TV and internet losing signal for several hours, then spontaneously reconnecting...help!

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Resident

I've had Telus Optik TV and internet for a couple months (fibre optic), and for the last month, I have been experiencing episodes where the signal will go out for several hours (or even a couple days), and then spontaneously come back on. The last tech that came to take a look said that it was likely our baby monitor or network switch, or possibly our SONOS system causing the problem. Of course, the TV and Internet were connected and working fine by the time he came. Later that evening, we experienced another outage, so I unplugged anything in the house that could have been causing interference. 20 hours later, we still don't have TV or internet. The WAN light on the white box is coming in green (so it appears that the signal coming into the house is fine), but there is no light on the LAN 1 port (where the actiontec modem is plugged into). There is also no internet or WAN light on the actiontec modem. I've even tried a different ethernet cord, and that made no difference either. 

Anyone experience anything similar? I've unplugged the white box and the modem about a billion times, so it's safe to say that won't fix the problem :). 

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

If the LAN1 light isn't lighting up on the ONT I'd call Telus and get a tech out. You don't have a modem and the white box is what converts fiber to copper and it has a battery backup (don't touch). 

Just to make sure the Actiontec didn't crap out, try plugging in a laptop to the white box instead of the Actiontec. If it works then the Actiontec is likely the issue. If not, call for a tech either way. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Resident