Smart Plugs

Highlighted
Peter56
Resident
I bought a GE smart plug. It says it needs to connect to a 2.4GHz network. I have a TELUS T3200M modem.
The plugs fail to connect to the wifi. Is the TELUS network 2.4GHz or do you think the connection problem is something else?
I read somewhere that the TELUS wifi is smart and automatically switches between 2.4 and 5GHz, but I don’t know if I have this.
Thanks
Community Power User
Community Power User
Log into your modem via a browser 192.168.1.254 and login credentials on the sticker of the modem.

Select “wireless setup” on the left tab click on “smart steering” and make sure it’s disabled and click apply. You will have two separate networks. A 2.4 and 5ghz. Under basic settings you can setup the wifi 2.4 and 5ghz for passwords, encryption etc.

With some devices they fail to see a 2.4ghz network when smart steering is on.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Peter56
Resident
Thanks for the quick reply. If I do this, is there any chance that it will screw up other connections to anything else such as iPhone, TV, etc.
If there is a possibility of other things going wrong I may not want to risk any changes and just return the plugs.
Thanks
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes, if you turn off SmartSteering, you will need to connect your devices to the new SSID name, but it would only need to be done once.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"