Slow Speeds ~(50Mbps) on the Fibre 150 plan

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

goodhorseytime
Helpful Neighbour

Hi,

I've recently been set up on Telus Fibre and when using the included Actiontech router my speeds are ~150Mbps bidirectional. When replacing that router with my own, my speeds are ~50Mbps. 

Any ideas why that might be the case? I need to use my own router for various reasons, so I really need to get the speed where I need it with my own. My router is an brand new Apple Airport Extreme.

Thanks!

Community Power User
Community Power User
What are your speeds hard wired to the AirPort Extreme?

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
goodhorseytime
Helpful Neighbour

I just checked, interestingly the wired speed is 150! What does that mean? 

Community Power User
Community Power User
It means your wireless is impacted somehow. Possibly interference from neighbouring Wi-Fi, or devices which cannot reach higher speeds. To get top Wi-Fi speeds, your device needs to access both 2.4 and 5 MHz bands simultaneously. Not all devices can do so.
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
goodhorseytime
Helpful Neighbour

Can you suggest a way to troubleshoot this?

Community Power User
Community Power User
Download a wifi analyzer app and see what wireless radio channels are being used around you. Then change the wireless channel accordingly on your modem.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

A few things to remember:

Some devices cannot achieve 150 Mbps on Wi-Fi

High speed connections are meant more for multiple users than a single user getting all the bandwidth

Many servers cannot sustain anything near 150 Mbps to users 

As @WestCoasterBC states, you can have interference from neighbouring Wi-Fi

The placement of your router can affect the bandwidth it delivers

Distance from the router affects speed to the device, as can walls, microwave ovens, and other electrical appliances

Sometimes one slow device on a network can slow all.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
leaf4444life
Resident

to get the fastest internet speed wireless you need to connect to the 5g band on the router if your devices do not show 5g you will never get 150 wireless

goodhorseytime
Helpful Neighbour
Yes, that’s the interesting thing. The same devices receive 15Mbps speeds on the Telus router. When switching to a brand new Airport Extreme I receive 50Mpbs speeds.

Any ideas for troubleshooting the wireless speeds. The devices are clearly not the problem, what else could it be do you think?

Josh
ChrisCK
Connector
Josh, I'm assuming it's the WiFi connections that are fluctuating and not the wired connections.

Try logging into the admin for the Actiontech T3200M modem and go to advanced settings. Change IPv6 from Stateless to Disabled. Apply settings. Re-test speeds.
goodhorseytime
Helpful Neighbour

Thanks for the reply. Turns out it was my wifi. It took me hours of trial and error to sort it out but what ended up fixing it was to buy another Apple Airport Extreme router and extend my "ac" network to the rest of the house. It also made a big difference when I turned off the 2Ghz network. Now I have fibre speed wifi around my house! Happy to have it finally sorted.

Community Manager
Community Manager

That's awesome @goodhorseytime Smiley Happy

Any tips you can share with other users that could help them if they encounter the same issue?