cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Splitters and moca adapters and switches

goman
Neighbour

I have pure fiber and it's all working great. I want to add a wired ethernet port for my laptop right beside my TV. Currently the signal is distributed via coax throughout the house with moca (coax to ethernet) adapters. I was told by the installer that the signal from the router has to go directly into the PVR box, which in this case it does that currently via moca. So to add the extra ethernet port I assume I must use a splitter at the wall coax and add another moca adapter for the new ethernet port. Is this true or can I just use a switch at the output of the current moca adapter and feed the PVR and laptop from that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

In the old days of HPNA there were cases where some people just plugged an ethernet cable into the PVR which was using HPNA (coax) to get connectivity. With MoCA and the newer hardware it may be possible but I've never tried since I've got ethernet everywhere.

MoCA adapters are not cheap devices. If you were really determined to go down that path, get an ethernet switch instead. Far cheaper and likely fewer headaches. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

In the old days of HPNA there were cases where some people just plugged an ethernet cable into the PVR which was using HPNA (coax) to get connectivity. With MoCA and the newer hardware it may be possible but I've never tried since I've got ethernet everywhere.

MoCA adapters are not cheap devices. If you were really determined to go down that path, get an ethernet switch instead. Far cheaper and likely fewer headaches. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

The installer gave me three moca adapters when the system went in, one for the main PVR and one for my other room with a pvr and computer. I am using a splitter in that room to split between the pvr and the computer. That's why I asked my question. Do I really need a splitter to give the pvr's a direct connection to the router? He said something about when the pvr's update themselves it won't work properly if the pvr's are connected via a switch. Maybe I should just try it anyway and see what happens.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Not sure about PVRs on MoCA but my PVR is on an ethernet switch, direct from the modem, with 3 other devices. No problems updating or operating at all.

OK, thanks for the info. Are all switches created equal? Which brand would you recommend?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Currently I have a Netgear 5 port ethernet switch. Memory Express has them for like $25. If you watch, they do drop them down to $15 every now and then.