T1200H Causing Issues When Hardwired to Computer

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour

So about 2 yrs ago I went with Telus optik when i hooked computer up via ethernet cable it played havoc with some web pages like facebook not loading properly or the windows store not opening properly.  All my wifi devices had no issues so put in wireless adapter and boom no problems.  Bought new comp back in december 2016 and due to location went with wireless adapter and no issues.  Couple weeks ago i had a problem where the computer couldn't connect to the network just out of the blue, it recognized the network but couldn't access it no matter what.  All my other wireless devices had no issues.  So I figured i would run cable from router to it and see how that does and wouldn't you know it the same **bleep** problem as with my old computer issues trying to load FB and other websites.  Is this a problem with the TH1200H or the router?  I am at a loss for words had 2 techs out in January 2016 when problem first started with old system and couldn't figure it out they replaced the router and no change.

Any suggestions / advice information would be appreciated.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

I've never encountered that issue when using a T1200. If they've already replaced the modem with another, it'd be extremely unlikely to see two with the same issue, though not impossible. Same if you've replaced the computer as well. Have you tried another network cable? Do any of your other devices have an ethernet port? If yes, do they see the same issue as the PC when hardwired? 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Ambassador

Are you using the same ethernet cable in both cases?  Could be a wiring problem such as a crossover cable rather than the normal straight through cable ... or if it is a hardwired cable it could be terminated incorrectly on one end.

Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour
Different cable this time as i thought that as well but also rulled that out when it first occurred. I had shaw prior to telus and immediately swutchung to the optik is when the issue started.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour
Yes have tried different network cables on three different machines. I honestly don't know if it is the T1200H or if it is the telus router. Wireless connections are fine but minute i hardwire in then issues. Have been thinkimg of bridging Port 1 to my original router when i had no issues and see what happens.

Appreciate all your suggestions and open to more. I have been beating my head agaist the wall with this.

Is it possible that the router ports are only 10/100? Could that cause issues?

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

No. The T1200 ports are gigabit and will work with any network card on a computer whether 10/100/1000. The T1200 is the router as well. Do you have another device connected to the T1200 currently? You also should not need to bridge port 1 when connecting your own router. I never did and never had any issues.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour
Okay that is what i thought about the modem/router that it shouldn't change at all.

Interesting i have been readimg and everyone says you have to go into advance settings and turn on Bridge Port 1 to connect a different router.

I am just trying to do a process of elimimation, i might just try my old router and see how the network cable to comp works. If no issues then it has to be router/modem.

Love technology...when it works

-------- Original message --------
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

It would be interesting to see another laptop or desktop plugged into a Cat5 and replicate the issue.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour

I have two different towers hooked up and both same issues switched my older tower back to the wireless for it to work and also tried an old laptop of mine and same problems.  Tomorrow night i am going to bridge it and hook up my old router and see if that helps and if it does then i know it is the Telsu router.  Believe me I am at my wits end with this 🙂

Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour

So here is an update today I set up a bridge from the T1200H to my older E2500 router.  I turned off the wireless network on the 1200 as others have done and enabled "bridge Port 1" option.  Connected my tower to the E2500 and everything seemed to be running fine for awhile then all of a sudden i lost wireless internet and then the wired connection went down.  Looked at my phone and shows the network is still recognized but "no internet".  So i rebooted the 2500 and was working just fine then short time later same thing happens.  So I disable the wireless on the E2500 leave it strictly as wired and turn wireless back on the 1200H low a behold maybe 15-20 mins later same thing lose internet connection.  So i ended up disconnecting my E2500 removing the bridge Port 1 option from the 1200H and back to how it was before i started this gong show.

Now to me loosing connection to the internet is so many different configurations i come back to a common denominator is the Telus modem/router.  Am i missing something now i am really confused on what is going on with this network.  I may try just bypassing the 1200H entirely to just run the internet and see how stable it is.

Any thoughts? 

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Bridging port 1should give you an entirely separate IP address, so something else is on the go with your connection.  Try speaking to a Tech at Telus, and ask about the port your line is connected to, based on your recent discoveries. It is possible the issue is at the exchange.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour

Appreciate the info I will give them a call tomorrow when i get a chance.  Just needed someone else to basically confirm what i was thinking myself.