Sim sub, is it being done correctly?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Advocate

Tonight, Oct 22, while watching NFL SNF, Seattle HD channel 135 was being substituted with CTV TWO BC channel 102. This is what I'd expect.  

I noticed that Time Shift Boston HD channel 260 was also being substituted with CTV TWO BC channel 102 as there is no CTV TWO east feed in the time shift package. I thought TELUS ws only required to sub on a regional basis? 

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

My understanding is if CTV has broadcast rights to that programming in Canada, they have ALL the rights, so Sim Sub would include all channels.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Advocate

There is no question they (in this case CTV) have the rights for the program in Canada. The use of sim sub is based on regional coverage. The issue here is that as Optik clients, CTV TWO east is not included in our time shift package, TELUS does not have to sub, even if CTV asks them to, anything other than the regional feed.

Previous experience with the CRTC: when Global tried to sub HD Global Toronto for HD Seattle before Global Vancouver was HD capable, sim sub was disallowed. 

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Simultaneous substitution of HD signal over SD signal is discussed in this article, and is a different situation than you describe.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Advocate

Sorry for the confusion, I was implying that when discussing with the Commission re-subs of SD vs HD, incite to sim sub was gained. 

" to distribute the signal of a local or regional over-the-air station in place of the signal of a foreign or non-local television station, when the two stations are broadcasting identical programming simultaneously." per the article you referenced, it is clear that for NBC Boston during the NFL game, a local or regional station (similar time zone, CTV TWO Montreal or Toronto or Maritime - if it exists) would have been acceptable and expected. 

The substitution of CTV TWO BC in the BOston NBC channel is not, IMO.