T3200 gateway gives better speeds than own router

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

mtn
Advisor

I have an Archer C50 router connected to port 1 of T3200 with bridging. My speeds both wired and wifi thru Archer are 10-15Mbs higher than when I connect Archer directly to ONT. In other words my speeds are faster when adding the extra hop thru the T3200! Anybody have any ideas why this would happen?

Accepted Solutions
Most Helpful
rc
Leader

One explanation could be that the T3200 has faster ethernet ports, processors, more memory and optimize for high speed Internet connections.  So when the archer is connected to the T3200 it sees a  lower latency connection to the Internet that when directly connected to the ONT.

The increased latency, when connected directly  to the ONT,  results in less throughput

View solution in original post

All Replies
Most Helpful
rc
Leader

One explanation could be that the T3200 has faster ethernet ports, processors, more memory and optimize for high speed Internet connections.  So when the archer is connected to the T3200 it sees a  lower latency connection to the Internet that when directly connected to the ONT.

The increased latency, when connected directly  to the ONT,  results in less throughput

View solution in original post

mtn
Advisor
Thank you... I didn't measure the latency... The Archer was very inexpensive
Michael

JTL
Advocate

I'd need to see some speed and other tests (latency) before I can make any judgment of why this might be happening.

As for myself using a custom pfSense build for the latter:

Laptop->Switch->ONT

Laptop-Switch->Router->Switch-ONT (traffic shaping by router)