cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Plugs

Peter56
Just Moved In
I bought a GE smart plug. It says it needs to connect to a 2.4GHz network. I have a TELUS T3200M modem.
The plugs fail to connect to the wifi. Is the TELUS network 2.4GHz or do you think the connection problem is something else?
I read somewhere that the TELUS wifi is smart and automatically switches between 2.4 and 5GHz, but I don’t know if I have this.
Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes, if you turn off SmartSteering, you will need to connect your devices to the new SSID name, but it would only need to be done once.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
Log into your modem via a browser 192.168.1.254 and login credentials on the sticker of the modem.

Select “wireless setup” on the left tab click on “smart steering” and make sure it’s disabled and click apply. You will have two separate networks. A 2.4 and 5ghz. Under basic settings you can setup the wifi 2.4 and 5ghz for passwords, encryption etc.

With some devices they fail to see a 2.4ghz network when smart steering is on.

Thanks for the quick reply. If I do this, is there any chance that it will screw up other connections to anything else such as iPhone, TV, etc.
If there is a possibility of other things going wrong I may not want to risk any changes and just return the plugs.
Thanks

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes, if you turn off SmartSteering, you will need to connect your devices to the new SSID name, but it would only need to be done once.

NFtoBC

I tried this method, but as soon as I turned off Smart Steering, I was kicked off the internet and had to call TELUS to re-enable it and put me back. I was on hold for so long I didn't want to bother getting into the whole smart plug thing once I finally got back  online. How can this be done seamlessly without being booted off?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I’ve and many others done it many  times without losing internet. Your experience is unique in my experience. Other than setting up another router on Bridged port 1, or requesting an updated router, I don’t see another path to addressing this.

NFtoBC

I am unable to connect tp link smart plugs to wifi. I have followed all the instructions you have posted without success. Are there any other solutions?