Sporadic signal drops on telus connection in rural area?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Resident

So I've been having a problem in the last month where a dsl line from Telus that had been working more or less fine for the last 2 years started randomly dropping the connection every now and then, with no apparent pattern.  Because it keeps dropping this way, apparently, the telus equipment keeps automatically dropping my connection profile to a lower speed, so that most of the time I end up with a measly 1 to 2 mbit connection rate out of the 6 mbit I have been paying for.. Ugh.

Well, I live in a rural area, on Denman Island, and the techs see a clear line when they do an analysis, even though I am somewhat on the edge of the max distance to the telco hub.  Clearly if it has been working fine and has stopped working something has degraded on their end, and I am assuming the onus is on them to fix their lines.

Lately I have been having this vague notion based off of something I recall hearing back when I worked tech support myself.. Could it possibly be something as strange as birds landing on a telephone line somewhere along the road causing it to become unhinged in some way and dropping the signal?

I am hesitant to make too much of a fuss about it though, after many attempts to get them to resolve this.. Because a few years back the telus tech guy blatantly threatened us with disconnecting our service if we dared complain to much or gave him bad reviews.

I wouldn't even be using Telus if it weren't for the fact that they are a monopoly here in my area.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Seb1  Telus is within their range of providing "Up To 6 MBps" download and 1 MBps upload service for the grandfathered Internet 6 plan. There can be many factors causing line degradation, moisture, old Telus equipment, wiring within your home etc. Make sure your modem is in a breathable area (not to overheat) and not dusty. You maybe able to request a modem swap to see if it helps your issue.

Being on the max (borderline edge) for service not much can be done. Denman Island in need of a infrastructure overhaul but population wise not sure that will happen. Users to recoup costs are minimal.

A moisture problem or equipment starting to falter can sometimes be hard to diagnose. If the tech was persistent he may be able to locate the issue. If no other complaints have been reported it can eliminate most factors.

You may inquire about Telus Smart hub to see if it's available to you. It would be a 50 times improvement over your current speeds.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Seb1  Telus is within their range of providing "Up To 6 MBps" download and 1 MBps upload service for the grandfathered Internet 6 plan. There can be many factors causing line degradation, moisture, old Telus equipment, wiring within your home etc. Make sure your modem is in a breathable area (not to overheat) and not dusty. You maybe able to request a modem swap to see if it helps your issue.

Being on the max (borderline edge) for service not much can be done. Denman Island in need of a infrastructure overhaul but population wise not sure that will happen. Users to recoup costs are minimal.

A moisture problem or equipment starting to falter can sometimes be hard to diagnose. If the tech was persistent he may be able to locate the issue. If no other complaints have been reported it can eliminate most factors.

You may inquire about Telus Smart hub to see if it's available to you. It would be a 50 times improvement over your current speeds.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Resident

The techs already established that it is not home equipment, it is the line from here to the telus box down the road.  Anyway the signals test very good and the full 6mbits works fine, except for the random disconnects that started happening last month, which are what is tricking the telus gear to drop my profile down to even lower than Telus 6 in an attempt to stabilize.  The speed is not an issue except in that the equipment is unsuccessfully trying to automatically troubleshoot the disconnects.  Clearly the disconnects are the issue, not the speed (as it wouldnt drop like that if not for the disconnects, right).  So, the service line rates are fine, in fact very good.  But whatever it is that started causing disconnects needs to be repaired.

My opinion is that if Telus dares to sell a service and charge full price for it monthly, and that service has worked fine for 2 years before breaking down, telus should be required to repair their faulty lines.

As for any other Telus service, they only offer the internet 6 dsl here.  As for potential customers, there are a few hundred households at least worth of potential customers that telus doesnt even reach yet.. that is a fairly decent financial potential there.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Your original question you never stated the tech diagnosed a line issue from your home to the "box". The tech should be able to diagnose the issue if he spends the time to monitor the line. (this can take 4+ hours at times or longer if an intermittent equipment issue) Request a higher level tech come out, but they're generally in high demand and can take a few weeks to schedule something. It's their job to find the fault and repair it and won't just leave it as it is.

I had a similar issue that eventually led back to a faulty piece of Telus equipment. It took a few weeks to properly diagnose and would only happen when their was moisture or higher humidity. Although i had two bonded lines for service.. The tech should be able to look at the logs on the modem and put two and two together..

Telus won't charge you a repair fee as long as the issue is Not in your home. Smart Hub is a new service that works off Cellular it's not DSL.

Community Power User
Community Power User

@Seb1 wrote:

Lately I have been having this vague notion based off of something I recall hearing back when I worked tech support myself.. Could it possibly be something as strange as birds landing on a telephone line somewhere along the road causing it to become unhinged in some way and dropping the signal? 

My guess would be moisture in the lines, rather than birds. Keep a record of the frequency you are seeing a problem occur to help the tech complete a diagnosis.

@Seb1 wrote:

I am hesitant to make too much of a fuss about it though, after many attempts to get them to resolve this.. Because a few years back the telus tech guy blatantly threatened us with disconnecting our service if we dared complain to much or gave him bad reviews.

This does not match Telus' customer service goals. If you remain polite, and provide details supporting your claim, every tech I have ever dealt with has wanted to get to the bottom of the issue. It may take multiple attempts to find an intermittent problem, but they are usually pretty good about finding and fixing problems.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"