T1200h to WCB3000N wifi extender over coax?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Resident

I have the T1200h and the WCB3000N wifi extender. I would like to put the extender in a room that only has coax. Do I still need another device to utilize the coax to connect the two? I see the extender uses MoCA and the T1200h uses HPNA? Help/clarity appreciated

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

MoCA is not compatible with HPNA. Shaw's boxes use MoCA. You'd need to go buy an HPNA > Ethernet converter somewhere and they are not always easy to get. You could try talking to Telus but I haven't seen them offer one of those in a long time.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour

I don't understand why ActionTEC puts HPNA on their dsl modems when nothing else (including their own equipment) seems to supports it.

I think you have two choices:

- run an ethernet cable from your T1200h to the WCB3000N 

- use an ECB2500C MoCA network adapter to connect to existing coax in your place and then connect the WCB3000N to coax.

I'm considering trying this myself since running ethernet to another another location isn't possible but I do have coax available. I was hoping someone on this forum had tried this already but it doesn't appear so. 

If you have solved your problem could you let the forum know what you did?

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

The Optik STBs support HPNA. That's the reason it's on the modem. Allows users to connect the TVs in rooms with coax but not ethernet.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂