cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Steering

PL
Advisor

Okay Guys

You're a wealth of knowledge so I'm asking again. I have 2 Wifi boosters running and I have the 2.4GHz Wifi on the Actiontec T3200M running with a different SSID so I can have a guest network. If I was to enable Smart Steering it says If SmartSteering is enabled the T3200M will configure the same wireless network name and passphrase on both 2.4 and 5 GHz wireless radios. Does this mean I will lose my Guest network?

Thanks

Phil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Your guest network will remain active, even if Smart Steering is on.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

It basically merges the 2.4 and 5GHz networks into one. You end up with one SSID for it. A number of us have turned it off. For me it was because I have a device or two that won't work on 5GHz.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Your guest network will remain active, even if Smart Steering is on.

NFtoBC

So does that cause an issue because the SSID of the Wifi Boosters are the same T3200M?

Originally I had

T3200M Wifi enabled on only 5G because I had the Wifi Boosters and it was recommended that you disable the 2.4G on the T3200M

Then I was told I could have the 2.4G enabled as long as the SSID was different from the Wifi Boosters which was great because I got my guest network back. 

If I enable the Smart Steering then the SSID for 2.4 and 5G are the both on and the SSID of the 2.4 is the same as the Wifi Boosters.

Thanks for your help

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@PL wrote:

If I enable the Smart Steering then the SSID for 2.4 and 5G are the both on and the SSID of the 2.4 is the same as the Wifi Boosters.

Thanks for your help

Simply have a different SSID for the Boosters. I left the T3200M as it came from Telus. I named my Booster mesh network with a different SSID. Works perfectly for me.

All my  TV connections access the original SSID on the T3200M or are connected by Ethernet, everything else  on my network is connected to the T3200M by Ethernet, or through the Boost Wi-Fi devices on a different SSID.

NFtoBC

Well that makes sense.

For some reason I couldn't make it out in my mind. Thanks again.

I kept thinking I had to have the T3200M SSID the same as the Wifi Boosters which of course you don't.

Okay one last question on this subject

Does Smart Steering still work even though you are connected to the Wifi Boosters? I only say that because I am enabling it on the T3200M with different SSID's. Does the Smart Steering get pushed onto the Wifi Boosters as well?

Thanks

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

According to the info on the Boost Wi-Fi page, eIther SmartSteering, or a similar means to connect by either band is present on the devices.

NFtoBC