T2200H Static Routes?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

dredd0606
Friendly Neighbour

Can anyone confirm that the T2200H is capable of static routes?  I have a tech coming next week to replace my modem and although I've spoken with 4 technical support reps, none of them can 100% confirm that the T2200H is not firmware restricted to prevent me from setting static routes.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You can manage static IP for devices on your LAN, but not on the WAN side.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
dredd0606
Friendly Neighbour

Nope, I don't care about static IPs.  I asked specifically about static routes, which are very, very different.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Last I heard the Actiontecs are still fairly locked down and I wouldn't be surprised if it was not possible. The support reps won't support any advanced features and have no idea what peering or static routes are.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
dredd0606
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks Nighthawk, that's not good.  What about bridging on port 1?  Is that available yet?  

The reason TELUS wants to upgrade my modem is to upgrade my account from Internet 50 to Internet 100...apparently my Alcatel doesn't support 100mbps.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes, bridging port 1 on the 2200 is definitely there. Just have to log in to the modem and enable it. Yes, the ALU won't do 100mbps, especially if they need to use 2 phone lines to give you 100mbps. I have that exact same setup though for 25mbps. ALU gone, 2200 replaced it.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
dredd0606
Friendly Neighbour

So, T2200H was installed today.  Tried using it for everything for a bit (wireless, optik, wired).  I gotta say, as a router, this thing SUCKS!  It has been so neutered by the TELUS firmware, not to mention it is severely lacking in any sort of new wireless technology (5.8Ghz, 3x3 MIMO, AC) that it is almost completely worthless as a gateway.  Its a good thing TELUS enabled Port 1 Bridging, or I would be having serious problems.

For example, I live in a 1800 sq ft house.  My T2200H is in the basement, right beside my Netgear R7000. I had my R7000 off and the T2200H in full router mode. Upstairs in my sons room, I was getting 1.2Mbps down and 0.85Mbps up using his iPad Air.  This is on TELUS 50/10 (TELUS hasn't upgraded the service to Internet 100 yet).  I put the router in Port 1 Bridging, turned off the useless wifi on the T2200H, and turned on my R7000, tested from the same location with the same device, and got full 50Mbps down and 10 Mbps up (actual figures were 55.02 Mbps down and 11.13 Mbps up).  Before you ask, yes, that was connected to my R7000 2.4Ghz network.

mtn
Advisor

I, too, am frustrated by the lack of option for a static route on the T2200. Though I can't be sure whether my previous 1200 had that ability after a firmware upgrade or not. 

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
Put it in bridge mode and use any router of your choice. Dlink firmware has made them idiot proof and no advanced user options. I use TP-Link and can do anything I want.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
mtn
Advisor

Yes...that's what I intend to do, but added wrinkle is that the Optik box is on the same node as the Roku that I want to set up static route for.  I have read somewhere else on the forum that you can use the coax to link to Optik box. I'll try that rather than run new cat5.

Thanks.

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
Roku doesn't really need a static route. Let the T2200 handle the optik tv. Disable the radios, pull off the antennas. Bridge to your own router the handle the rest of your network along with whatever DNS etc. Hard wired or wifi on a Roku doesn't make much difference speed wise, especially if using he 5ghz band.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
mtn
Advisor
Oh OK, thanks for the info re connection speed for Roku. Reason I had a
static route was to avoid the Netflix hard wired DNS in the Roku software.
I will rethink my network topography, possibly using wifi for my two Roku's
as you suggest.
Foonus
Ambassador

This isn't an advertisement, as I am trying to direct you to this setup because if you want a full featured routing setup its well worth looking at:

pfSense

Trust me  just bridge port 1 and don't look back.

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
Not needed for what he needs.