Switch Actiontec V1000H to 5Ghz

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Chomp
Resident
We live in townhouses, so there is lots of interference from neighbors' WiFi. I've had some luck manually switching to other channels, but sometimes the WiFi is very slow. I want to use a channel in the 5Ghz range. The Actiontec V1000H is 802.11n, so it should be capable of 5Ghz channels in addition to 2.4Ghz. I've tried Compatibility Mode and Performance mode in modem settings, but haven't been able to pick any 5Ghz channels. Is there something in modem wireless settings that I'm missing? Thanks
NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

There is a manual for the unmodified Actiontec Router here, and info on the modified Telus version here. It may help to set the gateway to 802.11n only and the bandwidth to 40, and see what happens.

Another option is to purchase a higher quality router, and use its more complete wireless setup in your instance.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
HomerunHallock
Friendly Neighbour

I am a Telus Tech and as far as I know this isn't possible.  As the other poster mentioned, I like to change the

modem's wifi compatibility mode to N, which is considered "performance" mode.

In my experience, the most useful setting to change in the wireless channel, if you haven't already, download an app for your smartphone called Wifi Overview, but there are many Wifi Analyzer apps.  The apps will have a screen that tell's you the optimal channel(s) to change your modem to.  Generally I go with 3/4/8 or 9 because they usually overlap the least amount of networks, which are usually on 1/6/11 by default.

Good luck!

Chomp
Resident
Hmm, if you go with channels 3/4/8, aren't you the neighborhood pest? You're overlapping with multiple main channels (1/6/11), so you are interfering with more neighbors, and you are also receiving more interference yourself.