cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T3200M Bridge mode and Wifi Boosters

PL
Advisor

Okay NFtoBC and all you brilliant minds!

Here's one for you seeing how you are so knowledgeable..

I have 150/150 coming into basement of 3 storied house into distribution panel. From there network cables to every room in the house. The old SHAW set up was coax to modem on the main floor, then use the network jack coming into that room to go back downstairs to the distribution panel to get distributed to the house. With the new setup the installer said I had to use all Ethernet ( of course after reading sounds like I could have used those moca adapters) Anyways, because I only have one run from from the distribution panel, if I ran the T3200M in bridge mode I could only see what was connected to my ASUS wifi router and nothing else. So I am relegated to using the T3200M as the main router and though I tried using the ASUS as an access point, I had issues where sometimes the wifi would stop working but wired it was fine. So I took the ASUS out of the equation but the signal was not strong enough. Sometimes only 2 bars from basement to next main floor. So I then put in two Telus wifi boosters. Now that works great, but I do miss the customization of a 3rd party router. So my question after that long explanation is, can I put the T3200M in bridge mode. Mount the ASUS or 3rd party router downstairs in the basement beside it and use still use the Telus wifi boosters? The boosters are connected by hard wire.

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Why not do some experimentation? Try it and see!

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Well that makes too much sense. Perhaps I should leave as is if I don't have an issue. Trying to fix something that isn't broken. LOL The story of my life.

Well I hope you try your proposed solution because I have wondered the same thing ... do the Telus extenders work when connected to "non-Telus" routers?  I use the T3200M for only OptikTV and my own router for everything else - and my own wireless access points connected to my router.  But I've often wondered if the Telus extenders would work with my own router ... and of course don't want to buy them just to satisfy my curiosity ...

Lol! I will try, but when nobody is home. Family gets pretty testy when there's no internet. Smiley Tongue

Exhile
Ambassador

@PL wrote:

Okay NFtoBC and all you brilliant minds!

So I took the ASUS out of the equation but the signal was not strong enough. Sometimes only 2 bars from basement to next main floor. So I then put in two Telus wifi boosters. Now that works great, but I do miss the customization of a 3rd party router. So my question after that long explanation is, can I put the T3200M in bridge mode. Mount the ASUS or 3rd party router downstairs in the basement beside it and use still use the Telus wifi boosters? The boosters are connected by hard wire.

Thanks

From my experience with the Telus Wi-Fi boosters, they provide a stronger signal strength than the T3200M. Were you able to get the Telus Wi-Fi boosters to work with the ASUS router if that was what you are trying to do? My guess is that the Telus Wi-Fi boosters cannot operate with a 3rd party router because the Telus W-Fi boosters receive their firmware and other network information through the T3200M.

So according to Telus support you are correct. They say it might, but may cause issues. So best not to.

TyRz
Just Moved In

So...

Although TELUS does not recommend doing this.. what if I felt compelled.. due to my ASUS router's security encryption... is there a way to make this work?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@TyRz wrote:

So... is there a way to make this work? 

Try it and report back. I'm sure there are a few folks who would like to learn of your experience.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Add me to the "interested to see how this turns out" list. I've been wanting to add a new router for reliability but I'm worried about it's compatibility with the Telus Boost Wifi.