kyle W

You're welcome.

NFtoBC

So close, but not quite the clear answer I was hoping to see. If multiple boosts are connected on Ethernet will they actually backhaul over the Ethernet? Or will it just be an idle connection while they mesh wirelessly? I.e. “connected” does not necessarily mean “uses”.

In my case I have no interest in wireless repeaters/extenders, bridges, etc. as wireless solutions, just seamless WAP roaming across switched copper. Basically deciding on boost vs entry/mid-level Ubiquity or Cisco business/enterprise WAPs for twice the price.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Dougyyc

You could ask @PL who responded in this thread indicating his success with Ethernet connected Boost devices, or you could test yourself, and return them if they do not meet your needs.

NFtoBC

@Dougyyc I have mine connected by Ethernet and have had no issues. I set up while they were connected by Ethernet and everything is golden. The My Wifi app shows them communicating by Ethernet and signal strength is great. It also hasn’t affected my speed at all. 174 download and 173 upload on Fibre 150.

Excellent. Installer is coming by Monday (assuming it’s not another snow day) to upgrade to 300. Have 4 boosts waiting to install or return, so I’ll check out how the app shows things and maybe run a sniff to confirm assuming I can jury rig the right parts.

Hello, I'm a Telus tech.
Currently the T3200 doesn't support the Boost directly but with the upcoming firmware change or replacement modem you will be able to use the two pack as additional boosters but until then you have to hardware one.
If you have an ethernet run in your house you can place the first in a better location.

Hi Ian, I am a little confused, are you saying that one AP needs to be on Ethernet and the other one doesn’t need to be? As well, are there throughput limits as mentioned in an earlier post?

Thanks,

Mike

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Mcdred wrote:

Hi Ian, I am a little confused, are you saying that one AP needs to be on Ethernet and the other one doesn’t need to be? As well, are there throughput limits as mentioned in an earlier post?

Thanks,

Mike

Yes, currently one Boost device needs to be connected to your Telus gateway / router by an Ethernet cable. Any mesh network is likely to be slower than a single point network, as packets need to be forwarded from one device to another. The Boost device is faster than most internet sites to which you will connect.

NFtoBC

@IanTurner wrote:
Hello, I'm a Telus tech.
Currently the T3200 doesn't support the Boost directly but with the upcoming firmware change or replacement modem you will be able to use the two pack as additional boosters but until then you have to hardware one.
If you have an ethernet run in your house you can place the first in a better location.

Thanks,

Mike

Exhile
Ambassador

Looks like the “my wi-fi” app can now record data usage from the booster wi-fi. The app also shows the downstream and upstream speeds.

B4EBC614-3C3C-4F74-AAE3-C40C9DAD50E0.png

Scottie
Just Moved In

Realize this is a stale-dated reply but I purchased a Boost starter kit very recently and the sales person at the Telus store said exactly that: once the boost unit is setup via Ethernet it is then moved where you want it. Perhaps that’s where you heard it, and perhaps Telus may need to tweak some training there. Minor issue for me though - I’m fine having one connected to the LAN.