cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden fluctuation in Latency

sschinners
Neighbour

Anyone else experiencing sudden fluctuations in latency...

I have had no real issues for years now as of yesterday when i am playing Battlefiled 1 or Star Wars Battlefront on PS4 the network icon appears occasionally indicating drop in latency.

I disconnected any unused items off my network just in case i oversaturated it with devices. I restarted the modem and still getting the same issues

as of right now 1245pm PST when i check my network connection on the PS4 is says

Connection Speed Download 164.3 MBPS

Upload 85.2 MBPS

waited 2 mins later and it now says

Connection Speed Download 36.1 MBPS

Upload 90.1 MBPS

so it appears the dramatic fluctuation is the DL speed and not the upload speed

anyone else having this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

PSN is known for having connection speed fluctuations for years. That's rather different from latency. Is your PS4 connected via wireless or ethernet? Wireless can easily have swings in latency. Also depending on where the server you are connecting to is located, that can also impact latency.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

PSN is known for having connection speed fluctuations for years. That's rather different from latency. Is your PS4 connected via wireless or ethernet? Wireless can easily have swings in latency. Also depending on where the server you are connecting to is located, that can also impact latency.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

thanks for the prompt reply ...

its connected VIA LAN not wireless ... I know PSN has had its issues but i just found it funny how after over a year all of a sudden this started yesterday ...

Ill also look on their forums and see if there are issues there...

QUICK BACKGROUND: I live in a town called Sooke and we just got fibre optic not too long ago ...so the fibre optic here is fairly new as well

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@sschinners wrote:

QUICK BACKGROUND: I live in a town called Sooke and we just got fibre optic not too long ago ...so the fibre optic here is fairly new as well

Nice speed increase, isn't it!

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

thanks your reply reminded me to look up on PSN forums and it appears its the 4.50 update causing the latency issues as others are experiencing it