cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed drops when Apple TV connected to network

campau79
Connector

Hi,
I have Internet 50 at home and am getting some speed drops when my Apple TVs are connected to the network. The speed will drop even when there aren't any ATVs in use. If I unplug the power cords of every ATV, and do a speed test using a wired connection to my iMac, I get speeds of 45mbps(ish). If I plug back in the ATVs (again no streaming, device even asleep) do another wired speed test, my speeds will drop to be between 20-35 mbps. I also not too long ago had issues with my wireless Optik TV boxes losing signal if I streamed my personal iTunes content from my Mac to an Apple TV (via Home Sharing) while using connection to the 5G network. I set up the Mac and the ATVs to be on the 2.4G network, and this helped with the Optik TV drops. I try to avoid using any device on the 5G network now really. Anyway, this seems really strange to me and I never had these kinds of problems when I was with Shaw. Does anyone have any kind of ideas on how to fix this? When I go through Telus, I feel like I have to present the solution or the exact problem them to them in order for the right thing to be done. They seem to provide stationary responses that don't really tackle the problem.

12 REPLIES 12

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I have not noticed a similar speed drop with my ATV devices connected (or not), so can't really offer anything useful there. However it seems that for some reason, your ATV are consuming or partitioning bandwidth on your home network, preventing your iMac from accessing the full bandwidth available.

If the speed through your gateway is 45 Mbps when only 1 computer is connected, then Telus really has nothing to troubleshoot - what happens beyond the gateway on your home network is beyond their ability to manage.  

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Ok, I can understand that, but what I find really odd is that when I was with shaw, these kind of problems didn't exist, but I had the ATVs then too. I also forgot to mention, that if I log in to 192.168.1.254, periodically I will notice that either my wifiplus or cisco_ap (sometimes both) show as disconnected under connected devices.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Which access point are the ATVs connected to? The Actiontec or your own router?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

I have three ATVs connected to the 2.4G network which was configured by Telus with their own Wifi Plus (WEB6000Q Wi-Fi Extender). I use to have them connected to the 5G network, but when I would stream movies from my iTunes collection to my ATVs (via Home Sharing), it would cause my wireless Optik TV boxes to lose signal (boy what a headache that was to figure out). If I used Netflix or NHL etc on the 5G network however, there seemed to be no issues with the ATV/Wireless Optik.

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

How is your actual network configured? Starting with the telus modem/router then what, to what to what etc. This for sure is a networking issue with your setup in your house.

Not sure I completely understand your question but I'll try to answer it. I have an Actiontec modem which has a wifi extender (Telus' own WEB6000Q Wi-Fi Extender) and the Cisco Access Point (for wireless Optik TV). My ATVs are connected on wifi to the 2.5G network of Telus' wifi extender. I use to connect to the 5G network, but that caused issues with my Optik TV. I have one Telus Optik box that is a wired connection to the Actiontec.

BobTELUStech
Coach

As others have mentioned, so many questions here. With your previous Shaw service did you have a "dry" DOCSIS modem and your own router? If so, was your router secured? Currently do you have a router-behind-router setup? That is never a good setup to have.

Our gateways have encryption and firewalls by default. Both to protect you and to protect our network from trash and viruses back-feeding into the network.

In firewalled / walled garden environments Apple devices are notorious for not playing well with others.

As others have noted there is nothing TELUS can do to support your in-home networking after our gateway. We may offer guidance on port forwarding and DMZ tunnels etc but any subsequent unpleasantness that may occur is at your own risk. 

I did have have my Shaw modem bridged and use of my own router. With Telus, I am using only their own equipment that they have provided me with. Actiontec modem, Wifi extender (WEB6000Q Wi-Fi Extender), and cisco access point (wireless optik tv).

campau79
Connector

sorry for the number of posts, but I replied to each users questions one by one. none connected.png

cisco connected.png

for the two screenshots above, I just wanted to show an example that my cisco access point and wifi plus seem to indicate that they are connected and "inactive" periodically. I don't know if that is normal or not. However I feel like my wifi tends to lag when its indicated that wifi plus is inactive.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
Yes, it is normal for those devices to show as inactive when not in use.
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"