Smart Hub service in Rural Areas?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

ghelfrick
Resident

Good afternoon,

I've made some attempts to check eligibility through Telus (spoke with 4 sales people), to qualify for the Smart Hub internet service in a rural area. My rural address (confirmed with the MD of Foothills) does not register in Telus' system, making me ineligible for the service. However, there are individuals very nearby in Bragg Creek, AB who are up and running with this service from Telus.

I have a phone plan with Telus and tested the DL speed at the rural property last night. It was 36Mbps, which I'm ok with (if I were allowed service for the Smart Hub). Telus has this self-test options available (https://www.telus.com/en/ab/support/article/telus-high-speed-internet-with-smart-hub-self-test) however if I go into a Telus store to buy a Smart Hub and enable the rural data plan, I will be denied because Telus does not recognise my Rural address as eligible

The 4 Sales members with Telus do not seem aware of solutions available to help me. I've offered to provide the lat + long. The MD of Foothills has offered to speak with Telus to confirm my location.

My alternative is Rogers, for their Rocket Hub service (same thing as Telus' Smart Hub). Rogers is ready to sell me a Rocket Hub and enable a data plan immediately. The only downside is their data plan is most expensive then Telus.

I have a Telus Smart Hub reserved for pick up this Friday and would love to have a solution to give Telus my business for rural internet. If there are any solutions available, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll have to go with Rogers who is making this very easy for customers like me.

Thanks! - Graham

Community Power User
Community Power User

My understanding is Telus is only offering this service from certain towers, and not from all, which is why some locations are available. Thus it would appear, that Telus will not provision the Hub, unless in specific locations.  @Mobility_Princess may have more details. 

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
ghelfrick
Resident

Understood. If Telus has a coverage map, it'd be helpful. Otherwise, I'm left feeling they have coverage in my area but are being selective in who they allow the service to.

Community Power User
Community Power User

There's 'coverage' in my area, but no availability to obtain the Hub service. Telus seems selective on service areas, but not on an address by address basis.

NFtoBC
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

It's quite selective because now they're running into issues with over saturation. Too many people in one area with these things slowing down the tower speeds. You also have to be close enough to the tower or it just doesn't pick up the connection good enough. If you're at least 10km within the tower there's no point. I've had customers who are 17km away from a tower and they get nothing. So 15km is pushing it. I'd say 13km would be max you could be away from the tower. Yes it is that specific. So that's why our tech team has to look up your specific address, any issues with your tower and how far you are. Then there's certain rural areas that are only listed as eligible. Bragg Creek is an eligible area. Also the service agreement does say service not guaranteed. So you could be in a 24 month contract waiting for service or having it intermittently. I do love these things but, as your case shows the eligibility criteria makes it a poor customer experience. You could our sales team! They are determined in getting these mailed out if you are eligible 1-888-692-8888. 

Mobility Client Care Rep
Fisherguy
Advocate

We're looking at moving to the interior of BC where TELUS does not offer Optik TV or DSL, it's not cost effective for them to do that in the rural areas, their big priority is DSL and FTH in the big cities and ensuring people in those big cities have 4k TV.

Anyhow, we looked into a home north of Kamloops, the online tool said Smart Hub is not available there but when I ran a speed test on my phone at the house I got download speed of 38meg, upload of 6meg.  Not what I'm used to in the big city but something I could live with to be living in a rural environment.  The problem is I've learned the cell tower feeding the area we were hoping to buy is fed by microwave, not enough bandwith for TELUS to offer the Smart Hub service.  The towers need to be fed by fibre cable before they offer Smart Hub.  I was told I could still have the smart hub setup but I'd have to pay regular mobility rates for my useage, not really an affordable option. 

Also, before we looked at the house I called TELUS, told them my issue with the website and the guy on the phone said Smart Hub IS available at the address even though the website said it wasn't.  I was skeptical, so called them again  a few days later only to be told the it's NOT available there, so don't put too much faith on the first line customer service reps when you call in.

TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Sorry about all the inconsistencies! That's the issue with this smarthub plan. It's a really amazing plan however, it's limited to certain areas and there's no clear cut eligibility laid out for customers or employees. So that's why you get all these mixed answers! It would be nice if Telus would update that smarthub plan with clear eligibility and communities that are being offered the hub. A new tool where you can enter your address and just be told yes or no on the website. Otherwise we end up with a poor customer experience like this. Smiley Sad You should suggest this under the ideas section! I've suggested it internally but, they need to hear it from customers too!

Mobility Client Care Rep
Community Power User
Community Power User
Have you tried Shaw? Their cable network covers a broader installed base than Telus Fibre.
NFtoBC
NordeggAB
Neighbour

You dont want the smart hub.  After the trail period Telus degraded my download speed so bad its useless. My cell phone will download at 10 MB  and ther telus hub is less than 1 MB    I'm stuck paying $75 a month for crap internet. So are several of my neighbors. We are all pissed off. I am swicthing my phones to bell after being with telus for over 35 years.

IanB
Resident

I'd have to agree with this comment.  Mine worked fine for the first 2 months, during that time the signal strength was always green and the speed was really good, since then the signal has got worse and worse and the speed has got slower and slower.  The hub locks up every night so I need to spend 10 minutes every day switching it on and off before it starts working.  It seems highly suspicious to me that it worked so well during the evaluation period and then dropped off so quickly once I got out of that period.

As to availability - I went to a dealer and asked about the hub, they checked exactly where I lived (I'm in AB) and confirmed it was available for the tower near us, gave us the hub, we went home, plugged it in and it worked, no fuss no issues.

Rlott
Resident

Same ineligible problem in Cariboo. Due to trees we can't get sattelite WiFi. Have strong signal from telus tower 1km away. Yet we know 2 people WITH the Hub using this tower! They applied with an address that has hub access but moved the box . we are left with no option except phone data.

DianaBl
Resident

Hi Graham,

I am curious if this was ever rectified for you? We also live just outside Priddis and have a Rogers hub and you are correct that it is much more expensive. 

Did you you end up with Rogers or go with Telus? I may be interested based on your answer (haha)

Thank you Graham 

Diana

Highlighted
MichelleG
Resident

Hello, I'm located in Aldersyde and wondered if you managed to get your Telus up and working? I too have been frustrated by the lack of rural internet considering how close to Okotoks and High River we are.