cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T3200 modem and wifi extender issue

teloos
Organizer

I have T3200 modem and a wifi extender, all our devices are connected to the modem. I can see all our devices from the modem gui (192.168.1.254) under the home network while from the wifi extender gui, I see only one device (192.168.1.254), no unknown device under the network stations list. 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz associated clients will always display 0 but lately noticed that it always display 2 on 2.4Ghz associated clients, although I see one device only (192.168.1.254). Does anyone know why it is showing 2? Does it mean someone connecting to my network, hiding their ip address? I called technical support but they don't know why.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@teloos wrote:

Does it mean someone connecting to the wifi extender, hiding their ip address? Thanks.

They would still need your Wi-Fi password to connect. I wonder if some of your devices are not reporting a name to the network?

You could change your password, and add devices, one at a time, to see if you can discover the culprit!

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

giantbrownguy
Rockstar

I’m no expert, but it sounds like you’re seeing something wonky. 192.168.1.254 is the IP to enter the GUI for your modem. If you want to enter the GUI for the extenders, you need to look at the address it’s using in the modem GUI. When you say the devices are connected to the modem, is that on wifi or ethernet? If smartsterring is turned on, devices will be moved automatically between both. 

I mixed-up my first post, I will clarify a bit, all devices are connected to 5ghz T3200M modem, I see all devices from the modem gui (192.168.1.254). On WEB6000Q wifi extender gui (192.168.1.64), I see all devices too including device 192.168.1.254 and showing all devices as via ethernet on network stations list but only 1 tv is ethernet and the rest are wireless devices. Before wifi extender 2.4ghz and 5ghz associated clients display 0 which I think is correct because no devices are connected to the wifi extender and smartsteering is disabled. But lately wifi extender 2.4ghz associated clients would display 2. I tried reset/unplugged then become 0 but hours later it's back to 2 again. Any idea why showing 2? Does it mean someone connecting to the wifi extender, hiding their ip address? Thanks.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@teloos wrote:

Does it mean someone connecting to the wifi extender, hiding their ip address? Thanks.

They would still need your Wi-Fi password to connect. I wonder if some of your devices are not reporting a name to the network?

You could change your password, and add devices, one at a time, to see if you can discover the culprit!

NFtoBC

@NFtoBC wrote:

Thanks for responding. I tested and all our devices are reporting a name/ip add. Just curious, If someone know my wifi password, can they hide their device name/ip add and not listed on network stations? Can associated clients field show the number of invisible device connected? 

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Your router assigns the IP address, so it would be impossible for the other device to hide it.

NFtoBC

@NFtoBC wrote:

Your router assigns the IP address, so it would be impossible for the other device to hide it.

I heard that one can access other network by hiding your identity using socks5 and vpn although I'm not familiar with these. Hope you don't mind, I have another question. If someone is accessing my wifi using socks5 or vpn, will the router assigns ip address and show device name on network stations list? Thanks.

Typically a VPN is only disguising the location from where you're accessing the internet from, but doesn't provide a port into your network, unless someone is maliciously entering. I'd imagine the only other way around that would be if you were access the same VPN and the malicious party gained access through a flaw in the VPN.

Regardless of if someone is using a VPN in your area and connected to your wifi, a device will show up with an IP address on your network. When you look at the IP addresses in the modem GUI, those are all assigned by your modem (internal IPs) for the devices to be distinguished on your network. If you looked up the external IP address, it would be different.

If you are really concerned about someone accessing your network, you should factory reset your modem and extender and rebuild your network (that's using the pin hole reset on the back of the routers). The only way someone would be persistently able to remain after that, is if your router had malicious software (some sort of virus) installed that persisted after your reset.

As @NFtoBC said, your router assigns the IP, so unless they had really deep access to your hardware (like beyond what you can see in the GUI) or had some kind of virus installed (not that there is necessarily one out there) there would be no way to disguise their device from your router.

Likely there's some kind of ghosting because of how your devices are connected. I know with my Telus Boost routers, after I moved some hardware, there showed a ton of devices labelled "NULL". I performed a full reset and they disappeared. You may also want to try disabling the 2.4 Ghz network and seeing if that changes anything.

@giantbrownguy wrote:

Regardless of if someone is using a VPN in your area and connected to your wifi, a device will show up with an IP address on your network. When you look at the IP addresses in the modem GUI, those are all assigned by your modem (internal IPs) for the devices to be distinguished on your network. If you looked up the external IP address, it would be different.

As @NFtoBC said, your router assigns the IP, so unless they had really deep access to your hardware (like beyond what you can see in the GUI) or had some kind of virus installed (not that there is necessarily one out there) there would be no way to disguise their device from your router.

What about socks5? Will router assigns ip add different from internal ip as well? Thanks.

I am not an expert but from I understand it would have to. Regardless of how a device is connected, once it connects to a router it becomes visible to the router. SOCKS5 is a protocol for communication and is less secure than a VPN, as per the article below:

“Both VPN and a SOCKS5 proxy can hide your IP address. However, unlike VPN, a proxy server does not offer encrypt your traffic. This is the main reason why SOCKS5 proxies are consider faster than VPN.”

Source: https://thevpn.guru/socks5-proxy-vs-vpn-difference/

From reading that and other information, VPN vs. SOCKS, you’re talking about two kinds of apples. They serve the same purpose and operate similarly but they communicate with networks differently. That should not impact how they operate when they interact with your router. VPNs are used to disguise a public IP address. If you used a VPN, your external IP would be different but you would still see devices as normal in your router GUI.